Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best and safest way to handle moving with guns

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  halfmile 
#1 ·
Anyone have recommendations on the best way to move across several states and get your guns there safely ?
I am talking quite a few.
Obviously you don't want to give them to the movers. But that leaves putting them in you vehicle and risking theft.
Plus the room they take up, etc.

Has anyone had any good or bad experience doing this ? Thanks

#2 ·
I just finished moving across several states. I couldn't find anything other than case them up and pile them in. I used a moving company and they wouldn't take the firearms and after what they did with my belongings, I'm glad they didn't.

I had an alarm installed on the SUV and I booked rooms where I could park right outside the door. If you are moving all of your stuff, get several full size rectangular plastic garbage cans. Moving quilt in the bottom of the can. Cased guns on end placed upright in cans. More pads around the circumference of the guns. Place another can on top of the first one. Duct tape both cans together and you have a vault.

Good luck...

#4 ·
You don't say the distance involved (i.e., will you need to spend the night on the road??).

Presuming that is the case I suspect that if you asked here you'd find someone who would put you and your guns up for the night - allowing you to park your 'gun mobile' in their garage overnight.

Cost would be you buying them dinner...

#6 ·
I moved 1650 miles with guns. Loaded to the gills Olds Cutless. Room only for the driver. Our son did the driving,with my wife filling in for relief. We drove slower,65-70,stayed on Interstates. I drove a van/closed trailer,with 2 drugged up cats next to me in a big travel cage. We made 2 nite stops. We unloaded ALL the guns each nite into the motel room. Cats also. Bar on the door. Loaded all back up in the morning. With 2-3 people,went fast & very safe.

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips. Options to consider.
Yes I will be staying overnight in hotels 3-4 times. Not crazy on the taking in & out of the hotel room though.
The other issue is no room in the rear seat area of the truck due to a dog, so maybe rent an enclosed U haul ?

#8 ·
I moved half way across the country let Mayflower move my guns in my gun safe. Just stuffed in pillows to keep the guns secure locked the safe and the move went without a hitch. I had been told they would want o inventory the guns but as long as I was the only one who could open the safe they wee fine with it.

#9 ·
You are legally allowed to send your guns to yourself, for whatever purpose. I have sent my guns to me in care of my friend for AZ shooting. At that time an 1100 cost aroud 17 bucks via USPS.

Of course it will cost about 25 apiece or so now. Depends on whast you need for insurance, etc.

The cost of shipping might help with the Uhaul rent.

At least you have some options.

HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.