1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 9mm?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Setterman, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I am looking for an accurate 9mm for competition shooting. I would like some recommendations for balance and accuracy. It will not be used as a carry gun.
    I just shoot little, local, club stuff for fun.

I just had surgery and can't shoot a trap gun for 5 weeks, so maybe I can get myself comfortable with a new 9mm.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

Setterman:

In my opinion the SIGs are the best <$1000 out of the box. I recently shot a "well used" P228 that was surprisingly accurate. High Powers with adjustable sights are very good, but need trigger work and possible mag safety removal in order to be accurate/competitive. If you want something a little cheaper, consider a Beretta FS92 (or M9) or... (open mind required)... a CZ75. Both of those can be decent out of the box, but you might think you need a little trigger work. If your budget allows, look at the available 1911 style 9mm pistols. Kimber's aren't bad and STI is better if you want to spend more and get more.

Good luck.

-Gary

3. Setterman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Gary, I currently have a couple Kimbers in .45, so a 1911 is definitely an option. What other manufacturers have good accuracy in 9mm on the 1911 platform?

I've heard the CZ75's are accurate as you stated.

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

0   0   0

Glock 19 or 17?

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

0   0   0

I like multiple brands of handguns but I am especially fond of the Glock 17 / 19. I have found they are natural pointers as the barrel sits closer to the axis of the wrist forearm. Accuracy is superb. Just last week as if I had any doubts, I was invited to a local P.D. range to see and shoot the fourth generation glocks.

The Glcok rep also had a Model 18C Machine Pistol for us to shoot. The fourth generation glocks have removable back straps of three different sizes to accommodate a larger variety of hand size.

IT comes with a two piece recoil spring which reduces felt recoil by whatever percent. The fourth generation Glocks will also shoot all existing Glock mags unless; the mag release is switched for a lefty. That is another new feature. If the mag release is switched to the right side of the gun, then one will have to buy new glock mags as the new glock mags have the notches for the mag release to engage on both sides.

My old Glock mags just have the notch on the one side since the mag release cannot be switched around.

And as far as reliability. THere were about 25 of us there and we got to shoot the 18C with 32 rounds in the magazine. The gun was filthy when he pulled it out of the case. THe Glcok rep shot a mag to demonstrate the stance and then handed the gun to my buddy, he shot, I shot, and it went on until like the 6 mag or so.

That is when the glock rep said the gun was too hot, so he took it with the slide locked to the rear and double dunked it in a 5 gallon bucket of water half filled. He shook the gun, said next, and 6 more guys would rock the gun until the glock rep repeated the dunking procedure.

Zero malfunctions during that roughly 1600 round shooting session with the exception of a couple guys broke their wrist grip and the limp caused the gun to jam. Everyone with locked arms and wrists were fine.

32 rounds in approximately 1.3 seconds! Just awesome!

ALso able to keep the rounds in a 16 in circle at 7 yds.

The glock rep said only maintenance to the gun is every 3 thousand rounds or so he changes the recoil spring and that particular 18C (9mm if I didn't say) is 15 years old and nothing but the recoil spring has been changed. He uses whatever lube he can get a hold of and lubes it when he changes out the recoil spring.

Very convincing demonstration to me at least. I have multiple brand semi-auto handguns and have carried different ones over the years that were issued to me.

Is Glock my favorite, not for looks, I think they are ugly, but for balance and accuracy especially in a 9mm, well, Glock rocks.

I am also really partial to Browning Highpowers though, and IMHO you can't go wrong there!

6. Setterman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Actually, I have a Glock 19 in 9mm, but it feels light and the grips seem to be too small for me. I don't shoot it well. I was going to sell it to fund the new 9mm.

7. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

0   0   0

I've had a CZ75 for 20 years as a carry gun that I shoot in competition as well. Never has jammed on me.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

0   0   0

FNP-9, if you like a Sig229, this gun will do the trick.

Phil Berkowitz

9. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

0   0   0

Sig Sauer: I have a 'police model' P226 with Tritium sights that are getting dim - but it is accurate, easy to handle and I like 'seeing' a hammer and like the hammer drop feature. I have the Sig Sauer .22 conversion kit for mine, works pretty good. The Sig line has a chunky grip which works good for me and makes the gun a natural pointer and soaks up some recoil (although 9mm doesn't really 'recoil'), some folks may not like the grip. The P228 looks like an ok gun too. You can get this gun with a 'long' or 'short' trigger option, try them in the store. The Sig's also come in different overall lengths and slightly shorter grip lengths too - lots of options. Lot's of different finishes: desert sand two- tone, etc. Make sure you get the one you want.

Glocks are ok carry guns if one must. I have (had) three Glock 17's, jut got rid of one, now down to 2 - brand new in the boxes.

10. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

0   0   0

You should also consider S&W M&P. Very popular in USPSA competition (you weren't specific about the competitions you want to shoot). I have 3 of them and all have run 100% for me through thousands of rounds - 2 in production division USPSA and 1 compact I've used in IDPA a few times (and my carry).

Jim In FL

11. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Sig Sauer for sure, in 9mm. If a 45,......Kimber.
    Rob

12. Loyac

Loyac Member

0   0   0

The Glock 34 Tactical 9mm is an amazing handgun. Very accurate. John

13. Loyac

Loyac Member

0   0   0

Now if you can find one of these...!!! The build quality is unbelievable. John

14. Setterman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

John, I'm not ready to spend $2,800 on a Champion, but I know where I can buy a used #34 Glock for $500. Good price?

15. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Here is My new one, I added a Lazer Max to the Rail. Love it Beretta 90 Two
    <a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Beretta90TWO.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I'm a Browning HiPower guy all the way

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Wilson Combat has a new 9mm out that is a tack driver.

18. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Setterman

I agree with a lots of ideas hewre on good guns, but I think the best gun for the buck is a Sig CPO gun. Check out Summit Gun Broker, great selection and he has P229 guns in 9mm with rail for about $550. Also has P226 (slightly longer & bigger capacity) in .40S&W for same price.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Sig_226_CPO.html

Don

19. EE

EE Banned User Banned

0   0   0

For competition, get a 1911.

EE

20. cementman

cementman Member

0   0   0

Walter P88, Full Frame automatic. The finest semi automatic 9mm ever manufactured. They are scarce and tough to find but once in while one may pop up.