1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 5th Wheel Hitch - Information and Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dverna, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Last night I purchased a Ford 350 Diesel Dually and now I need to equip it with a good hitch. It has the 8' bed.

I plan on towing a 35-40 foot 5th wheel so that should put me at about 15,000-16,500 lbs.

Of prime importance is safety and ease of use. I also need something that can be easily removed and leave a relatively uncluttered bed for everyday use.

I have never used a 5th wheel so any other advise or comments are welcomed.

Cost is way down on my list. I prefer to buy the "right" stuff and be done with it.

Thanks,

Don Verna

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Don, I put a B&M companion in my 09 Chevy. They will do the goose neck turn over hitch and then the companion will attach to the hole in the bed that the goose neck ball goes into. Lets you have the ability to pull both types and costs are about the same as a standard 5th wheel hitch. The B&M rated at 30,000 lbs and the 5th wheel hitch at 19,000 lbs. I can take the 5th wheel hitch out and put it back in about 4 mins. Comes apart in a few pieces so you don`t need a crane or a couple of friends to help. Look them up on the net. I love mine. Larry

3. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I've got a Reese 16K on my 07 Chevy 3500 dual, pulling a 37ft 5th, (total wt 21,600lbs truck & trailer) make sure who you have doing the mounting work - Camping World etc..., 1st make sure you hitch on the truck articulate ie rocks side-to-side, most do, but check, next some will weld brackets on the frame, some will use bolt-on the made for model truck, I got my welded, the bars in your bed are standard so not much to worry about there, so take your pick, (like 7.5 vs 8's), also check and see if the trailer connector is mounted in the bed, (some will mount up front (hard to get to) and some will mount at the rear (mine is the rear), also make sure you get-use a low profile tool box, the high ones don't get it going into some places. Grubby

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Grubby. RE the tool box, consider the low one that mounts at the rear of the bed and basically replaces the tail gate; but if you're not towing a lot, that may be a nuisance.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

5. DJM

DJM Member

I have a Reese hitch and am happy with it. My regular auto mechanic refused to install it. He advised going to a trailer specialty place. Several RV places in my area recommended the same trailer shop and that is where I went. They offerred the option of bolting the rail mounting hardware to the truck frame or for $50 less welding it. They told me if welded it is no longer removeable and if you want to transfer the hitch to a different truck it will cost $100 to buy new rail mounting hardware.

My hitch, like most that I see, has 4 large (1/2") pins that connect the hitch to the mounting rails. Each of the 4 pins has a small hairpin clip through it to keep it in place. Simply pull the 4 hairpins, then the four 1/2" pins and the 5th wheel lifts out (it's not light) leaving just the mounting rails in the truck bed.

6. sbhced

sbhced Member

This is link to B & W hitch high2 referred to. I am on my third truck with a "Turnover Ball". B & W is a great company to do business with.
    http://www.turnoverball.com/rv.asp
    Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.