1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best barrel porting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kerz, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerz

Kerz Member

Recommendation for O/U barrel porting? Thinking about porting a 3200.
    Vic

2. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

In my opinion there isn't a best one. There just a noise maker to aggravate the shooters next to you.

Dave

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I like Rhino but they are dirty!
    Joe

4. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Dont waste your money. Statistics say only between 3% to 5% reduction in recoil if that. Hard to clean etc..etc..etc..
    Chris

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Vic, done incorrectly porting does little, Pro port pigeon porting DOES work! the vast majority of very accomplished trap shooters pay to have this service as it really does the job, in very acute testing, expect a 3 inch decrease in impact as the gun now comes back instead of up, no side blasts et. incinerate em!

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Vic, I'd recommend that you do not get your barrels ported at all. I'd only buy a barrel that was factory ported. Just not enough pro's to offset the con's in your case. If you elect to have the work done anyway I'd go with the pro-porting. If your 3200 barrels are chrome lined I would stay away from porting for sure. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

7. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

get a hold of magna port... pro port and magna port

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Call Kerry Allor, he's the one who does most of the top shooters porting.
    Open 5 days a week, 1/2 day Saturday, closed Sunday 810/326-3943

Surfer

9. releasebob

releasebob Member

Watch out here come the porting Police ;op BOB

10. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

The most expensive job you can find...porting really helps the shooting economy, so do your part!

11. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Personally, porting does help with muzzle jump. And if you have a matte finish barrel, no one can see the crap on the barrel from it. Ya its expensive but it makes follow up shots that much quicker. My 2 cents

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Vic, send it back to the Remington Custom Shop and ask them to port your barrels. Look up threads on here and you will see that porting weakens the barrels and several shooters have had their barrels fail around the ports - cracking or worse. Bet Remington sends it back. 3200s are neat old guns; doubt you will do yourself any favors by monkeying around with porting the barrels.

Also, your thread says "best barrel porting"...short answer is there really isn't any. Save yourself some bucks, get an electric drill and put as many holes in your barrels as you like and you will have the same results and "improvements". Regards, Ed

13. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Pro Port, hands down - don't have to clean the ports and yes, it does help on muzzle jump. They have done 6 for me and have another one there now.

14. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

To Port, or not to Port. Well, I may as well chime in with my two cents. I shot three gun matches for about 11 years--Bowling pins, steel, etc. and every time I made an improvement, my times got just a hair faster. When I finally ported my own barrel on a milling machine, I noticed the biggest difference in speed of all improvements. I later went to AnglePort for my porting . They did ( and still do) a great job and I have no regrets. With backboring, releiveing the forcing cone and porting the barrel I picked up enough time and speed to be one of the fastest shotgunners at the time. As a Master class IPSC shooter, speed has always been an issue for me. I gained speed because the barrel stayed down more. I didn't really notice a difference in recoil because I was shooting heavy loads. Would I port a collectable shotgun? Probably not, unless it was my main shooter. To port or not port ,in my opinion depends on the application and only you can make that determination. I shoot Skeet, trap and wobble trap now and all my guns are ported, etc. Good luck and Break'em All. Bill

15. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

Magna Port did a great job on mine.
    Ron

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Having had my guns both ways I personally prefer non ported barrels. If you insist on doing it I would recommend doing it only on the barrell you shoot first. Shoot someone else's ported gun and then yours and then decide.

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Hey! Vic asked who does the best port jobs, not if he should port his gun. It seems he's already made a decision to port his barrels. Most all my guns are ported, why, because in (my mind) it works, just like in (your mind) it doesn't.

I didn't give Vic an opinion if porting worked or not, because that wasn't his question, I answered him with who I thought would do a good job. Opinions are just that opinions.

I'm certain all you guy's shoot Mossberg 500's, 870's and model 37 break opens, after all a shotgun just a piece of pipe and a hunk of wood; why waste your money on anything more expensive much less porting, it's just marketing isn't it....

Surfer

18. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I bought a used Guerini sporting gun that had been angleported, I'm not a fan of porting nor would I have it done to a gun but the deal was too good to turn down. I must say when I am shooting simo's on the clays course there is very little muzzle jump and the gun is easy to get on the second bird. The actual porting job appears to be very well done.

JohnR

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The absolute best porting is no porting at all ... I have not purchased guns I would of otherwise bought because they were ported ... I have shot guns that were ported and cannot see any difference in them other than they seem to be louder when they go off ... My Father had a 29 1/2 inch Perazzi TM-1 because of porting, it started out a 34 inch barrel until the first 4 inches of the barrel blew off one night while shooting ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrell porting trap

best barrel porting

do most skeet and trap guns have ported barrels

pro port gun barrel

pro porting shotgun