1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best bargain shell

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trevorh, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

I am makeing another order for bargain shells and don't lmow whether i should get top guns, estates, or gun clubs they are all basically the same price and and i can get whatever type i want what would you guys recomend.

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I would go with either the top guns or the estates. They are pretty much the same shell, only the powder and the hull are different. I like the hull on the top guns better, but other than that they are both great shells.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

STS or AA's

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

My is rather sensitive and I get fewer no fires from Estates. I have opened a few boxes of Estates and found less than 25 shells in the box. As far as breaking targets, I believe you would not find any difference in the brands you mentioned.

Pat Ireland

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

If you can get RIO's, get them. They are my favorite factory shell, I would take them over even STS's and AA's.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use Estates. If you can get coupons for Sportsmen's Warehouse the cost is less than 3.50.

Reload once and toss. That said, our club just got Rio shells, and people like them. I don't know the cost, club sells for 5 bucks. Not good to reload.

I prefer my Nitro duplicates (or new ones) over anything else. The lead prices have me buying Estates, however.

HM

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Estates are getting hard to find at a reasonable price. We have gone to NobelSport, which I have always liked-especially the LR-1 (Low Recoil) which is one ounce at 1200 FPS. Really a soft shooting shell. I also like Rio's and I just tried a flat of Diana's which-despite some bad press-worked just fine.

It's going to be tough staying one strep ahead of the price increases.

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Of the "inexpensive shells", and I don't generally consider STS and AA inexpensive at $6 a box, do any work in Ljutics and other guns which have tight chambers and spring-only activated extractors? Seems like some inexpensive shells perform very well, except the base expands upon ignition to the extent that they stick and will not easily eject.

Thanks.

Rob M.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

When you catch STS or AA's on sale at Dicks for $55 a flat along with finding one of those $10 or $20 off coupons everyone talks about that could make a 4 flat purchase of them to be $52.50 or $50 a flat and that is not all that much more than cheap shells are starting to be priced at. Now if you know of somebody who will purchase the empty hulls from you at .04 a piece that can also bring those prices down to $41.50 or $40 a flat and at that price I would buy STS or AA's from Dicks everytime.

Even without the coupon and just the sale price that makes STS or AA's affordable at $45 a flat. Just think if you could get .05 a hull by including the original box and flat for the reloader to use as well ... dang that drops the price down to $37.50 to $40 with coupons and $42.50 without coupons.

What would you rather have ... knockoff cheapies at around $40 a flat or STS/AA's for that or only $2.50 more a flat?

10. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

yeah the problem is that i cant anybody to buy sts at $.03 not even to mention .04 so $15 a case really is a big deal

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

I had a local member of a club tell me he cant find them for less than .07 a piece. Ask around ... sometimes you might not have any idea at all who might be interested in them ... unless you ask.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Eddie, those are great photos. Is that 345 pellet total in the shell based on actually counting the pellets?

Neil

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why would I give that information out? Seriously why would I give that information out? Shells cost enough money already and if I can score $17.50 return to my per $55 flat do you think I would be crazy enough to let that source of money go out to anyone?

Sorry but no ... find your own purchaser for your own shells sir. ;-)))

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Kemen (or Rio) There are better shells and cheaper shells but no better cheaper shells. We have bought 1000+ flats at our club with no problems.

TB

15. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

if you reload, I believe the gun clubs are the better choice. If you can find them the same price as estates or top guns. I dont know anyone who bothers reloading the estates or top guns and i know I can reload gun clubs up to 6-8 times before the crimps start to crack.

if you're not reloading...rio has a paper hull out that people seem to like. I've yet to try them tho.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Has anyone noticed that Kemen, RIO, and similar shells have an issue with the base wad migrating upward in the hull? I just found a half dozen more Kemen hulls that have a displaced base wad, after only looking at about twenty. I certainly won't shoot any more of them, even if they were free! I like my gun and other appendages way too much. All of the guys talking about the new Winchester AA hulls should be making some noise about this, but I don't hear much. I guess some think it does not matter unless you are going to reload them. I also have experienced some issues with low velocities and off sounding loads in temps under 40 degrees. I'd much rather shoot the Wally World specials than take a chance on the RIO/Kemen Cheddite types.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Quack Shot:

I think the "All of the guys talking about the new Winchester AA hulls" have spoken. At any shoot anymore you see very few people shooting Winchester ammo.

MR

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

They all go bang and they all go bang loud and they all go bang loud and throw little pellets of lead down range to smash against flying discs of painted clay and pitch and they all can break those flying discs so just other than that what does it all really matter except for the price of them?

19. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Your right lumper except you forgot one important issue and that is CONFIDENCE.

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Confidence? When you have to feel confident in your shells you must also feel confident that your shoes are the right shoes for the day your shooting and that you have your socks on the right feet and that you were sure you put your left leg in your pants first and that ...

Well to me confidence is knowing that I know what to do when I shoot and that if I miss a target I have missed it because of what I have done wrong, not because of my shoes or my socks or that my lucky rabbits foot hopped off on the rabbit because I lacked the confidence in my shell when I shot at the rabbit.

If a person must purchase confidence in there shells than why would they be reading a thread about bargain shells?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.