1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Air Travel Case

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sam T., Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam T.

Sam T. TS Member

what is the consensus on the overall best 'protective' shotgun case for air travel?

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I personally swear by my Browning Travel Vault/Pelican-made case. I have traveled any number of times with my double gun and while the case is not a "looker" - it takes a licking, but the gun and accessories stay pristine.

With the Pelican cases, mine is the takedown model with wheels; I like the fact that I could customize the dense foam to my particular shotgun. The case features an o-ring seal and a pressure release valve.

regards,

Jay

3. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Cabela's Bulletproof case. Works fine for me.

Jack

4. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

http://www.starlightcases.com/

The Starlight cases I use have proven to be the absolute best I have ever used - for air travel, for throwing in the back of your pickup in a rain strom etc etc.

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have been using the tuff pac case for about 5 years. Carry two guns in mutton cases. Great protection.
    http://www.tuffpak.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I will side with Jack1122, I saw a review on guncases out of a gun mag and they put the bulletproof case on top. They threw the case, dropped the case and ran over the case with a truck and this case did its job. Cabela's Bulletproof Aluminum Case. They have a number of models for you to pick from. I also have one and its been through hell with the shippers. I'm still using it today.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Pelican case is probably the strongest case for the money. If you don't mind fitting the inserts yourself, you can save a lot of money. I have two Pelican rifle cases went through Africa twice, dropped from baggage truck in a pouring rain, no damage of their contents including scopes, the cases are water tight, and stayed water tight after the drop. You'll have to know where it landed on the ground to find the scratch.

Americase or other metal cases are strong, but Pelican cases are almost indestructible. The only down side is it's way over kill for range use.

I think if it was chosen for military application, it's good for me.

8. cafowler

cafowler Member

I'll 2nd the Pelican cases. I've flown with one for almost 25 years, no problems. TSA guy at Reagan National told me lots of seal teams go thru there with the same cases. Good enough for them boys, good enough for me.

Pelican's also come with a Lifetime warranty, if anything does go wrong, just send it back for a new one. A friend has the Alumicase, single locking bar along one side thru the latches, and it is really cumbersome. Anything it bumps, that heavy case dings up or dents. Rhino also makes cases, not just chokes, but they are pricy.

Whichever one you get, be sure it has wheels if you plan on flying with it much. Makes getting in/out of the airport way easier. If I had to buy a new case again, I'd get the longer double rifle case, instead of take-down shotgun case, often I travel with 2 guns, and they'd fit much better in the longer case.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Pelican!!....no nead to look elswhere!!!

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

These guys make the best cases (they laugh at baggage handlers!!) at the best prices I have seen. I've used them for nearly 20 years and have six of them and use them all the time. Never had a bad experience and never heard of one. If they don't have what you need/want they will make it for you.

Charlie

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

"I'll 2nd the Pelican cases. I've flown with one for almost 25 years, no problems. TSA guy at Reagan National told me lots of seal teams go thru there with the same cases."

I have to say the TSA guy was bullshitting you....I don't think SEAL teams or any other special ops units would let it be known to TSA they were in fact special ops and carrying their weapons along on commercial air. Even if they get deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan and take commercial air to the Middle East (transit point is usually Qatar or Bahrain), their leathal combat gear rides on military air to avoid being hassled by the civilian/military authorities when transiting other countries.

12. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I wanted something tough as nails and also well secured. They build the case to your specs and I can say that despite a few dents from baggage mashers still looks new. Not cheap, but it beats the alternative. Hal Hitchcock
    http://www.rhinochokes.com/Rhino_Gun_Cases.htm

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have a Pelican case for my rifles - and love it, but it is heavy and bulky and does not easily hold two shot guns and four barrels... (A smaller one for pistols is great too)

I happened to pick up a Colorado Custom Case off of TS.com and it is fantastic for moving two actions and four barrels. Tough as nails and really protects the guns when moving them around.

Highly recommend that you look at them.

14. Merlyn

Merlyn Well-Known Member

I will have a travel vault for sale at the Mo. Fall HCP this year..80.00.. Could use some new liner foam...merlyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.