1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Berreta Recoil spring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gvsteveMD, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gvsteveMD

gvsteveMD TS Member

I'm about to change the recoil spring in my well used Berreta AL390 sporting. Is there anything I should know before I start?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

it is an easy chore. I always buy the Magnum springs. Be careful when you punch the bar out that holds the spring in. It is gonna fly

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Steve,

I'm not sure which "bar" Cigar is talking about. The recoil spring is held in the tube by a threaded plug. You may need to heat the plug a little to loosen the Locktite that they use on the threads.

Once the plug starts turning, you have about 5 or 6 full turns before it is out, so be careful (as Cigar said) that the spring doesn't fly out and hit you in the eye.

Once you have the old one out, it's a simple procedure to clean and oil the tube and replace the old spring with a new one. BTW, Cole sells these recoil springs. I don't know if they are "Magnum" or not, but they should last about 8,000 rounds of moderate target ammo.

Easystreet

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Coles springs are magnum. The 303 may be different as it is held in the tube by a cross pin

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

the 303 is not the same as the 390 or the 391. make sure to get the proper one. clean the inside of the tube and put some lube on the spring. do not run it dry motordoc

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I find it very difficult to install the new spring with just my fingers especially when it is coated with moly grease (if the spring is installed dry it will make some noise as the action cycles). My solution is to find a piece of tubing that will just fit over the spring housing to guide the spring into the housing. The tubing will slide down over the outside of the mainspring housing as the spring is fed into the housing. After you get the spring in the housing and start the plug for a couple of threads clean the threads with Gunscrubber and apply some LocTite (I use red 272). The stock retaining nut threads onto the other end of the plug and the last thing you want is the plug comming out the next time you remove the stock - SURPRISE!!

Jim Skeel

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I guess I should have mentioned that it's easier to do this job when you put the receiver in a padded vise.

Easystreet

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Beretta sells the springs for half the price as Coles....

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

be careful with the 272 red loctite. I perfer 242 or the blue. it works just as good and is easier to remove when you have to change the spring again motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.