1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best AR-15 Receiver?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sam Ogle, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

At the tender age of 70; I shot an AR-15 the other day. Rock River Receiver, and it had a 24" Stainless Barrel, trigger work, and an adjustable comb that let you look through the scope comfortably. What a hoot! Now, I see what you youngsters like in them. I was hitting 200 yard targets as easy as pie, and it really was fun.

Anyway, if I were to build one from the ground up, what is the best receiver to start with for a target gun?

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Sam,

Unless you have some dying reason to buld one, just go out and buy one the way you want it. It's much cheaper that way. You can get a new Bushmaster Predator for like $1100 and just add optics of your choosing.

As far as lowers go; Rock River Arms, Spikes, DPMS, Bushmaster, Stag all make pretty good ones.

ss

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You might try one of the sites dedicated to the AR - lots of info, etc.

You are looking for a 'mil-spec' receiver - unless you want a total tack driver worth several thousand dollars any of them will do (ss names most of the best).

I can relate to building one - a great deal of fun to do, and not that hard.

A good friend from England (now living here) gave a kit to his adult son for his birthday. When the daughter and son-in-law were here visiting from the UK for the birthday party both were horrified by the gift - asking "WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT THAT?"

Simple response from the brother was "because I can..."

Brownells has a great set of videos on the assembly steps (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/GunTechdetail/How-to-Build-An-AR-15-Video)

Best way to get started would be to buy a lower receiver (roughly $100 ~ 150 - this will need to go through an FFL), and then get an internal parts kit (should be under $75 - no FFL). You will still need a stock and buffer assembly for the lower.

You might continue by just buying a complete upper - ready to go (no FFL needed for this!).

Typically, once you have one you will want more - you can build an upper for that one...

Have fun, play nice with the other kids,

David

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll second the Stag. I have a right handed Stag Model 2 in 5.56mm. It has functioned flawlessly. They have alot of different models to suit your need and have been making AR parts since the Vietnam war. They actually made parts for many of the early Colt M16's.

The thing that sold me was their Lifetime Warranty.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

As long as you don't choose a polymer receiver I believe you'll be happy. Having said that, the last article, on rating receivers, had Stag rated number 1, with a bunch of other brands a close second. Mechanically they were all similar, but the finish on the the Stag was said to be the tie-breaker.

Here's a somewhat dated chart rating the whole rifles. Good luck.

stokinpls_2008_030378.jpg

6. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Get what you had in your hands.I have a Rock River w/stainless barrel and "it don't get no better than that".2 stage trigger.Great gun right out of the box.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Wow what a great chart! So basically Colt, LMT and Noveske are the best and the others just go down the scale in quality. Thanks a lot!

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Speaking of AR, do you remember the '94 Clinton Ban? I sold 6 Colt AR s in 4 different configurations as high as $3000 a piece right around that time. The most anti 2nd. amendment president in history did some good for the economy. LOL

Then I built one with Colt lower, FN mil. top, Douglas 16.25" barrel, for myself to keep. It shoots 1 MOA at 100 yard. Better then I needed on a combat carbine.

The only thing I had to get use to an AR is the buffer going right under my cheek.

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Not a Colt fan due to the large pin issue that precludes adding many small pin uppers in different calibers. For example, I have (or had) uppers in 5.56, .204, 5.7x28, 9mm, 410 shotgun and 22 lr that I rotated on 2 lowers.

JP Enterprises is my favorite if cost is not a factor.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Tactical Innovations makes some great receivers, my SIL has a rifle built on one, it's all machined from bar stock and has a built in trigger guard that I like. It also has a couple of features the others don't like this set screw that holds the plunger and spring in that will fly off others when you take the stock off.

11. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have used a lot of mfg, but I like the S&W M&P 15 the best, IMO thanks Ronnie

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

May also want to check out Bravo Company USA. I have have read some good reports on their rifles. I have also purchased quite a few AR parts from them and have been very happy with quality, pricing and ship times.

At the Southern Exposure Training Center in Lakeland, Florida, they took a Bravo Company Carbine and put 31,165 rounds thru the gun without cleaning it and only occasionally oiling it with Slip 2000 EWL along the way. The last report i read stated it has now exceded 40,000 rounds and still on it's original barrel.

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I would get a ready built gun that will give you a good accuracy guareentee.
    Watch out for the twist. At least 1/9 for the bullets to 62 grain & 1/8 for the 75 grain. Important that it will handle both .233 commercial & 5.56 military(ask the maker.) This allows a much greater choice of ammo. Wilson or JP if if you have about $2000. Rock River,Bushmaster,DPMS for $11-1200. 18-20" bbl fine up to about 350 yds,24" gives the extra velocity past 400. Get .223 caliber. Others are great but ammo choice is limited to that caliber. Then again,you can spend $500 & get a good 22LR complete gun & have a lot of cheap shooting. Great for the kids. In fact,go that way first. After you have 'learned about the gun' buy the 223. There was a long article in the American Rifleman comparing the various 22LR complete AR's. That was about 6-8 months ago.

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

RunGunIPSC, any idea on how or where to find that AR article? I've been wanting to get a 22LR AR, but can't seem to find much info.

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The top civilian at Camp Perry this year built his gun
    around a Smith & Wesson receiver.

16. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I bought a CMMG stripped lower (the teflon finish over the anodizing sold me), and installed a lower kit from Daniel Defense. Exceptional parts from DD, and every thing to spec. Using this on my tactical upper. Also have a complete Colt lower, but the issue with this is that Colt uses non-standard diameter pins, so if something breaks, etc, it is harder to get replacement parts (Hammer, trigger, disconnector, pins, etc ). Didn't like that on a tactical weapon. So the Colt lower is used for a sporting upper where the ability for a quick repair is not so important.

17. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

In all actuallity, there are only a few manufactuers of AR Lower Receivers. They just put the roll mark (logo) of whomever they are doing the run for at that time on the receiver. I have receivers from Rock River, Spikes Tactical, Stag and Smith and Wesson that I built rifles on, from Short barreled rifle projects, to HB Varmint guns and a few M4's. They all work just fine!

Oscar Ray

18. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Not that long ago, they use to say all you need to look at was ABC : Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt.

Since then, there are many companies making milspec AR15 pattern lowers.

As long as they are milspec, they are all the same dimensions but can be wildly different from a finish.

I love the Rock River Arms stuff. First rate.

My JP Rifles JP15 is as good as it gets and their triggers are phenomenal.

I have a lower from a company call Firebird Firearms out of New Mexico. For a milspec receiver, you will not find one better anywhere and they are priced very competitively.

19. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Mine is a Colt, as you can see it's the benchmark for AR's.
    There are other good ones out there, but I wanted a factory ready
    AR in 5.56 that will also shoot 223's. You should not shoot Mil Spec 5.56 in 223's

20. 682LINY

682LINY Member

last i heard S&W was haveing theres made by stag,,,s7w says return to stag for service and warrenty,, makes me think stag makes there own stuf,,, and i do like my stag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ar 15 barrel weight chart

ar 15 mil spec chart
ar 15 rating chart
ar 15 receiver forum
ar barrel weight chart
ar-15 receivers forum
buy ar-15 receiver
coolest looking ar lower receiver