1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 7/8oz wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Just to narrow it down: In your experience, which 7/8oz wad works best in your PW 800B loader, assuming the red Chinese torture finger thingey is in good condition? I use Remington STS/Nitro hulls exclusively, and for the most part Aliant Clay Dot or Green Dot powder. Also, I can report that the Winchester Grey wads do not work in my machine, at least with that hull. Some books call for Remington TGT-12S but it's a 1oz wad and the crimp isn't satisfactory.
    I think the answer is a simple as choice of the correct wad; but rather than learning the lesson, I'll humbly ask.

Thank you in advance....mike

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mike,

You might want to try the Federal 12S0 for a 7/8 oz load in the tapered hulls. Depending on the powder, they work quite well. Another choice might be the Jammer Lightnings. They sometimes work rather well for 7/8 oz loads at shorter yardages.

3. furface

furface Member

Claybuster CB4100 has been a good wad for me. Love the breaks i get but on some guns they will leave plastic in the bbl in hot weather. Small price to pay for what you get. Good luck, Joe

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The CB4100... DRXL-1 Jammer DRXXL... Duster..12SO or clone.. all will work fine..

5. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I've used DR XXL pinks in my 800+ with great results. In fact it is set so I can load XXL, XL-1 and XL118 with no changes other than the bushings.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Give the Downrange DRXXL (pink) a try. Your loading problems will go away. The ClayDot powder will be a good choice for these 7/8 Oz loads.

7. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Used the B&P T2 (BP's 078 Lightning) in my 600B for years and thousands of rounds. Using it now in my 800+'s, also for thousands of rounds with no problems.

But that's me.

Tony

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Tony.. the BP wad is a great wad for sure.. especially when you push them at the speeds they were designed for.. just.. have you found a place that sells them reasonable?????

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, friends.

I just ordered the BP Lightning's, and should have 'em soon.
    I went down to the loading bench and explained to 'ol 800-B that there's a batch of 7/8oz wads on the way that will work.

There was an audible sigh of relief, from the old boy, and hopefully, all is forgiven.

Thanks again.....all the best.....mike

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, let us know what you think after you've loaded a couple hundred. I was never happy with that wad in an STS hull, so I'd be interested in your results.

11. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I had problems with the lighting. I had inconsistent sounding loads at 1150 fps rated loads. I was going through an old Shotgun Sports magazine and notice the ad from Clay buster, it stated that the wad was meant for 1200 fps or greater loads. If you put a deep crimp on the shell it helps if you load under 1200 fps. I just got some pink xxl's and they load great but I haven't shot them yet. Bruce

12. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have had very good experience with the down range XXL pink in winchester and remington hulls both loading and shooting them with 7/8 oz loads.

13. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I have been using the gray claybusters for several year in my 800-B with no troubble at all.

14. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

No, I haven't found a place that is particularly reasonable for the T2 wads - damn. I buy them from either BP or Precision, depending on who's cheaper (like there's any difference to matter), and I drive them fast - around 1300 fps or so. And I use them in STS hulls or occasionally original AA's. Nothing else.

Winchester 209's and a goodly does of Clays - according to the data from either BP or Precision.

Tony

15. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

If you are getting inconsistent velocities and reports from 7/8oz. and light 1oz. loads, consider the powder first. You need a faster burning powder to get the pressures up to the point where the powder burns properly, considering the lighter load. So long as you are loading up to medium speeds, 1200 FPS give or take, Red Dot is the slowest thing I'd use. I put Clays to the chronograph and wasn't happy until I loaded it up to 1235 or so, then the Standard Deviations evened out. Below 1200 FPS and the speeds were all over the place. I then tried E3 (just a little faster than Red Dot and Titewad) and was very happy with the numbers at 1195 FPS. Winchester WAALite is also made for lighter loads, but a little tougher to find.

Sure, you can use slower powders and "make it work" and they'll break targets, but it's just not the best tool for the job. It's like driving a penny nail with a five pound sledge. It'll drive a nail, but a 16oz. belt hammer it made for that job.

As far as wads, I use the Pink Downrange DR XXL 7/8 in AA old and HS hulls. The shot cup seems a little shallow and the wad's overall length a little short when compared to how the Neon Green Downrange DR XL 1 loads, although just by a couple-few hundredths. I'm going to measure up the Claybuster CB0178-12 for my next batch and see how it compares.

I love to practice with the 7/8oz. loads from the 16 yard line. It uncovers any errors quickly and keeps me tight. 1oz. then breaks targets like crazy it seems. I load them to the same speeds to keep the leads the same. Needless to say the recoil is next to nothing and lets you shoot all day.

16. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Mike; At first I had problems trying to load 7/8 oz on my PW's and I was told that they were never designed to load a 7/8 oz load!!Everyone here can argue about that but I am not mentioning any names!

I have found in my older model 800-B's that when you take the wad seater apart and clean it,Then lube it and replace it and adjust it so it won't crush the wad,This solves the problem!You will need to play with this until you get it where you want it.

This process takes time so you might want to load several cases and keep notes!I have 3 loaders so I leave one adjusted for the 7/8 oz load and the remainder for other loads.If you only have one loader and you use different loads it can be a pain to readjust every time you go light!Good Luck! PJ

17. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

I love the Remington TGT-12S for 7/8ths. It being a 1 to 1 1/8 wad ensures that every bit of the shot is protected by plastic. I don't have a problem with the crimp as it turns out perfect with 19.0 grains of clays powder , STS Hull , winchester 209 primer for a published velocity of 1300fps. Try this load as it patterns excellent in my Perazzi and crushes targets.

18. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Duster, hands down.

19. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Let's see - I loaded 7/8 oz. loads on my P-W 600B until I finally stepped up to the 800+, and have loaded all of them since on one or both of my two 800+'s. How are they 'not designed' to do it?

My shells go bang and usually break birds. When they don't, it's my fault.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.