1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Bargain you've ever got on a gun!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Best Bargain you

Thought this might be fun and may make some of your fellow shooters very jealous, what is the best "steal" you have ever gotten on a gun purchase?

Mine will come later today when I buy a never fired remington 700p sniper rifle. It is KG coated, threaded for a suppressor, comes with harris bipod and adjustable comb. Has a fixed 16x leupold Mark IV mildot scope with badger ordinance rings and mount. Also 1500 rounds of Black Hills Match ammo ($2000 just in ammo). He has roughly $6000 invested, im buying it for $2500 out the door.

So lets hear it, what is the best "bargain" you have ever got on a firearms purchase?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just picked up (about a month ago) an 11-87 Premier Trap, Wilkinson barrel work, Simmons rib, Timney pull, Timney release, G-Squared Stock with adjustable comb and pad.

I really don't have a use for it, but the fellow needed the money....may sell it at some point???

Curt

3. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

A buddy of mine bought one of the most beautiful K80 combos I have ever seen. It has upgraded wood and engraving that I have never seen on another K80. It also cam in one of the most beautiful Krieghoff cases I have ever seen. He said he bought it off a guy that needed money bad. He will not tell me exactly how much he paid but said he "doesen't have $5000 in it"!!!

PS: He had the release trigger converted back to pull, the gunsmith ran the serial number, it was not stolen.

4. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Was at a neighbor's yard sale-there was a model 29 S&W priced at $50. I offered him 40 and he took it. It has the original box and papers.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Probably MX8 O/U, two sets of triggers in a browning hard case, $1500. It was at a farm auction and the boxed Winchester rifles were running the lads low I guess.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I inherited a M-21. It is a 16ga TRAP bored full and IM. Also inherited an IDEAL Grade L.C. Smith it is bored SK #1 and SK #2. Both are beautiful guns and NEVER for sale.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had two real good buys. First I was looking for a K-80 un single barrel to make a combo up from my over and under. Icalled a local gun sotore and after a few minutes I found out they had an unsingle(whole gun)on consignment. A woman was selling it hardly used she was going through a divorce. Bottom line I got the K-80 with the unsingle and an Americase for $2800.
    Second I went to an estate auction and picked up a Krieghoff model 32 San Remo for $850 auction price. Bulge.

Sharpshot thanked this.
  8. Damifino

Damifino Member

Years ago I had a Weatherby Olympian 28" fixed Skeet/Skeet that I used as a field gun. The skeet bore was perfect for rabbits and it never seemed to have any trouble reaching out to a longer range Pheasant or Partridge. I dragged it through the brush for years and treated it like a field gun, but it was a great shooter.

I traded it even-up for a like-new Beretta Teknys. I walked out of the shop feeling like I'd just robbed a bank. The book value on the Beretta was over twice the value of the beat-up Weatherby. Except.... I could never get the Teknys to fit me right. It didn't work as a field gun and I had a gun I liked better for trap. It was totaly useless to me. Traded it awhile later for a deer rifle. I still miss having my "Oly".

Sometimes the best deals aren't.

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A 97 Win. was probably one that comes to mind.

A friend of mine spotted it at an antique shop. The shop was well noted for having outrageous prices on everything.

He said it looked unfired and being a Sharps rifle collector for many years I felt he knew condition.

He bought it for me for 125. which at the time was under the money for a good one.

It was indeed unfired and a 30" Mod. which I was told was a little unusual as most were full.

It was a late one(l957) and cleaned up like new.

Should have kept it.

Regards....Gerald

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I bought a pristine pre-1964 Winchester .243 with heavy barrel and 3X9 Leupold for $125. I ran it before the purchase. It was clean. But honestly, the best buy I ever made was on a 20 guage Mossberg bolt action with Poly choke when I was a young man. I bought the gun for $5.00 and it fed my young family many, many times in the lean years.

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Best bargain was the auto shotgun I found in the middle of the road. My guess is it fell off some hunters truck. Best new gun bargain, my Mossberg 930 with walnut stock for 400. That gun has kept working while watching many other far more expensive guns break down around it.

12. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Got a model 23 win pigeon grade for $600. Was buying a coke at the machine when he hung the for sale sign on the board. Asked to see the gun, and by the time he had it out there was a line. Bought it on the spot!

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

A cherry model 12 20 gauge modified barrel at a yard sale. I wanted the old break open .410 he had so I offered him $75. He asked me what the others were worth. A nice old 1890 Winchester 22 short and the Winchester model 12 20. I said they were both out of my price range and that some collectors would likely want them. He said make me an offer so I offered him $300 for the two of them all the while telling him they were worth more. He said take them. I later sold the model 12 to Scheels in Iowa City for $800 and traded the 1890 in on a new BT-100. My nephew borrowed the .410 for a raccoon problem when he lived out in the country and has never returned it.

14. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

An 870 I bought for my son 20 years ago seeing the fun he's had with it. If I paid a million I still got a deal!!

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Colt BOA-paid $650 and sold it for $2,850. I later found the original box and sold it for $100!!

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Was at a skeet shoot a number of years ago. I guy has an almost new Perazzi MX3C. Something happened and the stock cracked all the way through the grip area. I offered him $1900 and he took it. Just as we completed the transaction he said "also here is the 34" single barrel that goes with it" Thought he was kidding but he was not.... Perazzi replaced the stock for free and I shot the gun for a couple of years. Sold it to a pigeon shooter for $2700.

17. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I didn't get the bargain but I got to see the transaction,a gentleman on a squad I was on was shooting a very nice Browning superposed trap,he had just finished shooting a 59 in singles with it.When he walked off the line a young kid on our squad maybe 15 shooting an 870 express commented on how pretty it was,the gent handed it to him and asked him if he wanted to trade the kid said yes and he picked up the 870 and left.When we shot singles the next morning the gent was not on our squad and the kid was shooting the Browning,some guys have all the Luck.Jerry

18. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Bought an 1100 with beautiful wood with a trap and skeet barrel in a hard case for $300! Almost unshot, and he needed the money.

19. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

My dad bought me my first .22 a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 at K-Mart for $39.00!
    Best money he ever spent....

20. old tex

old tex TS Member

$129 for new mod 70 in 1953.

$226 for Belg. superposed new in 1950 - it was dealer cost and I worked all summer to pay for it.

$25 for Mod. 73 saddle ring carbine in mint condition about the same time in 1953.

Probably can think of a bunch of others but it hurts too much!

unc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is the best bargain that you have ever got