1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST CHOKES FOR BUNKER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mflora, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mflora

mflora Member

Advice please. I have a reasonably light 30" stepribbed barrel w/ tight .723 bores and fixed chokes at .026/.036 that I use for live birds. Was planning to use it for bunker as well but am being told my doubles barrel at .020/.030 better. Thoughts? Does it really matter?
    Mark

2. mflora

mflora Member

Advice please. I have a reasonably light 30" stepribbed barrel w/ tight .723 bores and fixed chokes at .026/.036 that I use for live birds. Was planning to use it for bunker as well but am being told my doubles barrel at .020/.030 better. Thoughts? Does it really matter?
    Mark

3. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

You'vbe started a poll. You're going have people come down on both sides. Either is probably fine fine with 1 ounce, which is what you'll likely be shooting. I'd bet any halfway serious bunker shooter would prefer the tighter set. If I were using a bonafide 7/8 ounce, I'd really want that .026.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I use .024 & .040 (#6 & #10 Perazzi factory) chokes. 29.5" flat rib 1.5 kg. 18.4 mm bores.

5. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

You would be better off going with the tighter set.

Jeff Holguin

6. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

What you have will work! I would just shoot it! You will always be given differnt opinions!!!

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Use the .26/.36 barrel. Those chokes are about perfect for bunker.

Where aer you going to shoot bunker?

Tom

8. mflora

mflora Member

Kerrville. Thanks for all of the feedback.
    Mark

9. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Mark, see you in Kerrville. I use Perazzi 6 & 9 chokes. The best answer I've heard to that question is tight and tighter.

Hal

10. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

In my opinion it depends a lot on how fast you shoot. I shoot a Citori with LM and M and do very well on bunker. I have switched to M and F before and did not see a big difference in hits although I did "dust" a couple of them close in!

11. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

I use 5 or 6 1st and 9 or 10 2nd. It depends how quick you are!

Aaron Holguin

12. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Aaron, you aren't talking about double trap are u? What chokes do you use for doubles, the same? Or a more open choke for the 1st bird?

btw- do those flash targets explode when the powder goes off or what? They always look like they are smoked, whether hit at 20 meteres or 60?

Thanks, Sportshot (in Colorado) ooops, I mistook yu for Jeff again, didn't I?

13. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

There is a pretty good discussion of bunker chokes -- with actual patterning results at the link above. Might be of value . . .

- - Bill

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sportshot, the flash targets just have orange powder in a little packet. Its like the consistency of flour.

You can do the same thing by putting some flour in the indented dome on top of a target and gluing a thin paper disk on top.

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

At the very first Make A Break shoot at Harlingen TX, we actually made flash target for all 7 colors,Orange, white and black you can buy, but we made the blue, green, red and yellow ones in the barn. Got the pastels from an art shop, cut out the paper discs, filled the pockets and sprayed the various colors on the barn floor. It was televised on ESPN, I was the ref, and I still have a video tape of it.

16. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

My experience has been that most shotgunners are over-choked. I took my factory .035 / .041" MX-8 and relieved the chokes to 0.025 / 0.030". I have noticed that I am actually getting better breaks with both barrels. Just my $0.02. J.F. Wolfington

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I stole these words from another thread about chokes, from BAD303, and it was specifically about Muller chokes, but can be said about anyone looking for that "edge." Worth repeating:

<i>"There really is no magic choke, just as there is no magic gun."</i>

18. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

In competition (I think) Bunker is shot with 24 gram loads moving at 1350 fps (or something like that).

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

IMOD and FULL are hard to beat for most shooters. XF on the second shot will be good if your gun will perform with this choke. Many guns do not do well with chokes over 35 points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best chokes for shooting bunker

best perazzi chokes for bunker

bunker shooting chokes
chokes for bunker
european bunker trap
perazzi choke chartnest chokes for bunker
perazzi chokes for bunkes
perazzi chokes for european bunker