1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best auto for trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike G, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G

Mike G Member

What is the best auto out there for trapshooting? I am not asking for the best gun for the money - what is the top dog auto?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

That's easy....a 391. It can even handle doubles reliably, unlike an 1100.

Tron.

3. Mike G

Mike G Member

Tron - Awesome

4. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

That thing kick so hard it has split the stock and ya had to tape it together? I guess the millions of doubles shot with 1100's over the years just don't count? What a crock troll.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Troll?? Sniff, sniff....that hurt. Have you seen the latest prices or O rings?? Ya can thank Bill Clinton for that.

Tron.

6. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"Best auto for trap?"

For me? My 1100 Classic Trap.

Ergonomocs suit me like it was made for me.

Purchased, new in Dec. 2005, functions and shoots great.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I favor 1100's for balance and feel, but Tron looks like he has a keeper.

The best shooting auto I ever had was a Franchi 530. If they would stay together I would still shoot them. That was one fine shooting auto.

HM

8. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Beretta 391 is the best auto for trap in my opinion.

1100 Remington would be next.

Piddie - you couldn't teach Leo anything about trap. You're still a moron.

hubcap

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

The best auto loader for trap is a broken one that cannot eject.

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

tron i have an ncp 391 also what a great gun. i'm still pissed about the adams apple thing though so don't think this gets you off the hook. they are sweet shooters(391Elite)but pricey.

11. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

by the way tron my wood is better than yours. hehehe

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Metroman, quote: "Why would you want to shoot an auto for trap? Buy a real trap gun and be done with it. The only reason to buy an auto is to be able to shoot three shells. If you want a gun for hunting buy a hunting gun. If you want a gun for trap buy a trap gun. If you need less recoil then put a RAD or Gracoil on your trap gun. Guns are not like tube socks one does not fit all. From the looks of it the money spent on extras to try to make a trap gun of a 391 you could of bought a good used trap gun for the same price. Although that does look like a good gun for skeet or sporting clays."<br>
    <br>
    Ah, the ignorant, unwashed masses.... or is it just more sad, pathetic, but all too common trapshooter prejudice against autos?<br>
    <br>
    There are valid reasons for using an auto.<br>
    <br>
    An auto will have less recoil than any manually operated shotgun anywhere near its weight. Some people prefer a lighter shotgun.<br>
    <br>
    With the exception of recoil reduction devices like a Soft Touch, it's difficult to get the recoil down to the level of an auto without adding weight.<br>
    <br>
    Some people use one kind fo shotgun for all sports, including hunting, and having the same feel and POI makes it easier.<br>
    <br>
    As for an auto not being a "real" trap gun, all you have to do to see that this is either a totally ignorant statement or bitter prejudice is to look at the number of autos used over the years for trap, especially the 1100, and especially in the 1960's and 1970's.<br>
    <br>
    The ONLY statement that has any merit is "Guns are not like tube socks one does not fit all". That's correct, but apparently you do not want to see people shooting autos, even it it suits them.

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Pukey Stagg,

Please email me. I'd like to talk with you about Berettas.

Danny

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Only one auto has a real trigger assembly-not stamped pot metal parts-the SX-1. The rest are all wannabees!!

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

I prefer a SX-1 or 391,but memories of Leo and an old 1100 keep running thru my mind.

16. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

1100. Particularly older 1100s. Not current ones.

Mine are completely reliable for doubles, unlike Tron. (lol)

17. docshank

docshank TS Member

Customized Browning Auto 5

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

18. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Seriously, those who are drinking the kool aid on the Berettas thinking they are better than Remingtons will be in for a rude awakening at some point.

Just go over to www.shotgunworld.com and look at the "I love my" boards, then click on "Beretta" - ok, there's about 90+ pages on Berettas and on the first
    page of about 15 threads what do we see about 391s...........??????

Failure to feed posts, failure to eject posts, functioning problems, rib separations; firing pins too short for reliable ignition... and oh, gotta love that nine part gas system in the 391 that includes, valves, valve shafts, seals, rings, washers, spacers, etc. That is far superior to the 1100s three piece gas system that has two rings and a rubber seal.

There is a neat "how to clean" post stickied there that has a photo of the disassembled 391 laid out - there's enough parts in the gas system to build gas systems for TWO 1100s and an M-1A!

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Beretta-overly light, lousy, hard to clean gas system and re-claimed beer cans trigger assembly. The 1100 is a far better choice on best two out of three!!

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Ncp 391 Beretta is a nice gun as it a SX-1 with a NCP Stock and rib. I have both and I like them both for diffrent reasons. if there could be only one it would have to be a SX-1. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.