1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 12g reloader? Simple to use for Kids!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Higbee, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Higbee

Higbee TS Member

What is the best and easiest reloader for kids to use?

2. ks-trap-shooter

ks-trap-shooter TS Member

When I was about 11, I started using a Lee Loader in a extra bedroom at my house. After about 6 months of shot and powder all over the hardwood floor, my mother sent me to the dungy basement to reload. The only problem is, those damn loads would not cycle in a lot of guns due to the lee loader not resizing the hulls. I dont know the features of the Lee now a days, but I think the LEE LOAD ALL was a safe machine. A mec JR. would probably be the best depending on your childs age.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I would recommend a single stage MEC Size master with close adult supervision. I would supervise selection of all components and set up of the press.

A child shooting shells that are not properly resized is IMO dangerous as it may affect their gun control when they struggle to load or unload a shell.

Our daughter used to hand me wads when she was about 12 but she never loaded by herself.

She shot a .410 bore I got her about 100-200 times but never really got interested in shooting or hunting. She would eat any game or fish I brought home and really liked quail and deer meat.

I started with a Lee loader when I was 13 or 14 and then graduated to a Lee Load All. I would not recommend a Load All to anyone as it does not resize a hull. I still have a MEC Size master and use a MEC Grabber. They will never wear out.

In today's "politically correct" legal environment, you have to be very careful what you allow your children to do around firearms or ammunition.

Silly as it may seem, IMO cutting the grass and putting gasoline in a mower is probably more dangerous than loading shot shells.

Ed Ward

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Ed, the Lee Load All 2 does resize.And I'm thinking you could use the resizing bushing on an old Load All.It was my 1st loader and I still use it now and then for specialty shells.Pretty slow....but almost fool proof.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

dkusner"

I have not seen the new Lee Load All and I am glad to see that it now resizes. I really liked the multiple bushings provided by Lee. I made mine work by reloading only hulls that I fired from my 870. When my wife got an 1100 TB, I had to keep the hulls separate by gun.

When I got my MEC Size Master, in 1977 or so, it had just come out and was wonderful. I got into ATA a few years later and bought a MEC Grabber.

The MEC's did a wonderful job on Federal Papers.

I am still using the Grabber and keep the Size Master around as a back-up.

Ed Ward

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If the kid is smart a 650 or 8567 is great you can load just one shell at a time powder and shot drops when shell is located at right index, trust me when it comes to kids and reloading everytime you take your eyes of them they will spill shot forget the wad ect ect. Most loaders are pretty easy to use once set up.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Define "kids"

How intelligent they are, do they really want to reload, are they ADD, are they going to listen to their IPOD or text message or have their cell phone on them etc etc

You know your kids - we do not.

There are "adults" who should not be reloading.

It appears you do not reload - that is a huge negative. If you reload, what machine do you use and how do they handle it?

If you do not reload, try and find someone who has used many machines and has two or three set up and ask for help/advice/training/tryout on his equipment.

Don

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had a Lee Load All II and wasn't the re-sizer was a steel ring slipped over a shell?! I don't know that is too foolproof for newbies.

But I used one for about a year until I went progressive. As was said easy to use, all the bushings are provided - right price!

Jay

9. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

I would recommend a Mec single stage with the grabber resizer. If you are shooting a bunch, mec or pacific progressive.

As for kids, I was brought up if I wanted to shoot, I had to load. Now, I was 13 or 14 but I learned to use my 366 much faster than my father. He would focus on one thing and constantly forget primers, spill shot and powder. So, I went out and started loading when he went to work and couldn't bitch at me and I had 500 loaded shells ready when he got home. Then, all he could complain about was how fast I was going because he couldn't keep up putting wads in the holder. :cool:)

todd

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

It seems when I had purchased both grabber and 9000G from MEC, they pretty much loaded a great AA or STS/Nitro right out of the box. Just determine 1 oz or 1-1/8, put in the right bushing for your powder drop, use the correct wad, and start her up. Best bang for buck I think.

