1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best buy on John Browning's 1911

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 15, 2013.

1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice 1911's but it is tough to beat an original Colt made in 1917-1918 with full Military issue markings. Still shoots awesome.

grntitan_2009_2503163.jpg

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Remington use's cast frames. Colt is forged.

3. Shuck M.

Shuck M. Member

I like 'em.

Early reviews (I think in back to back American Rifleman mags) had the Ruger slightly nicer than the Remington at about the same price.

Don't own either, yet.

The Ruger must be cast as well, no?

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Like my Springfield Range Officer.

Steve

5. grntitan

C.E.

The grips on my 1911 are the original Bakelite grips issued on the pistol. Many of them became brittle resulting in chips or cracks. Mine shown above are like new. I actually keep them locked up in the safe and use some walnut grips when shooting the pistol. I would be sick if I were the knucklehead to crack 100 year old grips. The only part missing on mine is the original magazines. I have period magazines they are just not original to the pistol.

The Bakelite grips on my 1911 are not actually Colt manufactures. They are know as Keyes fiber grips. They were a secondary manufacture of period grips and came issued on the pistol. The difference can be noted on the underside of the left grip. There, you will see the Keyes reinforcing cross and a star "*". The "K" inside the star is for Keyes. Next to it are the mold numbers which on mine is (13).
    grntitan_2009_2503166.jpg

6. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

grntitan

Beautiful 1911 you've got there but...All 1911's ( like yours ) came with wood grips and the Keyes grips were used on WWII 1911A1's...

"The Bakelite grips on my 1911 are not actually Colt manufactures. They are know as Keyes fiber grips. They were a secondary manufacture of period grips and came issued on the pistol. The difference can be noted on the underside of the left grip. There, you will see the Keyes reinforcing cross and a star "*". The "K" inside the star is for Keyes. Next to it are the mold numbers which on mine is (13)."

1911's are awesome in all colors & flavors !!!

Chris

7. grntitan

Thanks for the info Chris. I didn't know that. I'll stand corrected and just add that it had those grips when my Grandpa brought it back from WWII. I guess they got swapped somewhere along the way.

My Grandpa a Navy Ball Turret Gunner from an Avenger Torpedo Bomber actually traded a GI in Hawaii a Jap Type 99 rifle for that Colt 1911. I'd say my Grandpa(or me since I own it now) got the better half of that deal. Even sweeter, he still managed to bring back a Type 99 which I own as well. It is missing the bolt cover and monopod. It does have the flip down anti-aircraft sights.
    grntitan_2009_250382.jpg

8. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

cw638york_2008_180555.jpg

They are all fun to shoot !!! Old - new - collectable & not !

Chris

9. grntitan

Dammit boy............. spin the bottle

10. single stack

single stack Member

Cool info from Wikipedia:
    Remington Rand (1927–1955) was an early American business machines manufacturer, best known originally as a typewriter manufacturer and in a later incarnation as the manufacturer of the UNIVAC line of mainframe computer. It split off from its parent company, Remington Arms, in the early nineteenth century. Remington Rand was a diversified conglomerate making other office equipment, electric shavers, etc. The Remington Rand Building at 315 Park Avenue South in New York City is a 20-floor skyscraper completed in 1911.[1]
    From 1942 to 1945, Remington Rand was one manufacturer of the M1911A1 .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol used by the United States Armed Forces during World War II. Remington Rand produced more M1911A1 pistols than any other wartime manufacturer.[2] Remington Rand ranked 66th among United States corporations in the value of World War II military production contracts.