1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 10 gauge semiauto ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Know where there is a used example in excellent shape of the Ithaca Mag 10, Remington SP-10, and Browning Gold 10 gauge semiautos all for sale.

Again, all three are in excellent condition.

Which one would you recommend as the most reliable and best shooting ?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I owned a Mag 10 Supreme many years ago, cannot say I miss it. It was very heavy. I used it for Goose but switched to a Benelli 3 1/2 inch Black Eagle, never looked back

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have a 10ga Browning Gold with a wood stock. Two boxes of shells have gone through it. 98% Premo. $1500.00. Plus shipping.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I loved my SP-10. It never missed a beat. It was kind of heavy, but you could shoot it all day with no ill result from recoil.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've got a Mag 10 I have always heard that the SP 10 was better but I haven't had any problems with mine

But the Remington and Brownings will probably be easier to find parts for if you ever need them

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My concern with the Ithaca would be availability of repair parts.

Remington has discontinued the SP10, but at least they still have parts for it.

My understanding is few parts if any interchange between the Mag-10 and the SP-10.

The only Mag-10 I'd be interested in strictly from a collector viewpoint would be the Roadblocker, which was designed for law enforcement.

[​IMG]

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have owned all 3 and the best patterns I ever got with factory chokes was with the Browning. the Ithaca is out of the question for a number reasons I will not get into.

I like the SP-10 with the 26 inch barrel the best although I have owned and huntd with the 30 inch, 24 inch and the rifle site slug barrel that is 22 inches long.

The browning is just not as nimble in my hands as my SP-10. I shoot 1 1/2 of T's for everything from ducks to geese out of hide a blinds to pass shooting.

That load in an sp-10 kicks like a trap load.

There is not a 3 1/2 inch 12ga gun on the planet that can keep up with my 10ga guns. If there was, I wouldn't own the 10ga.

lets say that it could just for fun.... The recoil of a max load 3 1/2 inch shell in a 12ga is like being in a small car accident while the recoil of the sp-10 is next to nothing.

Think about it... You are shooting a 1 1/2 load ( the old lead baby magnum load in a 12 ga 2 3/4) in a 10 pound gun that is gas operated. The gun is literally like shooting trap doubles with those 1 1/2 handloads of mine and they go 1400 FPS.

The browning is a little easier to clean. The Remington's I have owned have never failed me in anyway.

The Browning is the only gun still being made, that said Remington has all the parts you would ever need.

Get yourself a 26 or 28 inch SP-10 and a 10ga reloading press and have at it!

p.S max load steel 12ga 3 1/2 inch shells are also harder to reload as the components often do not want to fit the case.

The 10ga shells just fall togather because there is plenty of room.

The 30 inch barrels swing like sewer pipes. If you buy one I think you will be dissapointed. That goes for the Browning and the Remington.

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Have SP-10 and love it. Shot lot of Geese in Canada and South Dakota with it.
    Just keeps on tickin.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Dean I shot a 10 double barrel once that was all I ever needed, my Mag 10 doesn't kick that bad, the action takes up a lot of the recoil

I know they say that parts from a Mag 10 and an SP 10, but they sure look a lot alike

10. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Someone above mentioned about the 10 ga compared to the 12 ga 31/2". Your right there is no comparison. I own a browning mag 10 also and it quite a machine. My son had a browning gold 31/2" and we stood side by side in North Dakota and the mag 10 out shot him 10 to 1. Its because of the bore diameter. Its the same as years ago the 20 ga 3" came out and boy that was the hot one. WEll the volumes and velocities are identical the standard 12 with the 11/4oz of shot which the 20ga 3" is will out perform it all of the time. The 12ga 31/2" and the mag 10 the volumes and velocities are indentical but the 12 ga can never compete with the 10ga. alex Kotter

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That is aboput teh size of it. I think it must be the bore as that is the only logical explanation. the Mossburg Ulti-mag 3 1/2 inch 12ga has a 10ga barrel and a 12ga chamber.

They are by far the best patterning 12 ga 3 1/2 inch gun I have seen and with c ertain loads tend to crowd the 10ga but just crowd it.. It will not equal it and the cost is ungodly recoil. Jeff

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hmmm, it could be the bore diameter, because the Mossberg 835 3.5" 12ga has a bore diameter of .775", which actually exceeds some 10ga guns with a .770 bore diameter. It definitely exceeds the .727" bore dia of the 870 Supermag, and is a bit more comfortable to shoot.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Brownins come in two different receivers- steel and aluminum

The steel are harder to find

I have shot all three mentioned and really I think the Browning swings better than any of them and is pretty bulltet proof.

I do have a Browning stalker steel that is a back up and I would sell it for $1577

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have the SP-10 and its a great gun. I have heard that the Mag 10 does have a number of problems that Rem took care of with the SP-10. I have not had a problem at all with the SP-10. Its a great gun to shoot and the recoil is well within reason.

A little story about 10 ga. A friend use to take people out to duck hunt. The guy he took out had a 10ga SXS and he had gloves on. He told the guy to take off his gloves each time the ducks came in. Well one time the geese started to come in and he didn't watch the guy. Well he got so excited he kept the gloves on. The gun had double triggers and he stuck two fingers in the trigger gaurd with gloves on. Well when the geese came in and he stood up and pulled the first trigger he with gloves on pulled the second trigger. Both barrels went off and he and the gun went flying out of the boat through the blind and in the water. My friend went to where he went through and asked if he was alright. All he said was DID I GET HIM? My friend smiled and said yes you did with both barrels. The guy was wet but happy as hell. LOL

Go with the SP-10 because its a better gun and parts will be easier to get. Let us know what you buy.

15. 35redfox

35redfox TS Member

ihave a mag 10 for sale that has been a great gun for me. I have plenty of spare parts for anything you might need.contact me and i will give you my phone no.

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you are a "decent" shooter...

If you know "how to hunt waterfowl"....

If you know "how to manage decoys"....

If you are familiar with the meaning of "concealment"...

Then all you'll need is a 2-3/4" #4 shot of Hevi-Shot (or equivalent) to harvest geese and big ducks. No need to waste money on a 10 ga...that's for the Pilgrims & Bunny Buster's.

Curt

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

But Curt.... Some of us do not have your skill and must shoot them on the edge. Jeff

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bat Crap...

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My sp-10 was death on high flying geese and mallards. Pass shooting these birds was our only way of getting shooting on a regular basis. We used number one steel for mallards and small geese. BB's and BBB's for Canada's. God I wish those days would return!!

20. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I have owned only 1 10G and it was an sp10 with 26 inch barrel. I didn't weigh 130lbs when I had that gun but I could shoot it all day long. Recoil with that gun isn't really recoil, I would describe it as a long slow push. My only issue with that gun was that I could hear the metal and the spring in the stock rusting while sitting in a blind. I have no idea what that was about but you tore that down ASAP after shooting or that stock assembly would rust. I wish I still had it, however it paid for a semester of college.

I have shot pump 10ga gun, after shooting that 1 time I would not touch that gun again, that just plain hurt.

Slugs are a hoot out of an sp10. That chunk of lead you can watch go downrange after pulling the trigger. Well I could see it in my younger years, probably not so much anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
10 gauge shotgun forum
best semi auto 10 gauge
browning gold 10 gauge vs remington sp-10
browning gold light 10 vs remington sp10

ithaca 10 gauge reviews

remington sp 10 for sale canada
remington sp 10 vs browning gold 10

remington sp10 review