I love my 800+, and if Spolar had a hull feeder, probably would have one of those. Both require more fiddling I think. But bang for the buck and easiest to use might be the Mec.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too started on a 600 jr. when I was 12 years old. It is the prefect loader to start your loading with, no matter if you are a child or a adult. When its time to upgrade to a progressive reloader (your know when) you will still be able to use the jr. as a back up or sell off if need be. I used to load 200-300 shells a week for my father and myself to shoot. I have never had a bad shell come out of that machine!!! You know when your loading if you get into a problem, and it gets fixed before you even box it up. Good Luck and break-em all. Jeff

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

all mec 650 8567 9000 can be used a a single stage loader. The gentleman who taught me used a 9000 to teach me. disconnected the auto index function and the auto prime drop. Had me load one shell at a time. place shell in deprime station, pull place primer rotate shell, pull powder drops, rotate install wad pull shot drops. now the charge bar locks in place turn to precrimp pull turn to final crimp pull turn to finish die pull turn and remove. I think the 650 or progressives loading one shell at a time is much easier than the shell dance of the 600. Mind you I have 600s. I got them cheap. I have them set up for loads I do not shoot a lot of. I loaded about 1500 shells on my teachers loader then when I got a 650. He helped me set it up and go through the single shell method until I was doing well and the kinks worked out. The big thing is being there for them to get them through the problems. I taught 2 kids at the club how to reload. One kid was very mechanically inclined other not so much. The 2nd kid though would not hesitate to stop if he had a problem. EYES are the key also no distractions. A isolated loading room is good. For the price you can get a 6oojr they are great to start. I lucked out and got a 650 for 50.00 love it. 9000 is nice but over kill for me. I reload on rainy days when I would be shooting so fast is not a priority

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There are "adults" who should not be reloading. I agree with Don!!! This all depends on the kid. I am in the Mec Sizemaster camp. It is a single stage but has a great sizer. Buy it used on E-Bay and you will always be able to get what you paid out of it. When you are ready to step up to a Grabber or a 9000g there are always guys on here who have one for sale. Kids shouldn't be loading by themselves until the adult is sure the kid can do it. Jeff

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I personally wouldnt let any kids reload with out a watchful eye, until they are 18 buy their own stuff and have their own liability insurance. Any way. Its fun I like to reload and if you are still allowed to own guns a reload when my kid is old enough to start shooting I will teach them, but a fear this will be a all but dead in 10 to 12 years.

15. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I purchased a Lee Load All II here several monthe ago. Loaded over 750 shells on it when my friend gave me a nice Mec Jr. for some work I did for him. I put the Load All away for a short period of time when my Grand Daughter decided she wanted to go with me to shoot Trap. I took her and showed her around and let her shoot a couple rounds. I knew the rounds were quite heavy as they were loaded for Handycap. And I was shooting my 870 at the time which is known for a little kick back. She liked it except for the kick. I showed her the Load All and sat down with her to get a run started and turned it over to her. She says the Mec is a monster. She loves loading on the Load All. Not only that but it does come with a sizer bushing and it is capable of loading steel shot without any cnanging any part of it. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

16. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I absolutely agree that most kids should not be reloading unsupervised. As for ease, my Dad had a Ponsness Warren 800B, and we always helped him reload shells in preparation for Saturday night shooting at the club. I now have my own 800 Plus.

Kids are very smart these days... must be the computer influence. Progressives are easy when you break it down into step. Cut open a shell and explain each step of the reloading process in order. I really don't think it will be a matter of them not understanding how the machine works but rather how to fix any hiccups that may happen during normal reloading. That's where the supervision comes into play. It's not a trust issue... it's a training issue.

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Reloading%20Room/?action=view&current=802ff87a.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Brandon at 7 years old reloading with a MEC Sizemaster 20 gauge.3 years ago. He was shooting a 1100 LT20 at the time and is now shooting a 390 12 gauge.
    I got yelled at on this forum for not having him ware safety glasses, so make sure your kids ware them.

Got rid of the reloader when Brandon moved to a 12 gauge and I reload everything now.

Jerbear

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My 8 year old daughter likes to hang out with me when I am loading shells. Her job is to take the loaded shell off the turret and put it in a box. This really is quality time for us. Interestingly enough, she has learned all the steps in loading the shell by watching the shell go though all the stations. In all reality, I wouldn't think of putting her in the driver's seat for at least five more years. So the best loader for a kid is the one the adult is operating. A properly trained young adult can operate the same machine later on. It is really not child's play.

19. tcenfarms

tcenfarms TS Member

i am 11 i have a Mec 9000 g.
    i sugest a Mec jr. you can always buy anew one i know older shooter that use a Mec Jr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.