1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best choke for new shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazzi-tm1, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzi-tm1

perazzi-tm1 TS Member

What is the best choke for a new trap shooter? /

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

For 16 yards, I would recommend starting with a modified choke.

3. perazzi-tm1

perazzi-tm1 TS Member

4. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Impmod good for 16 and HC

5. perazzi-tm1

perazzi-tm1 TS Member

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

At all of Leo's clinics he suggests a FULL choke (his only concession is for the first shot of doubles). His reasoning is that with a full choke, the shooter learns to be a better "pointer". You can better read your hits and adjust when necessary.

7. RichK

RichK Member

As a retired teacher, I have to think that the most important thing for anyone new at anything is having some reasonable success at it. I started over 40 years ago with a full choke and a 30" barrel and it was really tough to get into the twenties with any real consistency. I have been shooting with a modified choke first with a 28" barrel O/U and now with a 32" single and my scores are pretty much in the 23/24 average area with a good smattering of straights. Just last week I was shooting with a squad that had some new shooters in it. One of the guys was shooting what looked like a very nice gun but he was having difficulty getting past 2's and 3's at any of the stations. He was shooting very quickly and with a full choke as I learned later. I mentioned to him that he might want to let the birds get a little further out before trying to hit them.
    Had he been using a modified choke, I have no doubt he would have hit more. Would they be classic in the middle of them hits? No, but they would have been hits and he certainly would have looked a lot better than he did when I was talking to him later on. If he cannot get any better, why would he stay in the sport? Let him tighten up the patterns later when he has more confidence.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sorry freds and leo. If you are a really new shooter you probably have enough problems reading the birds let alone reading your hits. You need your confidence built up more than anything at this point. Chip-em, chunk-em, chink-em, smoke-em all can be done with the Mod. Get accustomed to breaking birds then start refining what you are doing to break better scores. If you don't score you are going to get upset and quit the sport.

Shoot the Mod one day and see how you do then try the Full for a day and compare. Right now you need targets under your belt so you can better understand what is happening.

Have shot a mod for years, as I need all the help I can get.

What ever you pick - shoot and have fun.

Don

9. miner1

miner1 Member

This is exactly where I am at in my shooting so thought I'd give my 2 cents also. I've been shooting for over 20 years but only ~4-6K rounds under my belt due to clubs too far away, raising childern etc... Shot league this summer and had fun, but not hitting enough birds to gain confidence. I too subscribe to full choke mentality but lately would take the hits over 'doing what's right' according to the pros. I'm now to the point of totally smoking the target or missing completely (no chips) I'm not to the point of being able to give sound advice, but no matter the choke, you MUST keep your head on the stock and your eye on the rock!!!!! My next gun will have fixed chokes so I can't play the choke game as much. I didn't answer the question in this long post, but maybe will give new shooters (or anyone) some info to work with. Natural ability has A LOT to do with this game also or we would all be AAA shooters.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Which choke patterns the best for the shells they will be using? Answer that and you'll know. Wayne

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

For a beginner, the most important thing is for them to get programmed into their mind what sequence of actions leads to a SMOKED target. You want that vivid image. A choke that rolls the target up into a little ball when they successfully do everything right, creates that image.

What you want to stay away from, is any kind of choke that produces minimal visual difference between a perfectly-pointed target and a cheesy break. Once they start to get those mixed up in their mind, they're headed down one of 157 different highways to hell.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Like BigDon, I'd also say mod.. it is important to learn to run before you become a sprinter....

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I get a kick out of those who think they know more than Leo... He watched me shoot a handful of birds.. told me 3 sentences.. and put me in the winners circle.. Well.. the best I can say.. is he was dead on for me..and I owe him alot.. And yes.. full choke.. unless you have an extra full...

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you want a new shooter to break targets.. lock the machine to throw 1 target..and put him on station 3.. then 2 and 4... then 1 and 5.. for at least 1000 rounds.. Teach him the basics before he needs to deal with a unknown target.. Then move forward from there..

15. nords

nords Member

How do you or does the gun shoot. I have a BT 100 and a light mod is great from 16 to 20, I have a 682 and a mod works better???? How fast you shot is a big part of this. My son and I shot very fast.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Use the tightest choke that still allows you to get hits. For most beginners this is IC or Mod. Once you start to get the hang of it, go to the next choke up.<br>
    <br>
    I disagree with those advocating a beginner start with a full choke. They've got enough frustration and pressure just getting started. It's better to hit half the clays than none of the clays. I've seen new kids lose interest when well intentioned adults set them up with full chokes.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Maybe it depends on the shooter. Some new ones take their targets quite a distance from the trap while others attempt to blow them up right off the roof.

Like shoes, one size doesn't fit all!!

18. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Put a full choke in and don't look back. It's silly to use a mod at
    16 yards and then change to another choke for handicap. The full choke
    does it all.

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Modified

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

A new shooter has several important things to learn (gun mount, head on stock, see the target) and he should concentrate on these and worry about the minor things, such as choke, at a later time. The Mod/Full question might, at the very most, make a difference of one bird out of several hundred. Not staying in the gun will make a difference of 40-60 birds per hundred. Why we worry so much about the little things and pay little attention to the big things is a puzzle for me.

Pat Ireland

PS- My friend, Big Don, likes modified chokes for singles. But if I changed his tube without his knowledge, I would bet he would never notice it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke for beginning trap shooting

best choke for new trap shooter

best choke tubes for beginning trap shooter

what choke for new shooter