1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST 1-1/8 OZ. WADS ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

When it comes to reloading Remington STS and Winchester AA 1-1/8 oz. loads with Clays or Claydot Powder, what do think the best WAD for the money is?

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Rem Figure 8 in an STS and a AA White in a AA. Factory originals. Not clones.

Jeff

3. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Downrange Versalite wad in either hull with either powder just look for load data to support that combo. I use the versalite exclusively in the STS/Nitro 27 hull and I really like the combination. All the best.

J.F.

4. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Figure 8's. No replica junk.

5. dflo

dflo Member

I give another vote for Verslite's I use them in Papers, plastics, Win, and Remington hulls.

Dale

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Remington Fig 8 or any of its generic twins.

7. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'm a little partial to the GOLD DRA-12 Win clones.

Kevin from Downrange recommended I try them and I get a perfect crimp and nice pattern with these wads.

Also have used the DR Fig 8 clones with good success. I have heard others speak highly of the Versalites.

SW

8. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Why even use that generic junk ,use O.E.M.

Sandy Holehouse.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I like the Win. AA Clones for my loads. Only way to get better might be the original from Winchester. I use them in both the STS or Win. AA's. Most copied wad in the world. There must be a reason for that!!! Break-em all. Jeff

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'm with the majority......Factory wads in their respective cases. If your budget is that close just skip a night or two of shooting to keep it original.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The best wad for MY money for a 11/8oz. load in just about any hull has to be the Versalite wad from Downrange. Buying factory wads just doesn't make any real sense to me since you can buy Downrange clones for a LOT less money and they will perform every bit as well as a factory wad will. No one, to my knowledge, has ever come on here with proof that any one wad performs, or patterns better, than any other wad does. I prefer the Versalite because I can use it in both a tapered wall and a straight wall hull, thereby eliminating the need for two or three different wads.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

For Longer range.. The DR Versalite has been outstanding.. The XL-1 in a Federal hull can do the rest..

13. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Why use generic stuff? What a question when the DownRange "stuff" is better than the OEM's.....and cheaper too. I'm a versalite fan but have used the DR figure 8's and found lower pressures and higher velocities as well as ease of reloading. Forget the OEM's. Test them yourself and you'll see or call Kevin at Downrange re: testing. I love the Versalites but am leaning toward using more of the Spolar wads.......also made by Downrange.

14. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Why use generic stuff? What a question when the DownRange "stuff" is better than the OEM's.....and cheaper too. I'm a versalite fan but have used the DR figure 8's and found lower pressures and higher velocities as well as ease of reloading. Forget the OEM's. Test them yourself and you'll see or call Kevin at Downrange re: testing. I love the Versalites but am leaning toward using more of the Spolar wads.......also made by Downrange.

15. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

16. 686

686 TS Member

blue dusters, hands down

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would use a wad that is specifically designed for the hull you are loading. If you are loading AA hulls, use either the factory AA wad or a clone of that wad. I have never been able to distinguish between the factory wads and clones of those wads from analyzing patterns or testing over a chronograph.

Pat Ireland

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

use the wad that works with your components and what you get at the pattern board, it is really that simple.

Gary Bryant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 1 ounce wad

best fig 8 wads

best wad for trap