1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best alternative for Win 209 primers..and wads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I am a relatively new reloader with 100% Winchester components to begin with...and HS Hulls.

After spending a couple of months getting my loaders, my methods and my hull stash built up...I am beginning to get in the grove and be adept at tuning my loaders and formulating my own opinions about shot size and powder loads that do or do not make a noticeable difference.

At this point...one of the things that I'm looking at is whether of not I really need to stick with 100% Winchester loading supplies at all.

I shoot exclusively Brownings..and have acquired 5 of them since I restarted shooting last Novenber. The primer issue seems to be sensitive to what guns they are shot in in some of the threads I have seen. ...and then maybe not in others.

I shoot Skeet and Trap...if it matters what you are loading for, and am loading about 500 shells per week (at the least).

The cost of loading is bearing down...so I'm looking at differences in primer cost...and the perceived benefit of one over the other. I do not want to sacrifice anything, especially quality...but do want to save money if I can.
    I imagine, like many things it is perceived that more expensive means better. In my experience...that is not always true..and I don't even consider cost in determining what works the best. I hope the opinions expressed on this subject are not biased toward one primer or another, because it cost more...must be better mind set.

The Cheddite primers are mentioned often...although I haven't read the entire archives I haven't seen much on other alternatives. So regarding primers with Brownings...advice please.

...and then there is the wad issue.

A couple of things I have noticed in my limited experiments is that Winchester 28 gauge wads are "not " the same as Claybuster 28 gauge wads. The Claybusters are shorter....so the Winchester wads load/look better (crimp etc.)

On the other hand the WInchester .410 wads do not load as well as the Claybuster wads...the Winchesters seem to be longer or something. At any rate the Claybusters hold the exact powder and lead loads and crimp correctly...the Winchesters are to full to crimp right.

As you might imagine..Browning owner's experiences regarding primers may be more relevant....

So what do you use..?

Thanks Stan

2. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

fiocchi 616 primers, claybuster wads, is what I use in all the gauges

You will need to adjust the press's for your components then stick with them,,

Best of luck

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

I use winchester 209 primers and claybuster wads in all gauges, John

4. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I've used 100K Cheddite primers and Claybuster (plus a few Down Range) wads. they work just fine. More important than name brand is to find something that works for your shooting and loading and stay with it.

5. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Claybuster Wads are more than fine, I still used W209 primers because we can get them for about $125 per case of 5000.

6. wlc

wlc Member

Cheddite and Claybuster. No problems with Cheddites in two different Brownings.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nobel Sport primers and CB wads.

Keller

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Dividing by units of 5000, are Winchesters really an indulgence ...

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Just paid $90/5000 for NS. Yeah, Winchester primers are an unnecessary indulgence.

10. schneep

schneep Member

Cheddite, Clay Buster or Downrange
    I use Clay Busters in all 1 1/8 loads and Downrange in my 1 oz loads
    Win AA and Rem Nitros

11. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Quick question. Loading on a spolar (shooting a blaser), will switching to a cheddite or nobel sport primer affect anything. I realize I may have to adjust my drops, but I load more than safe loads. Previously I was using wincheser wad (pink 1oz) and W209's with Clays. I loaded these because they came with the loader when I bought a guy out. I am thinking about going to DR wads, and changing to a less expensive primer. I am in agreement with Big M though. Is it worth changing over and saving $50 on a $1,000 order? I just wanted to see what type of effect the primer would have since I know some problems resize the primer hole permanently. I have about 6,000 AA' (HS), and about 2,000 STS's, Nitro's/ gunclubs. I was even thinking about getting rid of the remington hulls, or trading, so I could load one shell. a guy at my club shoots almost 500 AA's a week, and doesnt reload so I get them all.

12. slick50

slick50 Member

Be careful with Cheddites in a K80. My K80 firing pin was splitting the anvil on the chedites a lot. This causes a lot of blow back into the receiver.

13. willing

willing Member

I've loaded 25000 cheddites, same size as American primers, and shot them in a Brownng Citori with absolutely no problem. I have found that Downrange wads load easier, slippery,and are much cleaner than Claybusters. I'm using a MEC 9000 and load both Rem Gun clubs and Win HS without adjusting anything.

Bill

14. glenns

glenns Member

Been using fiocchi 616 primers for last couple years. $23-24/1,000

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Bill, above. I shoot Ceddite primers and Downrange wads in 99% of my reloads. The Cheddite primers are very close to Winchester 209's, and around here, they are $40.00+ less than Winchesters. I've loaded many, many, thousands of them and they are a great bargin when comparing them to Win. 209's. Wads? No question, Downrange. I have loaded them all; Win, Rem., Federal, Duster, Hawk, Trapper, Windjammers (I like these too), Herters, Claybuster, and a host of others that I can't remember and Downrange is, simply put: the best wad currently available to reloaders on the market today. Kevin, and company, go out of their way to help with any questions, or concerns, when it comes to their product. It's a great company to do buisness with..... Just my preference..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. Unknown1

Ultimately, any size difference between Nobels/Fiocchis/Cheddites and Winchesters makes absolutely no difference if you're changing brands to save money. You'll pick the brand that offers you a reliable supply and you're hardly likely to switch back to the more expensive primers afterward.

Keller

17. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Lot'sa good information here...thank you gentlemen.

....very much appreciated.

Best regards..Stan

18. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I'll provide a little bit of a contrary opinion. I like to build my reloads to match factory specs, so that I can expect the same performance from my reloads as I do from a box of factories. That way I can shoot either in an ATA not feel like I am at a disadvantage either way.

If you play with the cost calculator, you will see that lead is the primary driver in the cost of reloads. Powder and primers are about equal and are secondary to lead by a long way. So to me it is worth a few cents to know that my components are all name brand. Winchester wads/primers in AA's, Federal wads/primers in Federals and Remington STS wads/primers in STS/Nitros.

19. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"I like to build my reloads to match factory specs, so that I can expect the same performance from my reloads as I do from a box of factories. That way I can shoot either in an ATA not feel like I am at a disadvantage either way."</i></blockquote>Problem is...<UL><LI>you don't know what specs the factory loads actually perform to. They vary a lot from each other and from the specs on the box.<LI>you probably don't use the same powder, primer and/or wads the factory does</Ul>All you have are the numbers the factory puts on the box and the components you buy OTC. Unless you've actually had a box of factory loads ballistics tested and compared them to your "copies" loaded from someone else's data or factory numbers on a box top, you really have no idea how yours compare with theirs.

Keller

20. Proofdoubles

Proofdoubles Member

Duster Wads - better than Claybuster IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.