1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST ALL TIME PUMP-MODEL 12, REM 31, REM 870?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i love pump guns. had a model 12, pre 64, best feeling gun for trap i ever had. weight was between the hands. had a rem 31 tc, boy was it heavy, but it could sure smoke the targets. had rem 870, ta, tb, tc, and an all american grade, they could really break targets too. what pump do you feel was the best ever made and why? also, any idea if the model 12 and 31 were made today, what would they retail for in today's dollars?
    steve balistreri

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Model 12- nothing close for a pump- if price doesnt matter

regards

Gene

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

31 TC, -----what the 870 should have been.

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have never owned any pump shotgun, but can tell you in the limited time I have been trapshooting, the 870 in any shape smokes targets. I have seen some guns that look like they have never been cleaned, no beads, and were dragged in behind the bus go out and smoke 25 in a row. Yeah, it is the shooter and not the gun thing, but the quality of the breaks with the 870 were fabulous. Must have been a very tight fixed choke. Makes me ashamed when I get out the chrome plated deluxe shooter and struggle along with my 24, no breaks which were the quality of the rusty old 870.

I have seen a lot of guns and shooters, and good old boys with 870's have impressed and surprised me the most.

5. Notime2

Notime2 TS Member

By sheer numbers sold....The 870.

Never owned one, but I have 1/2 a dozen M-12's....Love them!

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

All are great guns. I have a number of them. I will have to say the 31 has the best action when you want a smooth action.

7. magic

magic Member

MODEL 12 - NUFF SAID!!

JASON

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The 870 killed the Mod 12 on price alone!

I have 2 870s and 16 Mod 12s...that tell ya anything?

9. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Model 12 hands down..870's are Ok But cannot compare to a Model 12, All machined milled steel, Just drop the trigger group on both and compare, The 870 is like a Mickey Mouse compared too a M12! Richie

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I have an M12 and an 870 and I like them both but for different reasons. I like my M12 just because it is a mechanical work of art. My TB however is MY favorite trap gun. It just works....and works....and works...kind of an energizer bunny thing.

Steve

11. 45er

45er TS Member

The Remington Model 870 Wingmaster pump shotgun has been going strong for over 50 years without a major design modification. Why? Because it shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots in all weather conditions and in the duck and goose blinds from the frozen corn fields of Canada to the gumbo mud marshes of Louisiana. No other pump gun can compare with its records for sales and longevity. Rob

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

I presently own all 3 a 31 tc, an 870 All-American and model 12's, IMOP hands down, the 31 for quality and smoothness, the action is like butter! best quality ever built into a pump gun. incinerate em!

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Those damn 870's must always be a breakin down huh? I shoot a 1200 winchester when it works.

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I purchased my first 870 new in 1964 for $62 which was dealer cost at a sporting goods store where I worked. This was about a month’s part time pay. It was a plain barrel 28” modified and boy did it kill rabbits. Once we jumped one rabbit and then another and I shot them both at about 30 yards. My friends never got a shot. It was and is a great hunting gun. It fit me like a glove. Over the next few years, I took many more rabbits, quail, doves, woodcock, squirrels and a small buck (deer slug) with the 870. I still have it

When I started shooting trap, I tried a friend’s model 12 and did not like it. After fooling around with a Browning BPS and an 1100, I bought an 870 TA Trap and really liked it. I shot mostly games back then but it was a money winner. I still have the TA, along with other 870’s, and still shoot it for games. I put an .740 over bored barrel on it with the super full choke on it and it is a very effective games gun.

The model 12 is a work of are but, for me, the 870 just feels right.

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It is a little like asking about Blondes, Red Heads, and Brunettes. Everybody has their opinion. I've owned all 3 and still have 4 870s and 2 model 12s. For sheer slickness in the action, the Model 31 is by far the slickest. For smooth lines and beauty, it'd the old model 12 by a mile, however for pure rugged dependability the 870 wins hands down. Rudy Etchen shot his 1950 model 870 until his death a few years ago. They are built like a tank and have very few moving parts. It's almost impossible to wear one out!

16. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Very interesting. The model 1

17. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

18. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

19. bulgie

bulgie TS Member