1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best all around shot choice?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I enjoy shooting trap, sporting clays and skeet. I ordered a better shotmaker and asked for 8.5 but I'm having second thoughts. Would 8's be best for all around. I got to thinking that I have seen clay pigeons move when shot at, especially in skeet and sporting clays but not break(I have picked up some of those unbroken targets and many have hit marks on them). It's much rarer in trap. I used 9's mostly in skeet and 8's in sporting. I'm not going to buy but one shotmaker. What is your opinion on which is best. Jackie B.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If I had only once choice for shot size for all duty, it would be 8s....Bob Dodd

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

ditto.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

ditto ditto

Neil

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If your skeet is restricted to 12 and 20 gauge, #8s will work.

6. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I shoot 8's exclusively for singles and handicap.

hubcap

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Eights are my favorite for clay targets.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

I prefer 7.75's but will settle on and shoot 8's almost all the time.

9. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

8 Skeet, Trap and Sporting.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

John C. Saubak

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

7 1/2. more energy, more speed, not much difference in pellet count vs what it takes to break a target. Neil Winston would be good on this one. trap shooting only

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

smsnyder,

I believe that Neil said that 8's were ok. Lol.

I'll second that thought, 8's work fine for me.

ec90t

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i wonder what the real facts are. 7 1/2 shot means less pellets, more speed, vs how much actual pellets it takes to break a target and what engery amount. Now this is deep.

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Not to worry Jackie. You're going to get shot sizes from 10 to 7's from your 8.5 drippers anyway. A number of factors go into what size shot you make and the drippers are just one of them. The temperature of the drippers/lip are affected by the slightest wind, how big your ingots are, where you place them in the ladle, etc., and the temperature affects the shot size. The Stewart model should be somewhat less variable because the cast iron changes temperature slower than aluminum.

Buz

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you are making your shot go with the size 8 that will give you a mix of 7 to 8 1/2 8 .5 drippers will tend to be 8 to 10 size i like the 7.5 but that is me ricks1

16. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

27 yard shooter usually are very experinced ,most I have saw shot 7 1/2 size . I shoot both 8 and 7 1/2 we have cold weather up in Northern Ohio . So 7 1/2 is my choice ! 8 is too mental for me at long yardage .

Pat Kelley

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Last week I ran the two boxes at 16 yards I shot. The gun gave me diesel smoke breaks, as usual, and a fellow with a Wilkinson-tuned Kolar asked me if I had any work done to my barrel. My 34" Krieghoff Unsingle is stock, except for Angle Porting. I use a Ballistic Specialties Full choke (35 points). I later found out I had accidentally used my rather quick SKEET 24 gram NINES.

I am beginning to think, that at least up close, shot size is irrelevant.

If you have measured your newest bag of shot, you might have two sizes up or down from what is marked on the bag. The Lawrence I bought last year has very few pellets that are the size marked on the bag.The 7 1/2's go from #6 to #9. The 9's go from #7 to #10's.

The Winchester "special" shot I got on closeout last fall is about the same. The Eagle seems to be more consisitent, but is the intl' size, or smaller than our American size.

With that said, and with my 50+ years of stubborness, er,,, shooting experience, I prefer 7 1/2 for everything. I only use 9's for skeet at a club with a shotfall issue.

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If I could only have one size, it would probably be 8s. I prefer 7 1/2s for long yardages, but have done quite well with 8s and see no real difference in my scores or breaks. 8 1/2s work real well for 7/8 or 1oz loads from the 16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.