1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

OK this may e a loaded Question? Whats the best choke for 16 yard singles. I shoot a xt trap 32" barrels ?

2. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

The IM that came with it. Not being a smartass.

3. torqueman

torqueman Member

Whats the advantage to extended and light full? THANKS JOE

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Try it without the chokes in it. The threads put a spin on the load and provide rifle-like accuracy.

-Gary

5. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

One time this summer - I was real anxious and in a hurry to get shooting. Had an absolutely awful 1st round .... got about 3-4 very light breaks out of 25. To say the least, I was feeling pretty disappointed in my ability. It wasnt till I got back to the bench and started "thinking" .... that I realized I didnt have any choke tubes in the gun !!!

6. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Bluskyshooter,

I have done the same thing,shot a whole round in practice with out a choke tube in it,what a relief to see there wasn't a tube in it !!!!.My score was afull with real measly hits and a lot of misses.Big difference with choke in LOL.

Sandy Holehouse.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You guys must have been pointing it like a shotgun. Without choke tubes, you need to aim it like a rifle.

-Gary

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

Aleauge nite a teamate shot 10 targets for practice 2 from each post broke all 10 then the match started, he broke 14, couldn't figure out what was going on. He had cleaned his berreta 391 and never put the choke back in DOOOOH!!

Needless to say we lost that night
    Bob S

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Joe, The number one reason to have a extended choke tube is to have a pretty flashy one the end of the barrel to make it look nice to other shooters. 2nd reason is make it easier to change chokes. If you buy good quality chokes there is no difference in the effectiveness of a extended over a flush choke. As far as which choke to use? This is highly debated!!! A Modified, A Improved Modified, or a full??? Start with the Improved Modified for a month or so. During that time try to shoot 3 shots with each of your chokes at a patterning board on a piece of paper. Take them home and look at the patterns for a couple of weeks and then see if you want to make a change up or down in choke size. If your not sure do it again the following week. As a newbie you need to work on form, proper swing, foot postion, and getting a good set site picture in your mind. So just keep your head on the stock, eye on the target and put the barrel in front of the target without looking at the end of the barrel. Thats why its said you point a shotgun and do not aim it. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

At 16 yds. If the threads fit, use it. Starting out I would suggest a full. Makes you have to be more accurate, learn the techniques of trapshooting, and doing it right.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Depends on how long the tube is..unextended.. If you have a very short factory tube.. many gains can be had with more distance to develop a gradual transition in the choke section.. IE. Tegue chokes..(1 long taper)... If you already have a long choketube like a Briley series 2.. or Perazzi series 4..or a factory Kolar.. there is little to be gained... The first reason for extended tubes was for steel shot...If you bulged in the choke section.. you did not hurt the barrel..

Everything that is popular in barrels today..has a reason.. I know of nothing that is simply cosmetic.. Some things work better than others..

I remember in my younger year having a MX3 barrel I totally tricked out..Changed the rib to flat tapered sporting.. and had Ballistic Specialties do "The Works" to it.. Long chokes,backboring..porting... ultra long forcing cones.. While I still think one at a time.. most of these things are BS.. when I added them all up.. the barrel wound up being one of the best barrels I ever owned...

Now.. I've counted holes.. and played with shells.. and wads.. and loads.. and shot.. Not just read a post and think it's all the truth..I've been there and done it the hard way..

This is not to say that somewhere out there is a Winchoke/Invector that doesn't pattern well... just you'll find a ton of longer chokes that pattern better..without any real tuning..

12. racer

racer TS Member

I use extended Midas chokes to keep the end of the gun from getting marked up by my shoe. I loosen them a turn or so anytime I put the gun away. It's easy to waste alot of money on different chokes. Any kind of restriction at the end of the barrel will produce pretty much the same pattern. (choke restriction)Dan

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The IMOD choke is about right for 16 yard targets. It should have about 0.030" to 0.033" of constriction. The chokes you got with the gun will work just fine, you don't need to get an aftermarket product to get good performance.

What you want to see is a big black smoke cloud when you have centered the target in the pattern. That is how you have enough choke but more importantly if you are not getting the smoke cloud but you are using enough choke then you know you aren't putting the shot exactly where it needs to go.

14. torqueman

torqueman Member

THANKS for the great advice cant wait to go out and break them all. Trap shooting seems to be alot like golf 90% ability 10% equipment !
    Thanks for the help JOE

15. Nicholas

Nicholas TS Member

The best choke for 16 yard? The one that's in my Remington 90t. Fixed full 0.034". Man that 90 Remington T is one mean target grinding machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.