1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Berretta UGB25 Xcel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moore5833, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Anyone shot one of these guns? or seen one in real life? Looked like a good doubles gun until i saw the price tag(3500.00) or more.

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Saw a like new used one at the shop. Has been there awhile. Seems to be one of those things that you really must have it or feel it's the gun for you. I'm somewhat of a Beretta fan but, that doesn't do anything for me.

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

They are bulky, clumsy-feeling, and BUTT UGLY! Never shot one though.......and most likely never will! Can't imagine why Beretta even made it! JMHO.

AndyH :-/

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have a brand new in box never fire Browning Recoilless I got in a death situation. It's a close race for butt ugly between those two. But, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So they say.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Spanky, if you are interested in selling that Browning--please PM, me

Phil Berkowitz

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but trap scores aren't. And the UGB shoots very, very well, particularly for left handers (like me). Yes, it's a little (not a lot) unconventional, but it sure does break targets. I shot two 24's today with mine - in fact, I had a 48 straight - I missed the first bird of the first set and the last bird of the second set, both in a lot of wind.

The first time you shoot a UGB you hear a lot of mechanical noise and wonder what's going on in there. But you very quickly get used to that, particularly when you start hitting targets dead center and really smoking them. For reasons I don't understand, when you center a target with a UGB it really decimates the bird. Other UGB shooters have noted this same result - sometimes the bird is hit so hard there isn't even any smoke -it's just gone.

It's not a hard gun to shoot, and it's an easy gun to get to like. Judging it by its looks is a little silly, particularly if you've never shot one. As someone once said on this forum, "Do you want to look good or shoot good?" A UGB shoots real good, if you'll pardon the fractured English. And in my opinion, it doesn't look so bad, either.

Ted K.

7. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Tony at archertrapsupply@centurytel has one for sale.

8. Cornacree

Cornacree TS Member

Hi Lads,
    I have shot the new sporting UGB modle(Non adjustable sporting stock) on three occasions. The first time I shot it(100 Sporting targets) surprised me. I went home and though about it and raised a few question in my head. So I shot it again to try to answer them. And believe it of not I went back and shot it a third time. My findings were as follows. The trigger nipped my finger against the triggerguard as the lenght of pull was too short(needs a thicker pad for me). The gun does kick quite abit probably because there is no recoil reducer on the sporting modle. The chunky forend is easy to get used to. The break open and loading does take a bit of getting used to. On my third go with the gun I didnt even notice what i was doing, one in the chamber and one in the side, you get used to it very fast. I found the gun very pointable and it smashed all the sporting targets easilly with a mod choke. Anything target that was missed was because of driver error. When you start breaking the targets the kick and trigger nipping dissappear altogether as you get a feeling that this is a good gun. The gun is responsive on fast targets and I had no problem smashing a 50 yard full crossing tower bird where you need a bit more control and balance. I shoot sporting/fitasc predominantly but decided to try it on Olympic trench for the fun. I dispatched 18/25 targets which is very good for me. This is quite a lenghty response but i myself was finding it hard to find real articles about the gun and hope that this response is of use to others. Oh most importnantly I shot 325 cartridges over the three occasions I shot the ugb and there was not one single malfunction and god only knows where the spent cases ended up. I fear the poor grounds man at my local club knows(Sorry).

Kind Regards

9. Andy Man

Andy Man TS Member

I had the pleasure of shooting the UGB in July at Hudson Farms in Andover, NJ. The demo was courtesy of Griffin and Howe, a well respected dealer from Bedminister, NJ.

The gun performed very well. It is well balanced, fine fitting and easy to load. It did a few rounds to get used to the latch on the left side, but after awhile it was cake.

I also handled the gun in August in New York City at The Beretta Gallery. They must have over 100 guns on display. The UGB again felt very well balanced and I really liked it.

It is currently on my Bucket List.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Must be an East coast gun.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shot one a few weeks ago. Very little recoil or barrel bounce. However not good for reloaders with the bottom ejection.

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I shot one @ the grand last year. Had a 24 with it w/ 1 1/8oz #9 shot (just what I happened to have in the car). All in all, I was pretty impressed. Didn't fit me at all, but it just seemed to move naturally to the target. If I was in the market for a trap gun, i'd consider one. As noted before, I dunno what choke was in the gun, but with the loads I was shooting it absolutely obliterated targets.

13. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Can a release trigger from an AL-391 be used in a UGB??

FRedmon

14. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have shot one and thought I could get used to it if I really wanted one. But if I was going to spend that much money on a semi auto, I'd have Dennis Devault do a conversion on a 391. You'd have a proven design and an outstanding looking gun. Take a look at the sporting clays gun he built that is on another thread. No one knows if the UGB design is going to hold up and if it doesn't resale is going down the toilet. I wish Beretta well on this venture but I've never quite figured out what its supposed to do that a 391 won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta ugb25 xcel trap reviews

can you open the beretta ugb 25excel with a shell in the chamber

ugb25 why trapshooters