1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 22 LR ammo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dirk, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirk

dirk Member

Was shooting a 22 pistol today and had feed problems with Remington ammo. Reliable gun with new magazines. Any experience with 22 ammo and recommendations on what 22 LR ammo to buy?

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

dirk, 22 rf can be finicky at times.Make sure the pistol is cleaned thoroughly and properly lubed. Some times a little extra lube can be a good thing. I've seen top bullseye shooters oil their guns till it ran down your arm......lube it. If the problems are still there try a box of another brand, don't try to find the weakest power and bullet weight as that can affect a blow back pistol. If after a couple of different brands, and the problem still exists.

One thing to try after the cleaning and lubing is to only load the magazine half full and see if that helps.....sometimes it can take a 1000rd or two to get a pistol to settle down, although I've seen them taken out of the box and will win matches.....all depends.....after your confidant that its clean, lubed, and reasonably broken in, and the problem is still there, find a "GOOD" gun dr to have them look at it.

If the pistol is new I would do a very deep cleaning before you lube and fire it. Factory guns these days, can have enough junk left from manufacturing to give you fits. Mags need lubed too.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Put this in the for-what-it's-worth department.

Not too long ago, I bought a Kimber Rimfire Target conversion kit for my Kimber 1911 in .45ACP. It wouldn't function (eject and feed) more than 11% of the time with about three different kinds of .22LR ammo; all normal full-strength stuff, no "hyper" fodder. I sent the kit back to Kimber who couldn't find anything wrong with it. They did suggest using CCI MiniMag ammo.

Presto! It now works great 100% of the time!

Here's the hard to believe part - MiniMags are 36 or 40-grain copper-plated bullets at 1,260fps. I was using the ammo that is most accurate in my S&W 617 revolvers, Federal GameShok, which is a 38-grain copper-plated bullet at 1,260fps (Federal load #712). I can only assume that the Federal ammo is loaded with a slower-burning powder intended for rifle use while the CCI ammo uses a faster-burning powder that burns more completely and generates more pressure in a handgun.

Rimfires are a science all their own.

Ed

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Agulia Super Extra. Either the plated 38 grain HP or the plated 40 grain RN are very dependable. Never had one not fire, or a squib. We have been getting bricks from Midway for about $30.00 delivered.

Wayne

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I second Average Ed's suggestion.

My wife's Beretta .22 gave me fits with Remington ammo.

Upon advice I switched to the CCI ammo, and NO problems at all.

Dave in SC

6. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

Anything CCI is great, more expensive thou.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ditto on the anything CCI. My Ruger 10/22's also like the Blazer .22LR and Federal Lightning. The .22 I shoot most is my Marlin 39A. It isn't picky at all.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Try a bunch of different brands and let the pistol tell you which one it likes.

9. Trent

Trent TS Member

First, Remington 22 ammo has gotten sketchey reviews in recent years so trying a different brand may help. Also 221 is correct, if this is a new gun, the first few hundred round break-in period can be a real adventure. CCI is great ammo and seems to cycle well in anything, I use a lot of Wolfe ammo in my target guns and have been pleased with it. Each gun seems to have an ammo it likes best so you may have to try a few different ones.
    Also, try rimfirecentral.com for information. This is my favorite rimfire site, excellent signal to noise ratio........Trent

10. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

We call CCI Mini Mags gunsmithing in a box. Its all I will shoot at .22 rifle/handgun plate shoots and what everyone else is running as well. The CCI AR Tactical are also working flawlesly
    sly

G

11. rocko

rocko Member

Federal AutoMatch is the best all around .22 I have found, your mileage may vary.

12. shrek

shrek Active Member

recent experience with Remington rimfire for me has not been a positive experience either.

winchester and federal brand a mixed bag of good and bad

CCI has been good stuff, both mini mags and blazers.

13. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

First off (as a gunsmith) the use of oil and greases by the average shooter is excessive, for the most part. Remember, oils are nothing more than a slippery dust magnet and can do more harm to the gun than it does good. You should not see the lub after it has been applied, or you have applied too much. The exception here is the lubrication of hinged parts, as in a break-open firearm when grease is used...

Now as far as compatabilty goes with .22 rimfire ammunition and your gun, try as many brands and styles as you need until you find one your weapon likes. Then buy several bricks and go shooting.

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, I was shooting some mediocre 50 yard groups from my M2 sporter with a mix of ammo. The fellow on the next bench asked me to shoot a clip of his Wolf Match Target. The next five went into a rough hole. I tried five more and they went into a similar single hole. I recently found some more of the WMT and will try them in some big guns like my Mark 2 Martini or my 52B heavy barrel. The WMT is not very expensive for the performance I am expecting out of it.

15. bgf

bgf Active Member

Old Cowboy has it correct. 22lr is the most finicky of all ammos...and thus so the gun goes.

Try a bunch...you will find the right one.

Or, if you don't...sell the POS as it will never function correctly.

Bernie

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

A while back we were having problems with Remington, switched to Federal and the problems went away, I thought it was just a bad batch from Remington as we have shot thousands before with out any problems

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

ELEY!!!!!!!

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My Hammerli pistol seems to like all standard velocity ammo. It appears to be particularly fond of Aguila Match ammo, particularly Pistol.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

CCI Mini-Mags are my favorite. If your gun won't cycle these then you have other issues, probably the magazine(s).

I also have good results with the Federal copper plated bulk ammo. I won't say it is as good as the CCI stuff but I get it for about 1/2 the price of the Mini-Mags so for high volume plinking that is my go to ammo.

I have also been working on a case lot of Agula standard vel .22 ammo lately - this stuff shoots very well but doesn't run in all my semi-autos. Great for my revolvers and the lever and pump rifles.

20. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Plus 1 for Eightbore on Wolf Match Target.

WMT functions well in all of my Ruger MK II target pistols and shoots one hole groups at 50 yards out of my Ruger 77/22 Sporter and 77/22 Varmint. When I put on a Leupold 6x18 Vari X II target scope, the Ruger 77/22 Varmint often shoots 1" and under 5 shot groups at 100 yards if there is no wind.

I am told that Wolf Match .22 ammo is made by a former East German factory (Jared) that made ammo for the Soviet Olympic team. It is brass cased, sub sonic and loaded with Finnish VV powder.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal gold medal ultra match um1 volquartsen barrel

rimfire central federal 22lr ammo 712