1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best booties for a dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by coho, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coho

coho Member

have any of you used dog booties on your hunting dog? i tried the cabelas ones on my springer but they are so slick that he slips and falls all the time and they chew the heck out of the tops of his feet. has anyone tried the big dog brand booties that have the vibram soles? i was wondering if they stay on very well. thanks.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have a bunch of them. The dogs don't like them at first but in a few minutes they get the hang of them and realise the boots are protecting them. I smeared a thick layer of black polyurethane weather sealant that comes in caulking tubes on the bottoms and part way up.Two layers. This protects the boot from wear and tear and puts some friction on the bottom. The pro way to install them is run a couple or 3 wraps of duct tape or whatever STICKY SIDE OUT around the dogs ankle. Not tight. Then install the boot and tape normally to the already installed tape. This will keep the boot on better and when it's time to remove it you just cut it away.

Check out the boots at www.uglydoghunting.com

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Or, if your a skeet shooter, you might want to consider these boots for your dog.

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

4. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

The leather "austrailian" type are the best. This comes from someone with lots more experience training dogs than me. They do work well.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

What kind of sicko looks at a dogs booty!

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the furry kind?...sort of redundant though ..don't you think?

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have always heard that the rubber lewis type boots were the best. You can make your own cheap boots by wrapping a rag around your dogs feet then wrapping that with duct tape.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The best are an bike inner tube- get some blown out ones from a bike shop- free

cut to about 7-8 inches length- pull up dogs foot- fold back about 3/4 of an inch and tape it- tape top edge on leg-

if you want you can cut out small openings for the nails

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Also note that a good care for a dogs pad is wound care or purple cote, this stuff is great for any cut or abrasion and will stay on.

thanks
    lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.