1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Best Charger for NiMH AA's ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always had trouble with AA batteries holding a charge until I got this new camera. It has a setting that you can use to "completely" drain the batteries before charging. It gives them new memory and they work like new again and before I did it the charger would not charge them fully. I bought a new Fuji Finepix S8100FD only because someone here will ask what kind it was

2. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

They will all tell you that you do not need to completly discharge your batteries. However in is still a good practice to do so. I use a small flashlight and discharge a pair at a time every now and then. I missed some really good shots one evening of girls in bikinis washing motor cycles. Yes there was alcohol involved and the girls were really getting crazy. Damn neither set I had with me worked well and I had just recharged them. Bill

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

I gave up on re-chargeables. They self-discharge and are not reliable. Lithium, off ebay is the way to go.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Best I've found is the MAHA MH-C204W. Charges quickly without "frying", re-conditions, and lets you know when batteries are NFG.

AndyH

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

DB Bill, you can buy AA NiMH batteries that have a lower self discharge rate that standard Alkaline of Lithium batteries. They will retain most of their charge after one year.

Secondly, any of the rapid rechargers I have used (15minute or 30 minute charging) significantly decrease the life of the batteries (by about 80%). 4-8 hour seems to work best. You do not have to drain NiMH batteries to avoid a "memory". You only have to deep discharge them when their service life is nearing the end and you want to eek more recharges out of them. That being said, the rechargers with the "chip" in them to "condition" the batteries is worthwhile. A good charger will run you $40+.

Try the link above. Good info on digital cameras and batteries/chargers, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.