1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best .410 Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Hello Everyone, I'm probably going to ask a very controversial question here because I know that opinions are like !@#$%^& because everyone has one, but here goes. I'm looking for input as to what anyone has found to be the best .410 load for skeet. I've been shooting skeet for quite a while and my scores in all gauges except the .410 are consistently in the mid-to-high 90's. Now I realize the .410 is challenging to begin with but I'm wondering if my reloads can be improved to give more consistent patterns resulting in more hits because the .410 is kicking my butt! I'm currently reloading AA hulls, H110 powder, Claybuster wads, Win 209 primers, & #9 shot. I know some of you are probably falling out of your chair laughing about now, and will come back with something smart involving more practice and that's fair, because there is probably some truth to that. But, my question remains: Has someone found a good load with AA hulls (or some other hull) that yields good, consistent patterns? Thanks.

Rod

2. fooldawg

fooldawg Member

What speed are your loads running at ?

From what I read, .410 doesn't pattern well until 1275 fps...

3. rocko

rocko Member

Don't pattern the .410, it will scare you to death. I have found that Alliant 410 powder does the best in my gun. Hits are like a 12 ga. Many of my skeet buddies have switched to Alliant 410 and like it. All that have switched found that the published charge weight is a little to much, I am dropping 12gr in the old compression formed AA hulls with PC wad, your mileage may vary.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Alliant 410 is good, as is WW 296. NOTHING is as good as factory in a 410. The original PC orange wads were the best and the DR orange a poor second.

5. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I'm dropping 14 gr. and running about 1200 fps. Okay, here's another question; what barrel length and choke gives the best .410 patterns?

Rod

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rod, I use the same shell, Win. AAHS hull, Win. primer 15.3 gr. Hll0 powder with a 5050-410HS wad. I've tried both #9's and #8 l/2s and I like the 8 l/2's better. This shell is a standard 1200 fps with low pressures which allows me extra reloads with same hulls. Building your confidence is very important with the baby bore. Be extra carefull to avoid moving your eye at all while turning with this gun. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

HotRod - Unless you are using a load with drops outside the book, you'll make no material improvement by changing your load. I use a different load, but I don't pretend my load performs any better that what you are using.

Most reloaders open their bars to throw the NSSA max 1/2 ounces. Don't go too close or a change it shot quality can put you over.

See your messages to get my thoughts on the chokes.

8. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Rod, 1st thing, you need a gram scale. No mention in your question about how many grains you are dropping. I reccommend you use Mag. lead, and not chilled shot. For one reason, you can drop more lead using Mag. lead, and two, chilled shot is softer and you will have fliers, or deformed lead. If you're using the older compression formed AA hulls(silver lettering), my suggestion is to drop 14.4 grains of WW296 powder, with the Win. white wad(if you have them), or claybusters white wads. If you are using the AAHS hulls, drop 15.3 to 15.5 grains, using either the Win. red wad, or claybusters HS wad. I would not use Alliant powder, because they burn hulls. I normally get a minimum of 7 to 10 loads using WW296. One last thing to check you lead drop. Should be between 224 to 228 grains. If it's over 229, its not a legal load. If you have more questions, send a PM.

David McMillen

9. 100straight

100straight Member

I used to shoot registered skeet. Now I just shoot for fun, but I use .410 almost exclusively. I always had the best results with Remington hulls and 8-1/2 Remington STS shot. I once heard Todd Bender say that the best kept secret in skeet (for the .410) was Remington STSs with 8-1/2 shot. Anyway, I use Winchester primers, Lil Gun powder, Claybuster wads, but I think the shot size and brand were/are most important. My 2 cents.

Mark.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

For years I used Li'l Gun and came to realize that it played havoc on the hulls. I now used AAHS hulls 296 powder, Cheddite primer and no 9 shot and get more reloads out of the hulls except for the ones that have a crack in the brass. They are bad, even worse than the 28ga brass. Good shooting. Jackie b.

11. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Wow, thank you everyone for your replies. I can't believe it...no one threw any barbs. I guess we've all been there at one point in time. To answer some questions and provide a little more info; I'm dropping 14 gr. of H110 powder giving me 1200 fps. In addition,I'm shooting a K-80 Parcours Special with 30" barrels with Kolar tubes, and I have 5 different choke tubes for the .410. They are labeled .405, .407, .410, & .412. The two chokes that are currently in my tubes are the .410 & .405. I haven't played around with the other chokes. Could the length of my barrels affect my pattern or breaks, i.e. would I be better off with a 28" barrel for this gauge, and/or should I change the chokes I presently have in my tubes?

Rod

12. David McMillen

Rod, the most important question is what is the bore diameter of you 410 tubes?

Make sure you clean the tubes before checking.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

here is a question for the subgauge shooters.....been asking on various forums about the 28 and .410, specifically performance of either gauge when they are underbored vs overbored.

any die-hard subgauge shooters out there want to comment? Krieghoff underbores their 28 gauge and .410 barrels, to .543 and .402 respectively. Perazzi and a couple others overbore their barrels (.555 and .413 for Perazzi 28 gauge and .410). In general, what would give a better pattern, underbore or overbore? Or it doesn't matter the smaller the gauge you go?

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Most shooters use around .004 constriction for skeet unless second shot of 3-4-5 doubles shoot-off, then they go for .006 or there abouts. Break-em all. Jeff

15. David McMillen

servn99,overbore is better, less deformed lead.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Best load = 296 powder, STS hull, Remington wad and CCI primer. You can fit 32 more #9s in that hull combo than you can fit in a AA. HMB

17. David McMillen

hmb, If your load is over 229 grains, it's an illegal load for registerd skeet.

18. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

To answer the tube bore question above, they measure .007.

Rod

19. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You say that you are using AA hulls and 14 grains of H110. If they are the old compression hulls, you might be getting close to 1200 fps. If you are using the newer AAHS hulls, you'll need more powder to get that fast. I load 15.3 grains for my 1200 fps recipe. Also, most 410 skeet barrels are choked tighter than 12 gauge skeet barrels. Old Remington 1100 410 skeet guns were choked modified and labeled skeet. Remember that 410 chokes are figured at 25 yards rather than 40 yards for the larger gauges. I would try tighter chokes, being as you have that option. Mark

20. David McMillen

Rod, if you have access to a 410 bore mic, what is the bore diameter of the tubes, then run the mic down to the choke, and tell me what you find. If they are newer tubes, they should have the bore dia. engraved on the tubes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
410 loads
410 loads claybusterwads h110
410 magnum loads
410 pet loads

410 skeet loads

best 410 loads
best 410 skeet load
ww296 for 410