1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Chokes For Doubles?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerryw, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I am looking at a O/U to shoot doubles with. It is fixed Full and Full. I think it is .038 or .039. If I purchase it I will want want to have it choked for doubles.

Taking into consideration that I have shot very few doubles (and I am old and slow). What would be the best choke constrictions?

Thanks
    Jerry Walker

2. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

shoot it the way it is, otherwise you will spend money to make your gun worth less.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

1. Reread fearlessfain's post.

2. Read it again.

There is nothing wrong with those chokes for Dubs. Just get your eyes to the second target and don't admire the first target you just BOILED. LOL

You will ALWAYS have enough choke on the ATA field. I use SK/SK on the obvious game, F/F for everything else. Works for me.

4. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Good responses. I just thought you had to open them up to shoot doubles. I shoot a gun that is choked .035 for 16 yd. and handicap.

Jerry Walker

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jerry, rather than open the bottom choke, try using 8 1/2 shot for the first shot. That will have the same effect.

I'm not a terrific doubles shooter, but I'll tell you that you know where the first bird is going to be. So choke isn't as important as many think. I'll also tell you that when the wind plays tricks and the first bird doesn't appear where you expected it, a .015" choke with 1 1/8oz #9 isn't going to save your butt.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Then, get the bottom opened up to .20 or so and use it for singles too, like the big dogs do.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jerry, if left to their judgement most of the famed barrel smiths will establish a constriction somewhere close to .018 in the bottom and .030 in the top if the gun is to be used strictly for doubles. In patterning guns I would say if your looking for any real advantage on the first shot, then look at .015 for the bottom the top doesn't need adjusting.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I use .020" & .030", choke-tubes

John C. Saubak

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Jerry Walker :

Ok I had a gun sent off to have choke tubes put in back in the mid 1980's I thought I would ter them up when I got it back but I was dissapoineted maybe it was because I didn't know how to shoot doubles to begin with.

Ok myself now I have just fixed chokes in my over and under's and they are factory bottom is Improved Modified and the top is Full. I know I could break more with more open chokes but im a fixed choked kind of guy from now on and I have broke a 100 and a lot futher down also. in doubles.

Anyway pheasantmaster is a pretty good shot so might want to save his post for later.

Foghorn

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I shoot them fairly quick so I err towards the very loose end of the spectrum...I have a 32" GTI and am using Briley extended IC in the bottom and MOD for the top...or even LMOD if they are dancing around because of the wind

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

leave it be....

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Old and slow = .020 first barrel and .030 second barrel. That said the more you shoot doubles the faster you will get. HMB

13. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

All good posts Thanks for the input.

Jerry Walker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.