1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Barrel Wall Thickness Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esetter, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esetter

esetter Active Member

What is the best and easiest to use, gauge to measure barrel wall thickness on shotguns?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'Best' and 'Easiest to use' may be in conflict ...

I am very happy with the Manson, which I got from Midway? Brownells? 100yrs ago.

It is very good for quick-and-dirty, and better for 20bore and larger.

For getting true concentricity, and a deep(er) throat (and for 28 & 410) you need a stand gauge with mandrels. I know Galazan has them and I'm sure other places as well.

Bob

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

We used something similar to these while I was at Kolar Arms.....

http://www.abqindustrial.net/store/wall-thickness-gauges-c-2.html?gclid=CKfjiq-ViqsCFYdrKgodq3VhwQ

4. esetter

esetter Active Member

Those are really neat but I didn't want to spend $850 and up on one if I can find one a little more reasonable. Those certainly look easy to use though.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

They work really slick. You needed to dab a little juice to the prode and you could easily read a bbl from muzzle to breech in less than a minute.

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Manson gauge, a hundred bucks.

7. esetter

esetter Active Member

Ordered the Manson set from Brownells and we'll see if it works.

8. esetter

esetter Active Member

received the Manson set from Brownells and I have to say I'm not happy with it. I can get an accurate measurement a few inches into the barrel but then it is impossible for me to not put side pressure on the barrels giving me an inaccurate reading. I don't know if they will take it back but I'm going to try to send it back to them. I'll spend the big bucks and get something that I can actually use.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Gerry, you can improve accuracy, repeatability and reliability with a spirit level atop the Manson and chucking the barrel perfectly vertical in a vice, but you're right, it can get a little wobblier than one would prefer.

The mandrels-on-a-stand jobbies are better, but those electronic jobbies are just awesome looking and are prolly more worth $1000 that the stand jobbies are worth $500.

Bob

10. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

why the need to ckeck wall thickness to 3 inches deep. A starrett,mitytoyo,or brown& sharp ball mic which can be bought on Ebay would tell you all you need to know. If that doesn't work please send it to me, I will gladly put it on the Sheffield CMM measureing machine at work. Still think 3 inches is overkill. Keith

11. esetter

esetter Active Member

Not when dealing with older guns that can get a dent in the barrel that is raised and then filed smooth. You can get thin spots and that is where they will blow.

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

esetter, are you using the vertical method, hanging the barrels? I have been taught a much better method, using the gauge horizontally. There is no way to use a wall thickness gauge accurately unless you are willing to support the barrels. The vertical method is admittedly not the way to do it. I will tell you how to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shotgun barrel wall thickness guage for sale
barrel thickness gauge
barrel thickness shotgun thread
best shotgun barrel wall gauge
midway barrel thickness gauge
shotgun barrel thickness gauge

shotgun wall thickness gauge

using a shotgun wall thickness guage