1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best bet on reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by volksbugusa, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volksbugusa

volksbugusa TS Member

need a little help on purchasing a new 12 gauge press
    best unit to buy

hornday 366----brand new 500.00 shipped
    or
    rcbs grand---brand new for 600.00 shipped

is the 366 awkward useing the resize station

not to much information on the grand...
    thanks

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Get a Dillon SL900. It will be the last one you'll every buy. Dave T.

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Save your money and get a MEC 9000GN. They cost less and work very good. Or get a PW800+ then you are on the top of the reloading Field.

4. volksbugusa

volksbugusa TS Member

i like the dillion but i am not one to pre sort hulls. everything i read about the dillon is hulls must be all the same manufacture.

i do like the 800+ do they every have holiday specials?

Matt

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Matt- Before you buy any reloader, I suggest that you first learn to sort the hulls. The same wad will not work well in different brands of hulls. Adjustments to the reloader are sometimes required when a different brand of hull is used.

Pat Ireland

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Sorting hulls is part of the process. Learning to use you new progressive reloader regardless of the manufacturer, is also a learning process.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Go with a Spolar.

Tony

8. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Without sounding like I'm trying to tell you what to do....
    You oughta be examining and sorting your hulls after every use REGARDLESS of what loader you have. That takes the "gotta sort" thing off the table.
    MEC has been my choice in 4 gauges, inc. 12....for 30 yrs, and I've never been sorry or felt like I needed more.
    I've been using the same MEC Grabber since 1980. If I ever have to replace it...I'll go on Ebay and try to find another just like it.

9. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Have had my grand running for a couple weeks and after 2000 rounds am really impressed.30 years ago I chose a grabber over a 366 that I had used, Not sure why now. Take some time to study the reloader before you start and startup will go much smoother. Ken

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I have used a 366 for years.

It might be a tough finicky when working on getting your shells "just right" but one you have it down they are a machine that can pump out hundreds of perfect reloads per hour. I believe this is true with any progressive.

I used to resize all my hulls, but now my son and I both shot break action guns, I no longer resize and have no issues. I never found it awkward.

Hornaday customer service is outstanding, it will last forever (mine is a 1972.)

Always sort hulls and load in batches. They do not load the same. Or cull out the less desirable hulls as you go. I've settled on STS/Nitros and don't regret it.

SW

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My choice is the 366 as I`ve been very happy with my used one for the last 25 years . I have a mec 650 for 20 ga and I would rather be using another 366 . Too much money for the Spolar and Dillon and the 366 is built like a work horse for the money .

12. superump

superump TS Member

I have been using MEC for over 35 years and never once upset with any of them. I have used the 9000G for years and aLOT of shells run through it. My friend just bought the 9000E automate (electric operator) and that will be my next reloader and he bought the whole setup ready to reload for $895.00 from Gamiels plus shipping and no tax!

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Obviously, from the above responses you can see that the 366 is a workhorse and will last virtually forever. It is easy to use and you can tuirn out hundreds of shell per hour (500 or considerably more) once you get proficient. I would recopmment that you always keep a new wad guide on hand because the fingers do break (after many thousands of reloads) and a broken finger will stop you in your tracks. Also, avoid the hydraulic return. It only slows you down. Large shot and powder reservoirs are a big help in increasing your speed.

Resizing with the 366 is no hassle at all. It just requires and extra stroke. I shoot a Kolar and have found that I need to resize the steel headed hulls like Gun Clubs after the second reload or they will notbn eject. With brass headeds I never resized for my Kolar, Browning, Rem. 3200 or my fields guns.

You can probably buy a used 366 for under $300. Best deal in town - anybody's town!

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a Solar. If I can find a buyer for my little used Pw2000 I am going in that direction

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

MEC 9000 G, will last as long as you'll need it to. IF... you need parts they are readily availiable and doesn't break the bank.

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Mec 9000g is a great loader to learn off of. If your past the learning stage then go for the GOLD and go for the SPOLAR.

17. Ultra Man

Ultra Man Member

I was ready to leave Mec behind till I tried the automate. Loved it, now I have 2 never looked back. All mentioned on this thread are good choices but for me the features for the money with the Mec made the choice easy for me.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

The best is a Spolar.

I loaded 2500 shells yesterday and had to cut one open. Yep, one reject out of 2500 shells.

I have a PW800+ (with electric drive) and have owned the MEC, Dillon SL900 and PW 800C.

If cost is an issue I would go with the PW800+ but if you want the best the Spolar is it.

Also, consider if you will ever want load other gauges.

Lastly, every machine sold will make a decent shell. I have found the PW800+ makes the best crimp but it is more likely to buckle hulls on AA's. It can be adjusted out but it is more sensitive.

There is a lot of emotion on the subject. Some from people who have never used "better" machines.

You cannot make a "bad" choice. Determine your needs and preferences.

Just because I prefer blonds does not preclude a brunette from being a desirable companion.

Don Verna

19. Franktri

Franktri Member

I have been using a MEC 652 for years with little trouble.. I recently looked into the Spolar and the PW and, for the money, do not think it is worth it as, even though they are superior machines, do not warrant the extra money. The better machines are not without problems, which, from time to time, need adjustments. Maybe, when my MEC has seen its last days I may consider others but, for now, I'm sticking to my MEC!!

20. amerrycan

amerrycan TS Member

Sorting hulls is just a required to reload and be safe.

I swear by the Dillon SL900. I sold/selling 366 that the Dillon replaced. There are lots of other post on here about reloaders. I think it comes down to what you are doing with it and what you want. This is like asking a group of farmers what they like better John deer or Case or Ford or Chevy.

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.