1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST ACCIDENT - THE ONE THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT-100dc, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

BEST ACCIDENT - THE ONE THAT DIDN

As a former Safety Manager, the best accident is the one that didn't happen. Today, while a round of trap was being shot a shooter fired and the wad didn't clear the barrel. No one on the squad insisted that he run a ramrod (dowel rod) through the barrel and he said the gun (Rem. 1100) was cleared. I told him to run the ramrod through the barrel and out comes the wad. This was the 2nd time this year that I've had to insist that the barrel is clear of obstruction. You can never to too safe and if you can't see down the barrel (as with the break open guns) run the ramrod to ensure the gun barrel is cleared. Squad members should insist that a gun is checked and not just rely on the shooter. BT100dc

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Was he a Liberal?

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

How about the recent pistol shooting incident in Texas, where one "Tactical Ted" shot another one 3 times while going through a "shoot house" for a room-clearing drill?

When I consider how often the Tactical Teds get hurt by projectiles, and Trapshooting's comparatively tiny accident rate over decades of experience, I get to thinking we ain't so bad.

But still...I've been seeing a lot more scary incidents over the last 10 years on clay target ranges. The one you mention is a good lesson; back in the bad old days of human pullers, it was customary at a lot of clubs to keep a ram-rod attached to the scorer's chair. I suspect with practice rounds being shot over voice pulls and nobody keeping score, this tradition could have fallen away somewhat.

The person who needs a brass knocker is usually the one who doesn't have one, and didn't know they exist or what they're for. So it's good for as many of the rest of us as possible to carry them. I learned that lesson one time when a guy shooting 25 yds. next to me when I was on 24, ringed the barrel of a Perazzi TMX because of exactly the situation you describe. That could have been interesting.

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have turned my knees to jelly a couple of times

but because

a little voice in my head said

"STOP, somethings not right here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

All that got hurt was a hard wood butt that we kept around to catch those things!

It was thinking of what I could have just done that jellied my knees!

Always treat it as if the wad is in there!

Al

working in the industry I work in. Somehow having the right instincts, I have taken some bruises because I was not sure of where my hand was going or could go, that have been worth the bruise because the alernitive was grabbing something that would have mangeled a hand or arm or worse!

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Although I have creds to run a Shoot-House, I do not care to do so. Folks get flustered, and I am on a catwalk above them. Not a good feeling when someone points their gun in the air with finger on trigger.

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Good catch BT. I still remember our Marine shooting instructors making us not only look but actually put our fingers in the chamber of the M-16s just to be double extra sure and do it to this day. One can never be too careful.

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

He should have had a UGB25....problem solved ;op Jerry

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We have a guy at the club that had a wad stick in his barrel and he was just going to shoot it out. We all jumped on him hard just to get him to remove the wad.

He thought it would be OK. We should have let him learn the hard way. Every club has one.

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Good cal, bt100dc! Good on ya'! Always better safe than sorry!

I used to have a custom golf club shop, and only this weekend I took two graphite driver shafts with grips on them down to our club to leave on the gun rack to use for just this purpose! Martinpicker

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

You never want to do it, but I'll bet that plenty of wads have been shot out without anyone ever knowing they were there.

11. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

BT-

Good call! Thanks for being so 'demanding' that the person check the barrel. Good job!

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.