1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 16 yard choke for 12 ga. #8 / 34" 101 win

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sero, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sero

Sero Member

Best 16 yard choke for 12 ga. #8 / 34

TWO QUESTIONS: AFTER GETTING BACK INTO TRAP AFTER 40+ YEARS AWAY:
    (1) I shoot a Win. 101 34" diamond grade and generally for know shoot at 16 yards.
    I use Win AA 2 3/4 dram / 1 1/8 oz.#8's.
    I'm average or bit quicker getting on the bird. My question is this, what is the most suggested choke for the above conditions? I'm currently scoring mid 90's with Bryley IC tube.
    I'm told that because I do not have enough registered birds yet I will be shooting H/C at 23 yards, will this change my choke tube needs?
    (2) I also hope to start shooting double this week with my 32" 101 which has a fixed Full choke and the other is Win choke. What tube will best my early intro shooting doubles and should I change loads for doubles.
    Thanks
    John Sero

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like a full or tight IM for both singles and handicap. I use a modified/full for doubles.

Careful analysis of patterns will show that the effective pattern size is about the same in a full choke and a modified choke. There are more shot around the pattern fringe with a modified choke and these shot come from the pattern center.

Pat Ireland

3. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

wjf100st posted....."More important than the choke is be on the target when you shoot. Don't depend on the choke to break the target".

My thoughts exactly. That being said, I use a full (factory Winchoke flush mount) in my Diamond top single for both 16's and caps.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If your paying attention to above answers by Pat, and 101 they are the ones steering you in the right direction. An Imp Cyl that your shooting now will have enough holes in the pattern that one can never be sure what really caused the miss.

Put a full tube in and stop concerning yourself over the dramatics of choke analysis and pay attention to target focus. You'll then be on your way to more satisfying results...

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have grown to love my briely spectrum IM

6. Sero

Sero Member

wHAT'S A 366 hORNADY LOADER WORTH THAT IS BRAND NEW (NOT OLD) AND IN THE BOX READY TO LOAD?
    Thanks
    John Seroczynski

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, as for chokes go, like was told to you this winter go to the patterning board. I say light mod. to mod for 16 yard targets. Try mod. to IMod. for your 23 yard targets and pattern them. Try a pattern at 32-35 yards for 16 yard targets and add seven yards(16-23) for your handicap yard patterns 39-42 yards for handicap. Unless real cold #8 will work best from both yardages.Try your 2 &3/4 dram powder loads from 16 yards, and first shoot of doubles. Try your walmart 3dram loads from your handicap yardage and for second shoot of doubles.These loads should keep your leads very close to the same at the different yardages. Oh, Yeh on chokes for doubles, use your I/C for first shot, and your factory full for the second shot and your good to go(try to shot 1st shot fast). Hope this helps you out a bit.Oh, Yeh, hows the recoil on that l0l??? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- With no intended disrespect, I disagree with everything you posted above.

Pat Ireland

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

There are two thinks they don't make tight enough and one of them is a choke. Not sure what the other one is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.