1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Centerfire pistol/revolver for bullseye comp?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ivanhoe, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Ray I have a question what type matches are you going to shoot(.22, center fire, or .45 it would make a difference as you can shoot .45 in center fire but you can't shoot center fire in .45 and of course it must be .22 in .22.

I have a S&W model 41 for .22 and I shoot a 45 for the others 1911A1 military Colt it is quite old. I have heard it said that the newer Colts are not the Colts of old.

I do prefer a single action in semi auto(.45) in revolver it doesn't matter although I would not shoot a revolver in a Gallery Match just my preference. Good Bullseye accurate handgun are not cheap.

Bob Lawless

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had a model 27 S&W that would shoot right where you held it. I would guess there are revolvers built for that venue, but that one would shoot lights out. Also had an 8 3/8 inch model 29 I could shoot 3 shot 3" groups off of sandbags at 100 yds when I had eyes.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

For 45 competition an accurized 1911 would be my choice. For 38 competition a model 19 S&W revolver with a 6 inch barrel, and a S&W model 52 automatic would be my choice. HMB

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I competed with a Colt Officers Match in .38 but it will hinder you in Rapid Fire. The Clark Longslide is made for Bullseye. I have one each in .38 and .45 and they will shoot.

I had a S&W Model 52 and it will not match the Clark. Performance improved after adding a 1 in 10 twist barrel but still not up to Clark accuracy.

I use the Walther GSP for .22 and a High Standard for backup. The S&W 41 is also a fine gun. All will shoot 50 rounds into less than 1.5 inch at 50 yards.

Yes, I tested using 50 shot groups in a Ransom Rest - 5 shot groups will only tell you if you have a poor load; not a good one. Knowing the load/ammo is capable will boost your confidence. The Remington 148 gr HBWC is a good choice. I use a cast 200gr SWC - Hensley & Gibbs in the .45.

Top guns will be expensive - but less so than a top end trap combo.

Like a trap gun, fit is important. The pad of the index finger must rest squarely on the trigger in a natural and comfortable way that allows a straight back squeeze. After market grips can assist and a Dremel tool is handy.

Don

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Speaking as an old Bullseye shooter from the 60's and 70's, Rapid Fire is the heart breaker.

The best tool for the job is the 1911 pistol in 45. If you want a good starter gun, a Kimber or Springfield Armory Natl' Match is the way to go. Scrap the 9X19, and the 38 Spl wadcutter guns are finicky and long discontinued. When you shoot 50 yard targets, the 45 will take the prize. I personally prefer the 200 gr bullet over the lighter ones.

Learn the basics, and be prepared to reload. The cheap factory ammo kicks too hard for precision Rapid Fire shooting, and the factory wadcutters are horribly expensive.

If you mean business, you will shoot OVER 25K rounds annually. Also, get up to speed on the pistols. You will need to strip, clean, and do some things to them. You WILL experiment with different recoil springs on the big gun, and ammo in the 22. A full length recoil spring guide is a big plus in the 1911. I prefer the 2 piece. Get numerous magazines. You should have 6 for a match. I prefer about ten. When the mag gets worn, your reliability goes away.

Welcome to the club.:^)

The M-41 Smith is a great 22 Target pistol. The 22/45 Ruger with bull barrel and adjustable sights is a good starter pistol, but will need a good trigger. It has a grip angle and feel similar to the 1911.

The standard Ruger has a grip angle that does not work for me.

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Three guns: S&W 41, Smith K38 or S&w 52, Gold Cup. Nuff said.

Two guns: 41, Gold Cup.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

In my bullseye days, I had Colt Gold Cup for the 45 event, a Colt 9mm conversion unit that went on the Gold Cup Frame, and a Colt 22 conversion unit for the rimfire. I did not win too many matches but my equipment looked good. Still have them. JM

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I wrote a short article that addresses some of these considerations for my gun club website. You might find it useful. Enjoy. ...Bob_K...

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ray,
    If you truly want the best, see what the top shooters are using and talk to them. Some of the advice here is questionable - Colt Gold Cup the best????

It is uncommon for a new shooter to start with the best, but if you can afford it, it will save you a lot of time.

Bullseye is very demanding if you intend to shoot in Master Class. Unlike trapshooting where the Indian is more important than the arrow, you need guns that do not hiccup, are supremely accurate, and consistent. Loads and ammo are critical - you will not break winning scores with just anything that goes boom.

You will also need to invest in a fully progressive reloader that can produce match ammo. I use both a Star (no longer produced) and Dillon 1050. if you can afford the best guns, then buy the best reloaders too. I have one set up for 38's and one for 45's as I do not like caliber change-overs and leave them set up for loads I want.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best bullseye pistols

best centerfire target pistol

centerfire pistol target shooting
revolver for bullseye competition
the best 22 revolver for bulls eye shooting
the best centerfire competition gun
top 22 bullseye target pistol
top target 45 with comp