1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best choke for 16 - 20 yards

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Fraz, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Shooting 1 1/8 th ounce from the 16 - 20 yard line what is your opinion on the best choke to use. thanks Fraz

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Improved Modified....

If you feel you'll need a slight advantage, then use a Modified choke.

Curt - Delaware

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

IM briley spectrum exstended choke. got me back to 21y so far. My wife uses a factory browning MOD in her Gold dporting clays for trap does just fine.

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I shot a few rounds by mistake with the choke tube out once - it did not work well. Other than that, I don't think it makes much difference, as long as there is some choke.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

IC or LM will break them just fine with that much shot!

ec90t

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Choke for smoke!!!! extra turkey full.

8. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

make Phil Kiner proud, anything that produces smoke is satasfactory

9. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

MODIFIED TO THE 21 AND FULL ALL OTHERS!!!! LM FIRST DOUBLES/IM SECOND..XFULL FOR THE CHIP SHOOTS....i JUST LOVE TO DUST THE LITTLE ONES AT 45 YDS!

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The tighter the choke, the longer the shot string, and trap wants long shot strings and tight patterns not big open patterns and short shot strings full of holes. IM or LF at 16 yrds, Full any further back.

11. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Full choke. Open chokes breed sloppy execution and carelessness.

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

.036 for me, same for cap's.

GS

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Full or extra full. Whichever you choose, just leave it in. Either works well for handicap too.

14. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

20 thou

15. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Off the 16's, with 1 1/8 oz of shot, a light mod will work just fine, rather have 100 chips than 98 smokes. Same goes for the 20 yard use a IM from there back to the 24, then go to a full.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Patern your gun and see which choke gives an acceptable pattern at the yardages you expect to break targets at. Not all chokes peform as marked. I have a Modified that gives a light full pattern and a full choke that gives a Modified pattern, at best. A Modified or Improved Modified "PATTERN" would do the trick for you at the yardages you mentioned. You can certainly go tighter if you desire to do so. I just shot an Improved Modified choke from well beyond the 27 yard line for the long range games this evening. I was in the money for one and in the top three for the next. A full choke would probably have done no better. The patterns from my full choke tube are very dense in the center but horrible outside the center ten inch circle. The Improved Modified is nice and even in the middle twenty inches. My scores reflect the same as I have observed by patterning the gun. A different load or gun may perform totally different than what I observed.

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Fraz, you got some good advice here plus a lot of drivel. Follow the good advice and go pattern your gun at_the_distance_you_take_your_targets_at. You'll need at least 5 patterns with each of the tubes you plan to use. Then start counting holes in the 20" and 30" circles around the center of your pattern.

After you have analyzed the patterns, choose the choke that gave you at least 75% of the pellets inside the 30" circle. That's the minimum. 85% would actually be better if you are a good shot.

Let's say you patterned at 35 yards, because that's where you estimated you take your singles targets at. Let's also say you used 1 1/8oz #8, and the three tubes you patterned averaged 72%, 78% and 89%. The 72% tube is a little more open than optimal. If you wanted to use that tube for singles you could make up for the missing density by throwing more shot. Switching to 1oz # 8 1/2 shot would make up the difference. Using 1 1/8oz 8 1/2 shot would give even more density. Both 8 1/2 shot loads will give you a wider effective pattern with that tube than the 8 shot will.

Your 78% tube is perfect for the 1 1/8 #8 shot load. You can still up your chances by using 8 1/2 shot, but not by a lot.

The tube that gave you 89% patterns is tighter than you need at 35 yards, but move back to 40 yards and that tube will only give you 75% patterns.

So after having done all this work you would know that the 72% tube @34yds would work fine for singles using 1oz or 1 1/8oz of 8 1/2 shot. Your 78% tube would be fine using 1oz 8 1/2 or 1 1/8oz 8 shot. The 89% tube would work for handicap from the 20 or 21yard line using 1 1/8oz 8 shot (where it will return about 75% patterns).

Have fun patterning and counting holes. Doing it any other way is the same as guessing. You'll also learn you cannot take what is stamped on the choke tube as gospel.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use a full choke tube because I do not want to change tubes between events. I could never remember which tube is in the gun. You could probably smoke a target from the 16-20 with a tube that patterns IM. I cannot reduce a target to dust consistently with a modified choke tube.

Capt. Morgan- On shot string- If you look at the numbers, it becomes apparent that a target will travel about 1.5 inches between arrival of shot in the front of a pattern and the rear of the pattern with a hypothetical 6 foot shot string. This means that for practical purposes, shot string is not relevant and looking at a shot cloud as a two dimensional distribution is fairly accurate.

Pat Ireland

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Fraz.... I subscribe to the "choke for smoke" theory as well. I shoot a .034" choke in my DB-81 for singles and handicap. The barrel was done by Tom Wilkinson, and is set up as a 27 yard handicap barrel. I shoot 11/8oz. of reclaimed shot for singles and 71/2's for handicaps. My singles targets are reduced to a cloud of smoke with this barrel. I have found it to make me a better shooter as it allows me to read my breaks, every time, and the feedback from those reads helps me understand where I'm shooting, and how to center the shot more often than not. A more open choke will only help you become sloppy with your shot placement, and it will teach you absolutely nothing. To become the best shooter you can be, you must know EXACTLY where your gun shoots, and where your shot is going to impact the target. Anything less is pure guess work and has no place in trapshooting. A full choke is the only way to get this information. You can shoot whatever choke you want, but remember this: A more open choke won't make you a better shooter, it will only help you get lucky, once in a while, when you make a bad shot.....Just my opinion...Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The longer your shot string, the thinner your pattern in any one spot.
    Long shot strings are never, repeat NEVER, a good thing.

A target, either live or inanimate, will not "fly into a shot string"; the shot is much too fast and the target is much too slow.

Choke selection at relatively close ranges is a very personal choice. If you take your birds out of the house at no more than average trap distances/timing, any choke from IC to super full will break them reliably.
    Because the tighter chokes require more precise shooting and produce very satisfying breaks (or clean misses), they are generally the choke of choice by the more experienced shooters who can utilize the tighter/denser patterns produced by these chokes.

It's interesting that 99% of the shooters who advocate full choke because it will "force you to get better", don't recommend a super full, extra full, or turkey full. If a full choke would force you to get better, wouldn't an even tighter choke force you to get better faster, or to get better than better? :)

(if a full choke forced me to get better, how come my averages haven't improved since I went from MOD to FULL????)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
16 yard trap
16 yard trap strategy

best choke for 16 yard singles trap

extended ic choke for 16 yard trap
is a modified choke good for trap
trap shooting from the 20 yard line
what is the best choke for trap shooting
what is the best choke tube for 16 yard trapshooting