1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best barrel length for skeet?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Bopper, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I know this is a trap site, but I'm burning both ends of the candle. What is the preferred barrel length for shooting skeet? Can a guy shoot both and do reasonably well? I don't mean tournament level. Just club shoots etc. Many thanks for your time. Bob Ramsden - Dallas, TX

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

They go hand in hand ... a good trap shooter can and will most likely be a good skeet shooter.

28" is the most common barrel length but I have seen 26", 30" and 32" used and done very well with also. Basiclly whichever you feel the most comfortable with is the best for you.

BTW ... dont let a bunch of them around these parts get on ya about shooting skeet cause its all about shoot what you enjoy and enjoy what you shoot.

3. flskeeter

flskeeter TS Member

If you are a new shooter, 28 or 30 inch barrels will be fine. You won't be able to tell the difference.

Todd Bender, the Skeet God, shoots Trap. I plan to take up Trap this summer after many years of Skeet. See how I like it.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Oh yeah ... I, along with others forgot to ask what kind of gun are you shooting now? Chances are it might be just fine.

BTW ... if you want to make it more fun do it from the low gun.

5. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Outstanding! I just ordered an XS Skeet in 12 gauge with 30" barrels. Plan to add a set of Kolar tubes later if I catch the Skeet bug. The Trap bug already has a very firm hold! LOL!! Many thanks for your helpful comments!
    Bob

6. Utahx5

Utahx5 TS Member

Bob, everyone has a belly button. Go to a club and shoot. Then grab another gun and shoot some more. Rinse and repeat...lol. No one will be able to help you. This type of decision is best made after conducting your own "in the field" training. What you will find (or should find)is the weight will make this gun differ from your field gun. You'll see 870s, 1100s, 391s, and O/U from many makers. They will, on average, weight a pound or two heavier then your field gun and typically be stocked higher with a pronounced (ie rounded) comb. But if your just messing around at the club your field gun will be fine.

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I shoot skeet with two guns, for my 12GA I use a Sporting A390 with a 28in barrel which really makes this gun a 30in sight plane. For the 20, 28, .410 I am using a Browning Special Sporting Clays. I have shot trap with my A390 and shoot in the low 90's about the same as my 682x trap. Again like other posts on this thread a shooter who is good at TRAP will often be good at Skeet using the exact same gun.

Ronbo

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I started skeet with 28" barrels - first a Browning then a Beretta 682. I convinced myself that since "everyone" was going to 30 and even 32" barrels, I needed to do the same. Some $6,000 later, I am not convinced that this was the best move...no quantum leap in performance. Try several and find the one you like best. Ed

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I think I've tried them all but keep going back to the 28". Maybe if I was a real skeet shooter I could give better advice!!

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

my Win 101 Skeet gun is 26"....would probably handle better at 28"...

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

95 percent of the shooters would shoot a 28 inch better than a longer O/U

If you dont shoot every day or at least 4-5 times a week- get a 28 inch

Your size or build doesnt matter- its how much you shoot

regards

Gene

12. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Well, I'll stir the pot a little. I shoot a 34" K-80 for everything. The barrel weights 1.65kg, and it swings great. I actually shot skeet with 2 nice guys last Sunday and they could not believe anyone would shoot skeet with a 34" O/U, at lease until one of them gave it a try. His comments were very positive as he crushed the targets. I guess it's like anything else, it's what feels best to you and what you get use to. I shoot the same gun for skeet, trap and sporting, along with boxed birds. My comments for tonight - take care and take a kid shooting,
    William

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm old school. I think a 26" barrel with a skeet choke is what you need. Skeet shots are 22 yards or less. I also like a sub-gauge gun. POI for each sport are different. I have one gun designed and fitted to match each of them. Dave T.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Without knowing your build it is hard to help. I would recomend a 28 inch barrel for someone that is a small to medium build that is about the same in strenth. For someone that is a medium to large build that is strong to very strongly build I would recomend a 30 to 32 inch barrel. But your style of shooting has to be added in, for you to come to what will work for you. Try some different guns out on the range. As most of us have done most people will lone you there gun for a round or two to see if you like them and different lenths of barrels as well. Best of Luck. Let us know how you do. Break-em all. Jeff

15. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

I am 5' 8" and a little over weight, I do not smoke and I shoot a 32 for Trap Doubles and all Skeet. I shoot a 34" for other trap events.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care,

Jimi

16. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

I am 5' 8" and a little over weight, I do not smoke and I shoot a 32 for Trap Doubles and all Skeet. I shoot a 34" for other trap events.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel length for trap shooting

best barrel length for clay shooting

best barrel length for skeet

best skeet barrel length

length of barrel in shotguns for skeet and trap
optimum barrel length for trap and skeet