1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 1 Oz Wad for Top Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Orange XXL is a good wad; Claybuster 6100 is good, and I like the CB 12S0 clone and have never had loading issues with it in any misc Eurotrash hulls.

Bob

2. Borderland

Borderland Member

If you are loading with a MEC, perhaps the final station that rounds the top of the shell is too low. I reload the walmart federals w/19.1 gr of Clay dot and use the claybuster clone federal 1 oz wad. I load for an autoloader and have the final rounding station very low and it might buckle 1 shell out of 100.

3. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I am doing the same thing you are with the top gun hulls. I'm loading 17.8grs of promo and I'm using Down Range's So wad and I LOVE the Load!!
    The Orange XX wad works fine in a regular Federal hull but I found it was way to tall in the Top Guns and you had to crush it when you crimped to get it to work.

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

+1 to what borderland said

This happened to me also but with my gun clubs.

It's when the final crimp is pressing down the hull has the most form so instead of a wad not going in, or a weird crimp happening it will buckle from too much downward force.

I just raised the final crimp up like 1 turn. I was also told the wad pressure can cause it but the final crimp seemed like a less aggravating fix

5. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I use the Claybuster pink AA12SL clone with 20gr. of American Select and it works great.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've seen the Federal wads hang up on the transition from the outer hull to the inner bottom plate. That little line loves to catch the Federal wads - worse than with any other style (I see it with the C B wads too). It leaves the wad too high and sets you up for crushing the hull a bit.

I'm not sure if more wad pressure would solve it (the wad may just crush a bit and then spring back up), but you need to be sure the wad gets set all the way down onto the powder.

I've found Remington wads to be the most forgiving.

I use about 16.5 grns of Promo...

7. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

hi, i reload top gun hulls (grabber) and had experienced the same problem. if you watch station #5(closing station) and find thats the problem station, loosen the nut and use a long shank screwdriver to turn counterclockwise 1/2 turn at a time- it wont take much. also the DR orange are great in the G/M plastic but not so much in the top gun- any of the SO's work well in this hull. good luck, dennis

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Claybuster Red Eight with a bulky powder. Perfect crimps.

9. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Downrange XL1, 18 gr. Red Dot or Promo. Hard to beat! Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Any of the 12SO clones seem to work pretty well. The AA12SL is ok with coarse powders,but, tend to let some trickle by with condensed powders

11. fishguts

fishguts Member

Claybuster 12S0 wad in a top gun hull....if the case is buckeling the loader needs adjustment, usually going up with the crimping stations.

Wayne

12. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I found recently that the CB-4100 Claybuster clone of the Windjammer Lightening works great with 17/18 gr. of Red Dot.

13. peavine

peavine TS Member

I've loaded a bunch with the 12s0 clone and the claybuster one ounce(that looks like a AA wad) for straight wall hulls with little to no problems. I settled on 17 grains of clay dot because 18 felt like too much of a waste. Jonathan Taylor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.