1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best .22 ammo for old auto rifle.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just bought a pretty nice little Remington model 241. Shorts only plinker. What's the best ammo for it? There's a directive on the barrel saying " .22 cal. short - greased".

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Get ready for a shock.

I have seen shorts for as much as $8.47 for a box of 100.

I went to Walmart, just this Sunday and cheapist they were selling were Remington's for just a tad under $4.00 a hundred, but they were out.

The CCI's were the only brand they had in stock and they were priced over $8.00.

I have been to some other large sporting goods stores, but not that many have shorts in stock, and absolutely no longs.

I have a Galesi pistol that handles 22 shorts only.

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Suggest you use a standard velocity or target marked ammo. Some of the older .22 auto rifle & pistols cannot handle the faster recoil movement imparted by the high velocity ammo.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"I have been to some other large sporting goods stores, but not that many have shorts in stock, and absolutely no longs."

I believe longs have been discontinued, at least by domestic mfgs, for decades now.

5. Rick Barker

Figures, I have been out of touch with 22 rounds (other than 223) since I was a kid.

6. Barry C. Roach

Someone on the internet did a "Neil Winston" on modern and currently produced .22 short ammo and the Winchester Premium was the most consistent and the most accurate. I'll try them first and if that doesn't work the article said there are subsonic shorts that should work well. Thanks for the advice folks.

7. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I have two Remington 241 short only rifles. Both mine are gallery rifles. I have test fired them using gallery ammo and 60s vintage Remington golden bullets. I am sure they will eat any brand.

If by chance you need parts I might be able to help for short only guns.

8. Barry C. Roach

Yeah. Mines a shorts only 241. Right now I need the wedge that adjusts windage under the rear sight.

9. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have been getting my 22 ammo here. Good prices and fast service

Jim R

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/22_ammunition.html

10. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I don't have any rear site steps. All my parts are internal.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My local gunshop carries CCI 22 Longs. He has no availability problems.

22 shorts are plentiful, but not any cheaper than the regular 22lr's

ss

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a good range of ammo to try in rifles. I have about 8 or 10 diff 22 ammo. I will try all of them in the rife and let the rifle tell me what it wants. I shoot 5 shot groups at say 50' or 25 yards. I have a H+K 270 22 rifle and it likes the best the Rem 22 target ammo. Not any of the high price ammo.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You need to find some of this ammo for your Remington, This is a rare full brick of Western 22 short (HP) hollow point.
    toolmaker251_2008_030349.jpg

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

ToolMker 251, I hope you are not thinking of shooting any of that fine old ammo.

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Auctioneer, I have a extensive collection of ammunition and do not shoot it. What I do have to shoot is way over priced 22 target ammo. This is another box which is some 45-70 ammo made in 1881 noticed the copper cases have no outside primer. They have a internally primed igniter, and this is the type of ammo that helped Custer and his troops get killed. It was very common for the heads to break off and leave the case stuck in the trap door chambers.
    toolmaker251_2008_030350.jpg

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

CCI makes a target vel .22 short load that is probably just right for your rifle. I use these rounds in my M61 WINCHESTER for rabbit control around a friend's barn. Very low noise and very accurate. If those rounds don't cycle your automatic, then move up to the CCI .22 short high vel loading.

17. Rick Barker

On the Gun Parts web site:

The part number for the elevator that goes to the 241 is 87450B. and they show they are in stock.

In case they are out of stock, I don't know if this will help or not, but the rear site and elevator on the 241 look a lot like the ones on the Models 12 and121.

The part number for the 121 is 87450B.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=87450

The elevator and rear site also looks a lot like the ones used on the High Standard A-1041 Sport King Special Deluxe and its part number is 395060AM.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=395060AM&catid=0

18. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I need longs for a couple old winchesters I have. I have a high standard that takes shorts. Very accurate.0

19. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

For my Winchester Model 33 I pefer the Remington Subsonic shorts or long rifle. I too have found that the high volicity rounds don't perform as well in the older gun. When I am using it for squriels I have to shoot lead free rounds at try to find the slowest round lately it has been winchester's Tin Lead free 22LR rounds and they seem to shoot straight...

20. Barry C. Roach

Lot's of good info. Many thanks folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

22 ammo for old rifel

22 ammo for old rifle

best 22 ammmo for vinrage rifles

best 22 auto ammo

best ammo for remington 241

remington 22 cal shells in a rick mast tin