1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 22 Ammo and Price

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

What's the best 22 ammo for the buck. Looking to put scopes on the 22's and I though about using same ammo to sight them all in. Very had to get any bricks at wally world.
    Railroad

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I only shoot CCI....it costs a bit more, but it's good consistant ammo that never hangs up in my .22 semi autos. You get what you pay for.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like the federal 510 champion for a good cheap ammo. I bought 5000 on GB for $210. It groups very good for me in my JG Anschutz

4. notarget

notarget TS Member

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sarge---You seem to know alot about .22 ammo. Anybody else is welcome to answer as well. I shoot alot of CCI CB.22 longs not long rifle longs. Does anybody else make them other than CCI or is that my only choice? They are perfect for popping unwanted critters in town without alarming the neighbors.---Matt

6. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Railroad,

Every firearm is a law unto itself. You'll have to try the different ammo brands to see which one your gun "likes". Then, that'll be the best ammo for THAT particular gun, and you'll have to decide whether the ammo's price is worth the increased performance. Believe it or not, two rifles, same brand, same model, same 'scopes... one prefers Wolf Target, the other CCI Green Tags. Go figure.

Chichay

7. scorpman

scorpman Member

buy a few different brands and see what your gun likes. My Marlin 60 likes Winchester Wildcats. They USED to be the cheapest ammo around, but now they are mid-grade priced. I'm only $31, but remember the good old days of buying a 500rd brick for $8. Now it is $22 at Cabela's.

8. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

I cannot get Federals to cycle through my 10-22.... Makes me angry. Remingtons and Winchesters go through great.... Never shot CCI's...

LWL

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

AEley club in my Anschutz (Savage=Anschutz 141)...followed by S&B Club...both perform brilliantly out to our "prairie dog" targets at 130 yards. That said, take about fifteen different brands/weights to the range and shoot a few groups (no less than five shots each) at fifty yards) and see what performs best. I had a custom Ruger 10/22 that liked the Federal bulk packed hollow points over anything else.
    There is no rhyme or reason as to what any individual gun likes.

10. 3357

3357 Member

CCI Green Tag at any price.

11. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Each 22 barrel will like a certain bullet over others.

My best 50 yards groups were with
    PMC Zappers (cheap)
    Wolfe
    CCI green tag
    WW white box bulk

I tried Eley and it did not shoot tighter than PMC and Wolfe. Cost a lot more.

Buy some of eaqch type and size your groups.

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've had excellent results with Aguila sub-sonic ammo, both 38 HP and 40 solids. Very accurate in all my .22s, and quiet enough not to bother neighbors when eliminating pests.

Aguila also has very good high velocity ammo that functions flawlessly in my 10/22s with match chambers, and is extremely accurate to boot!

Other ammo that has worked well for me is Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match, and their much cheaper 510. CCI Mini-Mags are very good as well.

AndyH ;-)

13. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Shooting a .22 is a delighful break from rifles and shotguns. As others have stated, get as many brands as you can afford and try them all. Don't limit yourself to long rifle standard velocity rounds though, try other types such as subsonic, CB, shorts (you can get a target .22 Short). I don't .22 target shoot but I acquired an old Winchester M69 entry-level target rifle and wondered what it do. Well, what it did was stun me. That little rifle is amazing. At 25 yards it will place many brands, 5 shot groups, into one hole. I got so fascinated with seeing how well it would shoot that I now have 51 different types and makes of .22 ammuntion. The best for my rifle so far is Lapua Center-X but only by a close, very close margin over RWS/Sinoxid R50, Eley Tenex and Fiocchi Biathlon Super Match and, get this, Federal Gold Medal Match which hangs right in there with the foregoing.

The M69 has a 4X scope on it and I use it for squirrel hunting using subsonic and CB rounds These are more than powerful enough and accurate enough to drop a hairy tree rat at 50-60 yards and the very, very low noise they make doesn't spook the other squirrels as the high velocity rounds do.

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I'm with Sarge and another poster who both like Wolf. I was having a struggle with my Springfield sporter one day at the range, shooting one to two inch groups at 50 yards with mixed ammo. I just couldn't get the groups any smaller. The fellow at the next bench asked me to try some of the Wolf Match that he was shooting. I shot a group with those into one ragged hole. I can't remember which "match" variation the Wolf ammo was, but I will try more when I can find it. How many types of Wolf match ammo are there? I don't think this was particularly expensive ammo.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My Kimber likes Federal Gold medal Match, Wolf, and CCI standard velocity. I tried some of the other pricey stuff, and it was ho-hum.

CCI fast stuff is crap. (But all .22's are different)

HM

16. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My Ruger .22 LR 77/22 Varmint really likes the Wolf Match Target. It shoots into a single hole at 50 yards and often under 1" at 100 yards, depending on the wind.

Wolf used to be under $30 per 500 round brick but it is now much higher. I am glad that I bought a couple of 5000 round cases a few years ago.

The Federal standard velocity of about 10 years ago (710B) was very good but I think that it has changed a little. The new Federals (714) are packed like the older Federals and shoot good at 50 yards but are not as good as the Wolf Match Target at 100. I bought 10 bricks when Dick's had them on sale (2 for 1) about 5 years ago. They averaged out at about $10 per brick.

I have shot some of the high end ammo but, to me, nothing shoots as consistently as the Wolf.

I am told that the Wolf ammo is loaded on the same machinery in Germany (formerly East Germany) as the ammo for the Soviet Olympic shooters.

I have found that many .22's have a preference for a particular brand of ammo and that expensive ammo does not ensure accuracy.

A match chamber might prefer match ammo but a run of the mill Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 might do better with Winchester, Remington, CCI, or other brand.

Watch for .22 ammo on sale and load up when the price is good.

Ed Ward

17. #1ROCK

#1ROCK TS Member

Railroad

I have been getting some from Academy sports&outdoors rem 22LR in bricks of 525 for 16.99 they get them in on wensday you have to be there around 9:00 in the morning last saterday they had Fed for 12.98 of 500 brick hope this helps

The ROCK

18. wm rike

wm rike Member

Several posters have said you have to match the ammo to the gun, and I have to stand behind them one hundred percent.

In my smallbore era I tested some supposedly top-drawer stuff that had a hard time holding 3 inch groups. There was the case I bought (becasue it grouped so well), only to find out later that the muzzle velocity varied +/- 75 fps. I'm still puzzled by that. Then there is the the case of Aquila hollowpoints, bought cheap, that work to about 1". You never know.

Really good stuff in a really good rifle will go 1/2". Every production run is different, so pay attention to lot numbers. You have to buy single boxes, test them side by side at the range, look for the stand-out, and then run back buy all of that particular lot you can afford. Eley is as close to a sure bet as you can get, but there are probably other brands and lots out there that will answer your need.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The final point of anality is the lot number, and then sort by rim thickness, using the culls for practice.

But it works. I just saw on another forum a guy selling 80 boxes of Eley for ten bucks a box, had the lot number listed.

HM

20. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Wally world often carries Federal Match 22 in bulk for about 11.00 per 360. They are 40 grain bullets that are as accurate as I've found. Every gun is different and often finicky in what it will re-cycle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pmc zappers 22 collectible ammo