1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 7/8 wad for STS @ AA Hulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by reelfoot, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reelfoot

reelfoot TS Member

I'm about to order a substantial amount of wads for 7/8 loads in STS and AA hulls. Which do you prefer and whay?

2. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I have been using the Downrange XL-1 wads with great success now. I've loaded over 13,000 of them in both sts, nitro, and AA with 1 oz or 7/8 oz. Currently loading STS with 7/8 using this wad and it gives a great crimp and a good pattern.

Mr. Mark

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You have a lot of choices with a tapered hull (STS & AA). Downrange makes a great wad, but it's too hard to load with the way my MEC 9000 is set up. I've used the Windjammer II wad for about 4 years with Clays powder. The crimp is a bit dished, but nothing to be concerned about.

Lately, I've been shooting a lot of 3/4 oz. and found that the AA Gray wad, or Claybuster clone work the best for the light weights. I'm waiting for Duster Wads to bring out their new AA clone, called the 'Clear Wad'. It is an exact clone of the Gray, but it shoots a lot cleaner (no plastic build-up).

You can't beat the WJII for price.

IMHO,
    Kip

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I started with a CB clone for one of the Federal wads (12SO?) back in the last century. This combo performed quite well in skeet, 16 yard trap, and close shots of any persuasion plus recorded some excellent numbers over the chronograph with 700X. I later in the '90s switched to the Winchester 12L gray or the CB clone for that wad and have been using that combination in STS hulls for at least 12 years. The performance is still quite good for all applications and between some skeet, singles and doubles trap, and about 70 to 80% of all sporting clays/5 stand shots, it's my most common load.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

These load and shoot great for me in my STS and Gun Club hulls with 7/8 oz. of shot. There's a gentleman who sells them right here on TS.com: Matt- Woodson Enterprises(270) 804-5454

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Reelfoot,

As posted above please give me a call or email. I sell Downrange wads and think they are the best! I am not saying that because I sell them, I am saying that because I shoot them!! I sell different wads, but I really push the Downrange products. I think they are cleaner and pattern better. Everyone that has bought from me say they will never use nothing else! Prices are $64.00 per case and up! If you are going to be @ a shoot that I am at, you can save shipping! Please contact me. I can ship you a bag or two to try before you make a major purchase!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

3dram8, thanks for the reference!

7. okieshootist

okieshootist Member

Best 7/8 oz wad I have used (and I'm into case #2) is the Downrange XXL pink.
    Lots of data for it. Okieshootist (David H)

8. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

You're welcome Matt. Now do I get $10 off my next case order from you for the reference? j/k .....Rick

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I am partial to the Winchester factory 12L gray wad. Mostly becouse they are avalible locally. I load up about 500 or so a year and use them for practice and wifes ultra light loads. I load STS hull. I would try Downrange if they where found locally.

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

My very best 7/8 oz patterns come from Downrange XXL wads...PERIOD! Now, for Skeet, I'll use CB4100 Lightnings, as they seem to open up the pattern a bit quicker. HTH

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lightnings worked good for me till it got cold. Next batch will probably be 12S0.

HM

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Another for Downrange XXL. But since getting a PFS I don't shoot these light loads any more. Make sure your crimp is deep enough with any of these light loads, especially in the cold.

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

3dram8, I can help you out! No doubt about it! Matt

14. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Gray Claybuster

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

Green Dusters with a couple of grains of popcorn inserted before adding the shot.

16. oz

oz Active Member

I use TGT's. mostly for 1oz but work fine for 7/8's. oz

17. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Personally, I use the Baschieri & Pellagri T2 from Precision Reloading (also sold by Ballistic Products as the 078 Lightning). I tried a bunch of different wads, both domestic and European, and this one gives me enough confidence to pay the ridiculous prices they're going for these days.

Different folks and all that, but I won't use anything else in 12 gauge.

Tony

18. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Windjammer II for all applications, from 7/8 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. ME

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.