1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Choke for the 16 yard line ...?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yunggun4, Aug 2, 2013.

1. yunggun4

yunggun4 Member

Need help with knowing which choke to use. Grandpa always said Full Full and Full...

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It depends on how fast you shoot. If you acquire the target quickly and shoot it, you could do it with any of those chokes. If you admire the target before deciding to shoot it, then better put in a Full choke. There is lots of money spent on buying and changing chokes in hopes of achieving better success. Most of the time, the money would be better spent on a lesson. Mark

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Trap is not skeet or sporting clays that you have to change choke tubes every station or yardage move. Improve modified or light full will take you from the 16 yard line back to 27. Worry about the target, color lenses for glasses, wind conditions, 1 or 1 1/8 loads... leave your choke tubes alone. Fred

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

That's a typical forum answer, use a choke that you don't have. You will be really good if you just go buy another choke. The above link is an interesting read and makes a good case for using a Modified choke. Mark

5. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

MOD or IMOD for 16 is plenty....my .02 worth.....

6. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Grandpa knows best.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The one on the right. "Set it, and forget it!"

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Harlan Campbell had me take out my full choke and put in a mod in a clinic years ago, and I've been shooting Mod in singles ever since. Every time I barely chip a bird, we call it a "Thank you, Harlan" shot. It's a bird I would have missed with a Full choke. Unless you're really hot, you will always chip a couple. 98 or 95, it's a choice.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Out of what you got there..MOD ..my Guerini and Berettas do fine with mod all the way to the fence

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

yunggun4, realistically, the name on your choke tube really doesn't tell you anything. Your best choice of choke for 16 yards is the one that produces 85% patterns at the average distance you take your birds at, regardless of what is marked on the tube.

11. yunggun4

yunggun4 Member

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to try the modified. After I looked up Harlan on YouTube it seems like that guy knows best

12. SuperXThree

SuperXThree Member

Long as it is Full, put whatever you want in. Me personally, I want breaks that are going to build confidence, not rely on the fringe to break the bird.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

When they write the score on the sheet they don't grade the hit. I will take every chip and piece over your smoke balls every time. I have only shot modified for the last several years and if it didn't work I would have changed. Don't handicap the kid anymore that he already is.

I think I have enough 100's and 200's to know something about it.

Don

14. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

If you want to change chokes full for practice mod for score. Tom

15. AZ

AZ Member

Big dogs in the final shoot offs are all shooting full ,,, any other questions??

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Remember-we are not big dogs- use what works for you in your gun. In my Infinity a LM Briley with 1 oz loads vaporizes any target I hit correctly. I'm talking zero pieces--not smoke--nothing left.
    What would a tighter choke do---nothing.. Match the choke to your gun, shooting style, and ammo.

Phil Berkowitz.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I always enjoy hearing choke preferences from shooters with D Singles averages. Big Leo says FULL. There are differences in pattern quality with chokes marked MOD. I prefer smoke with a Wilkinson .024 choke but broke my highest Singles average (98.28) with factory FULL (.034). Maybe some shooters would improve their shooting skills with a tighter choke!!

18. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

With what everyone has said above it is safe to say to use what works best for you, your gun and the shells you use. Only time behind the wheel will tell the story. Good luck with your shooting and shoot often.

19. drgondog

drgondog Member

I eventually evolved into .018-.022 for both trap and Box Flyers for first choke. I spent a lot of money figuring out that those chokes worked for me at 16yd, and 29M.

Hand thrown (first at Doubles) IC (~.10) in low wind.

I know too many great shots however that shoot IM at ~ .030 to argue the point

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Use the "M" (modified)

Search tags for this page
16 yard trap best choke
best 16 yard choke

best choke for 16 yard trap

best loads for 16 yard trap and skeet phil bourjaily
best trap chokes 16 yards
choke for 16 yard trap targets
what choke for 16 yard trap
what is the best choke for the 16 yard line