1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best case for traveling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hebbard, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hebbard

hebbard TS Member

What's the best case for a traveling trapgun that gets checked on the airlines?

I have a nice Americase which I use when I carry my stuff in my own car, but it's a little TOO nice to put in the hands of the airline bagmashers. Plus it's too big for hauling around the airports.

And I have a terrific SKB plastic case that I use for serious duck hunting, but it's WAY too big. I just want to carry my little TM-1 so I can shoot somewhere when I oughta be working.

Maybe an Americase Aluma-tran, or an ICC? Any input?

Mike

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Warwick, Americase or Phil Hubbards cases are all great cases for air travel. Sounds like you may be more concerend about your case then your gun you are hauling with you. Get hold of Big Sky case covers and have a cover made for your case. They work great and protects your case. bigskycasecovers.com

3. hebbard

hebbard TS Member

Yeah, you may be right about that. My TM-1 is old an' beat up, but that Americase, with the cover and all monogrammed an' all, cost me a BUNDLE ;}

I didn't even consider giving Delta a shot at my more expensive guns. I'm starting to feel pretty guilty about the TM-1, too. Maybe I should just leave 'em all at home...

4. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I got a Rhino that was made for the gun. You send them tracings of the gun and you even get to pick the color of the interior. It's built like the proverbial brick house and what I like best, has the solid rod that slides down to lock the latches. I was VERY nervous about turning over my gun to Delta. But they didn't lose it and it came through fine.

Hal

5. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Having flown lot's of places from back east--I.E. Western states, Argentina and Uruguay, I've taken some very nice guns on long journeys. My favorite case for the expensive guns is one made by SKB. It holds 2 guns, is tough as nails and has wheels. It's under $200. With guns like 870's or 1100's, I've gotten good service out of the old Jon Hall takedown cases. I duct tape the locks AFTER the guns are inspected at the airport. A good gun insurance policy is not a bad idea too!

6. bradhe

bradhe TS Member

Ok, here is the test: Put your nicest gun in the case, stand in the bed of the truck (or similar height above the ground) and throw the case off onto concrete. Repeat three times. I you aren't comforable with that you need a sturdier case. Sarge has it right, the pelican (or it's various clones) wit hthe foam carefully cut out is really the best way to go. Interestingingly enough all the new TSA security is leading to more carefully handling of guns on airlines in the US, at least judging by the cumulative wear on my cases recently.

7. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Nasco, by far. I've purchased a couple of guns that came with Americases, but keeping switching to the Nasco before selling.

to bad Nasco's aren't made anymore.

8. hebbard

hebbard TS Member

So, I got a note from Mick McGinley of MarMic gun case co., and input from several others. The finalists (so far):

Americase 2001 - 37X9X3.5 (.???) - 15 lb - 381.81 (+99 for a cover)
    Americas AT3814H - 38X14X5 (.080) - 14 lb - 281.24 (+149 for a cover)
    Rhino Single - 38X9X5 (.080) - 14+ - 455
    ICC 3610A - 36X10X4.5 (.063) - 10.5+ - 189
    ICC 3610 Custom - 36X10X4.5 (.080) - ??? - 250 (estimated on phone)
    MarMic - 37X11X4 (.???) - 15 - 185

Any other entries?

Mike

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I am a fan of Pelican... I use a Browning Travel Vault - takedown version w/wheels... takes a licking, weighs a bit, but nothing tougher in my opinion.

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.