1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best backyard trap for $1,500?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sam (ATA Noobie), May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Howdy!

I've got a neighbor looking to put in a trap range on his farm. We will be pouring a concrete trap house, walkways, etc.

He's asked me to help him find a trap. Budget is approx. $1,000-$1,500. He would prefer something that could eventually be hooked up to a voice release.

I can shoot the things, but I really have nowhere to go on the trap. Probably looking at being used 5-10 rounds per week. Do not mind reloading after every round.

Any suggestions on where to start? Located in Central OH.

Thanks all.

Sam

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm not sure your going to find anything in that price range but maybe a worn out winchester...

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Like mentioned you should be able to find a Winchester for $1,000-$1,500.

4. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Is there a model # or something I should be looking for?

Also a good place to look for them? e-bay, etc? Just trying to help a neighbor out who's been real good to me.

5. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

NEW INFO:

Found out he has an old Western single-load. Found Western Retro, but neighbor says trap is pretty rusty and unassembled. Not sure it'll be worth cleaning up and retro-fitting.

What is the reputation on the Atlas traps?

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sam, These two have been around for some time. Tyler Trap Repair Center, located in Dryden, MI. (810) 796-2625. This guy has a Winchester,Beomat,Superstar,Laporte and Lincoln machines. He buys and sells and has Recondition traps for sale. Next is R&R Trap Sales and Service Inc. They sell Reconditioned Beomats and Leporte machines. wwwrrtraps.com. Hope one of these two can help you out. Break-em all. Jeff

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Are the Champion throwers such as this one from Gamaliel not worth the money? I really don't have any idea. I know its not a permanent mount but if it was just a for fun thing thought it might work. Click above.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've got an Atlas that has worked fantastic for about 5 yrs, and I do believe you can get a voice release for them

9. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Buy an AT 250 from Atlas and live happily ever after. Great machine at a great price. They do have some voice releases. I've got two of these machines that have both thrown 35,000 targets plus and are still going strong. For a personnal machine you can't go wrong. - Huntinandhotrods

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Check out Promatic

11. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Ray, PM sent.

I like the 250 idea, but $1,300 for the machine and another $400 for the oscilator may be a stretch for him. If I can't find anything, I might just buy the oscilator for him.

Thanks again all.

12. traploader

traploader Member

you have mail.

13. Catpower

Sam, I have the oscillator on mine, but if I was to do it again, I would have built my own, it's just a windshield wiper motor with an arm, and some linkage it wouldn't be that hard to build

14. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Catpower - You are right! I did build both of the oscillators for mine and I used windshield wiper motors. I used a short office chair with metal legs for the swivel base. Linkage is just a couple of himes joints. Works great. Huntinandhotrods

15. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I looked at the schematic for the Atlas brand oscilator and too was confused how they came up with $400 for some sheet metal and a small motor.

Neighbor has a fully outfitted shop, so I'm sure we could make something. ANybody have some rough plans/materials list they could share? If we could make that I'd just snap up the 250 and be done I suppose.

16. EEB

EEB Member

You guys who built a simple oscillator for the AT250: did you also build a wobble attachment for the vertical movement? I would be very interested in plans for that. The Western traps look great (and bullet-proof), but a little out of my price range.

Ed

17. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Mine only oscillates, no wobble. Although the same type of set up could be used to make it a wobble too if you turn it side ways. If you are going to use a windshield motor just go to the junk yard and get one out of a mini van that is for the back window. They turn slower and are easier to get out of the car. I will try and post pictures of mine tomorrow. If you are the slightest bit handy you can build one pretty easy.

18. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Not that we will be throwing ATA events, but it would be nice to practice on legal targets. How close can you get to the correct oscilation range with the DIY?

Just a matter of getting the correct linkage length I suupose?

19. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Adjusting the angle the machine oscillates is easy. The longer the arm on the motor that the linkage bolts to, the more angle the trap oscillates. I got a longer arm on my motor with two diffeent holes in it so by moving one bolt it will throw targets at a 44 degree angle or a 60 degree angle. I believe (not positive) that ATA targets can't be over 44 degrees. We use the 60 degrees for annie oakleys to make it a little more interesting. Huntinandhotros

20. Catpower

Sam, I'll measure it and take some pics, I'll Pm you, but as usual, I can't do it for a couple of days, got kinda busy, but I would have built one myself when I ordered the first one, but as usual I was too busy

Ain't ya supposed to be able to slow down once you retire????????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.