1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best car/suv for $5/gal gas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by quartering, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

was thinking of downsizing from an explorer to an escape for economy. but now i'm looking at a cooper coupe. even a fiat 500. what a riot to drive! anyway, what's the best cargo/mpg vehicle you've discovered? thanks

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Quartering,

Saturday night I traded in an Accord because of the road noise. It got good mileage although not as good as the EPA said, but we couldn't stand the road noise any longer. We got a F-150 Super Cab Lariat with the Eco Boost engine.

I know that is contrary to the "conventional thinking", but I couldn't bear the noise and the ease (not) of getting in and out of the Honda. Also it is an American built and American owned car company that did not take gov't money.

YMMV

HBT

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Also remember that in collisions size makes a big difference, a little more for fuel could save you and your passengers life if ever in a violent collision

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My wife is trading in Her E class benz for a cooper coupe, the cooper is a fun car, but if you have a bad back ,look out !!! Take a look @ the new Prius V--its supposed to have more room than the escape.

Phil Berkowitz

5. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

None.....at $5.00 a gallon they are all too expensive, however, my wife's Honda CR-V gets an honest 25 mpg overall. The sticker said 20-26 and it does better than that. More like 25-34...We don't talk about my truck....

6. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

After decades of driving nothing but a Ford F150 or F250, and more recently a Chevy HD2500 (which I kept for towing), we bought a 2WD Ford Escape (4cyl) and LOVE it! I can actually get it into a parking space, which is increasingly unusual for my truck. Averages a real life 23mpg in town, and 27 to 29 on the highway, depending on headwind/tailwind and speeds. We took a 700 mile round trip in it last week. Plenty of room for 4 flats of 12ga, 3 guns, 3 people, a Shitzu and all the luggage for a 4 day/3 night stay.

Another consideration, that is VERY attractive price wise and for it's room, is the Chevy HHR. 2011 is the last year for it and all the Rental car companies are dumping their inventories, mostly via Chevy's Certified used program which nets a great factory warranty. A few months ago over 1000 were available on AutoTrader.com in Texas alone. My son got a low mileage one cheap and it gets 23mpg+ in town, and he claims 28-30 highway (which I find hard to believe since his regular policy is to drive 11+ over the limit, LOL!).

Lastly, for raw MPG, it's hard to beat a VW bug or Jetta with the diesel engine. 45-50mpg is common for them. I borrowed one from a buddy a few years ago and found it to be FUN to drive (5-speed with the turbo diesel).

my .02,

-Tim

PS - The Mazda Tribute (a/k/a Mazda's version of the Ford Escape) held up very well, safety-wise, in a family member's head-on collision at 40mph about a year ago. Both driver and passenger had seat belt bruising, but no other injuries. It was their surviving the crash with few injuries that compelled me to consider the Escape/Tribute.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The only way the downsize makes sense is if your current vehicle needs to be replaced because it is at or near the end of its useful service life.

If you are just looking at the reduced fuel use rate the payback period on buying a new vehicle will be on the order of 12-20 years depending on trade in value.

How about keeping the Explorer and using it sparingly when you need the room and or off road capability and then buying the mini for sporting around town?

8. PowellCoho

PowellCoho Member

Matchbox.

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

There aren't any, the high MPG rigs are "banned" from being imported to America!!

The best way to get a High MPG rig, is to get the government OUT OF THE WAY!!!!

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Timber....Please post some reliable data on your claims that high MPG vehicles are banned from being imported!!

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

We like our 2011 Honda CR-V. It is 4WD so we can get up our hill in the Winter. It averages 24 mpg daily driving and 27-30 mpg on a trip. Rear seats fold forward for more cargo room.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

12. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

likes-to-shoot, I can't speak across the board, but check out Europe's offering on the Mercedes GLK...they have a turbo diesel/hybrid that gets something over 40 on diesel of course. It has gobs of torque for a 4 banger. I thought it was a neat idea, decent room, but seems you can't drink from the tail pipe so it is not coming to our shores. I am sure there are many others, but I was bummed this one was not coming over.

13. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

I had a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. I liked it, but was very ticked-off when Diesel price exceeded gas by a bit..then by a lot (just no reason for it as the cost to the oil companies is a lot less)I expect they simply know that Diesel (big rig)drivers would pass the cost on and continue to drive.

Now a Toyota Tachoma 4X4 4 dr truck 6 cyl. I don't feel a real compromize as it really feels like a truck and I can do most things now I did with the big Ram..

14. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Appears I can own a tacoma, but not spell it properly :)

15. timberfaller

Likes to Shoot,

The VW Getta that a family member has, get 56 mpg out of a four cylinder diesel.

THAT diesel motor has been banned from the US market, VW had to put in a different one to continue importing the Getta. It only get 46 mpg tops!

I should have been a little clearer, it is usually the motors that get the NO NO not for Americans!

There was also a Ford Ranger diesel (four cylinder) that was made HERE in the US that was Banned from the American market. It was for the Canadian market. Now the whole line is not going to be allowed in our Market or Canada. WHY Great fuel Economy!

Personal experience and research. I don't have time to keep and compile the paperwork, and that comes from past experience also. Six years of fighting the state over "liquid de-icer" created boxes of data and I just wound up throwing it out! Never again.

16. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

FIAT ABARTH

CHECK THIS OUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDXmJ-AbE4Y

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

In Dec. 2011 wife purchased a 2009 HHR with only 11000 miles mainly for around town, I was a little concerned because of my back. We have driven it on several all day trips, one day @ 400 miles is too far (for MY back) it does 25+ in town and 35-36 @ 60--65 on the interstates in cruise. We took it to our sons for a 10 day stay to be with grandson while daddy was out of town for work, the rear seats fold down and we had enough room for all our stuff even brought our dog & all his stuff. No problems. Only thing I wish is that the seats were a little more forgiving on a long trip. Owners manual says not to pull even a small trailer more than 1000 miles per "YEAR"????

For it's intended purpose we are very satisfied so far. Ross Puls

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I think I'll convert my ford ranger to run on propane. It's a dual fuel system that will run on gasoline or propane. Propane is cheap if you don't pay the road taxes on it.

Jim

19. timberfaller

Jim,

Go for it!!

My dad ran propane all through the 60's & 70's and early 80's in three different Dodge pickups.

Wasn't any big deal on the conversion kits, worked like a charm.

Averaged about 2 mpg less on propane versus gasoline. Same power, if you can consider a 318 had any!

20. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Cooper Countryman, Same 27/35 as the two door coupe but a lot more room inside.

stevew_2008_030393.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.