1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta's Automatics for Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Beretta

Within this discussion site we often compare products. I am torn between a new Beretta A400 Xcel parallel target, and the AL391 tekneys gold....or maybe some other automatic for trap. Constructive input is welcomed....

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I know nothing about the two models you mention at all. I have won lots of trophies at the local, state level and the Grand with a Beretta 303 though. It's now my back-up gun.

Hap

3. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Check out the Fabarm XLR5 Velocity. Now handled by Guerini USA.
    Helluva gun.

4. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I am shooting a tekyn gold trap and it is an easy gun to shoot and scores are above average. I have a bad shoulder and the 391 is an soft shooter with weight in stock. jim w.

5. ring3

ring3 Member

I shoot a 391 Parellel Target for trap and love it. Has shot around 15000 rounds without any problems.

Rob

6. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

You can take a parallel target from the trap range to the field and shoot both clays and tasty upland game with the gun. It cycles everything and is of course a soft shooter.

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

The A400 must be relatively new on the Trap scene. What sets the 391 Teknys Gold apart from other 391's???

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Having shot them all from AL-2 to 391Ts, I prefer the 303 for pointability and ease of shooting.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you settle on the Beretta 391 Gold Teknys I've got a Sporting (good for both) like new in the box for a great price!!

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have several Automatic Beretta's, all great guns, but after shootig the new Fabarms XLR5 a fully featured trap gun, I would say the XLR5 points better has lower felt recoil than any of my Beretta's. I would definitely check this gun out before commiting to any other brand. Shootgun Sports magazine did a nice review on this gun, I'm sure a google search will turn up additional test reports.

Surfer

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have been shooting the 391 Tekneys Gold Trap for 7 years now and no complaints. My wife uses a AL391 custom fitted for 6 years. I have several other 391's for sporting, dove hunting and quail.

The differance between the 391 and the Teckneys:Standard with the teckneys is an adjustable comb, recoil reducer in stock, interchangable ribs, optima chokes, forcing cone, extra extra nice wood, jeweled action, low felt recoil and they hold their value. Easy to adjust cast and pitch with the shims that come with a 391.

If you are going to shoot a lot of Doubles be sure and get a 390 carrier installed, the standard carrier on any 391 just too randomly problematic feeding second shell.

Another great thing about the 391 series, they are easy to clean and if anything needs repaired it's pretty simple plus parts are resonable and very avavilable. Use Break Free CLP and shoot gun wet, works very well. Shoot 4 to 5000 rounds, then deep clean, repeat.

I have nothing to say on the A400 EXCEL, it's a new gun, I have not shot one.

13. Indyfireman

Indyfireman Member

I traded a 390 and 303 in on my Fabarms velocity it was worth it to me the best semi auto I have owned. I don't think you will be disappointed in it, the adjustability is nicest around.
    Curt

14. windyflat

windyflat Member

Love my 303.... recently bought a bt 100 and within a couple months I sent it down the road and bought a bunch of ammo to run through my 303

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Good gun for trap. Maybe the most reliable for doubles of the cheap autos but still not good enough.

16. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Obviously the first choice of trap shooters is break open guns but if I was determined to buy a semi auto then I would probably look really hard at the 391. I used to shoot a 303 and still own it as a backup gun. It is a very solid gun and reliable. The 391 is very similar and has a ton of aftermarket parts available for it. If you plan to shoot doubles you're gonna want one of those things that knocks shells down so you're not raining them on your squad mates or worse yet bouncing the empties off of their guns and they are available for the 391, I don't know about the other one. As a side note, if you're shooting doubles with it make sure you use shells that are in good condition so the gun cycles properly as most autos are finicky.. I can't believe how many people try to run junk through their autos to get rid of them and end up causing all kinds of delays. Shooting an auto in registered trap requires more care and effort to be a courteous squad mate, those shooting with you will greatly appreciate it.

17. dt10john

dt10john Member

I have shot the 390, 391 and A400.

I own 7 303's what does that tell you? The 303 is still the gun for me.

18. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Was 303john taken when you signed up for your account John? Lol. Just kidding.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

When I shot the A400 it felt too light and whippy for trap. Great hunting gun!

I shoot a 391 with custom wood for 3 bird sporting events. No problems so far, but even the 391 is is a pound lighter than most trap guns.

20. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

im into 24 lbs of extra lite powder useing mt A400 an my UGB25 BOTH guns r perfect shoot all clay sports with both the 400 in a full hunter model smokes at tower shoots an the duck blind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a400 vs al391 teknys
beretta a400 multitarget reviews
beretta a400 xcel vs fabarm xlr5
beretta multitarget problems
betetta a400 excel multitarget
compair fabarm velocity to beretta multi target

fabarm xlr5 vs beretta a400

how to adjust a a400 multi target