1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST .45 Auto - home defense??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RoadKingPerazzi, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

I want opinions on the best .45 Auto for home protection, and suggested accessories, upgrades, etc. This is not for carry or CCW. Have that taken care of with Kahr CM9.

2. yzfart

yzfart TS Member

I am partial to the Springfield Armory XD45. A very reliable gun with 13 round capacity and easy to use controls.

Some of the features I like:

1. It has a grip safety and a trigger safety (a la glock) so you do not have to fumble with an external safety to toggle with your thumb.

2. It has a loaded chamber indicator that is tactile as well as visual.

3. It has a cocked action indicator that is tactile as well as visual.

4. Ambidextrous magazine release.

5. It has cut rifling, so you can shoot lead bullets through it.

6. Nice feel and grip angle.

It is a plastic framed gun, which I don't particularly care for - but it gets the J.O.B. done.

Ben

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wow, that'll open up a can of worms LOL.

My $.02 opinion is a SIG/Sauer P-220 with tritium night sights. Mine has been totally reliable in 25 years of hard use. My son has a P-220 that's nearly as old as mine that was a police trade in. Completely reliable and accurate. Who knows how many rounds have been through his?

Regardless of what you get, please consider tritium night sights. They are well worth the extra $100 bucks or so. You want to make sure you take care of your intruder and not the neighbor's intruder at 3AM.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Not to be a smartalic but one that is easy to get to and goes BANG when you pull the trigger!!

The BEST home defense is a Riot/trench Shotgun setup.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Shotgun by far. After that a Glock 19 with a 33 round mag.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I did fondle a new Springfield XD45m compact but didn't get the plastic out..got a Browning hi-power 9mm in one strategic location ..and a Ruger p90dc in another and a Marlin 1894 357Mag handily hidden for back field varmint elimination...so I'm fairly safe...but that 45 is still calling my name

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Reliability is important, accuracy not so much.

8. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Which ever one you can clear in 2 seconds or less with your weak hand while holding your strong hand behind behind your back.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Taurus Judge or the S&W equivalent

Phil Berkowitz

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are a lot of them out there now. Colts have always worked- and you cant go wrong with one.

On the other hand- there are a lot of choices now. Most of the new ones get good reviews.

Depending on climate- you might want to get a stainless steel one

Just make sure you shoot whatever you get enough to be sure it functions with whatever you are feeding it.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

My HK USP 45 has been extremely reliable. It is a fabulous firearm, especially with night sights and the match trigger. I would get the "tactical" version if you can have it in your state.

12. oz

oz Active Member

I had the same dilemma years ago. I asked my friend (a custom 45 gunsmith) and he said springfield 1911. I got a loaded stainless 1911 and love it. oz

13. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Not sure about an auto at 3am, at least for me. I prefer a big revolver. No safety, mag, jambs. I'm partial to the 625 Smith and Wesson. I reckin if I miss six times in my own home it is just my time. Its a 45 auto revolver so I didn't. Wander off topic.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Another vote for the XD. I have Kimbers but have the XD at the bedside.

14 rounds may not be needed but there is NEVER a problem with having ammo left over.

It is more important that the gun works for you and you have confidence in it and your ability to use it under stress.

Add a laser and/or night sights to whatever you purchase. I prefer the light handheld and not attached to the gun.

Don Verna

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Another vote for h&k usp 45.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Like Brian I have a P220 and have since 1994. Love it

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have both Sig P220 and an assortment of 1911's. My primary go to gun is a 12ga in the corner next to the bed and my back-up is a 7 shot 686 with a 4" barrel. I have been eyeing a S&W Governor as I like the flexibility of the cartridges it handles. I keep the auto's handy for when I'm fully awake.

If you're just wanting an excuse to go out and buy a 45? Find the one you want and purchse it.

ss

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A good flashlight...

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

WHY WOULD SOME ONE WANT THAT KIND OF GUN FOR THE HOME????????????

Use a shotgun for the home. Why? A 45 cal will go right through all the walls in the house. You could hit the wife, son, or daughter. The bullet could also exit the house and hit someone else. NOT GOOD.

Use a shotgun with bird shot. The local police at the gun range had a class for HD and had a small wall put up. It was made of sheetrock on both sides and insulation. There were also 2x4's. Yes if you were close up to the wall the shot would go through but if you were shooting down the hall one or both sheetrock would stop the bird shot. It is safer then a bullet.

20. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Well let's see! I have 44 mag and 357 mag in bedroom(357 for wife), 41 mag on my tv end table, new Les Baer beside the 41, model 12 with ws1 choke loaded with buck and #2 shot in gun room, a dog to warn me and oh, a Marlin 60 with 15 lr hollowpoints in gun room also! I like to be prepared for when the zombies come auctioneer! Also, a full length pick handle in the trunk of my car! Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.