1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta X-Tra Grain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 007, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007

007 Member

I have noticed that most of the Beretta 391 auto. guns are being delivered with X-Tra grain wood. Does anyone know anything about the process? Is it the same process of glueing a thin layer of some kind of contact material on the wood? I am in the market for a new 391 but I need to know about this first.

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

You are thinking of the older Xtra-Wood stocks that used a film that resembled high grade wood. It was the same process when they put camo on the stocks. The Xtra-Grain is a wood stock that the grain has been enhanced by a staining and finishing process.
    Mike Battista
    Silver Dollar Firearms

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have the X-tra Grain on a Urika 2 Sporting. I like it. Nothing fake about my stock. Enhanced? I don't know? I'm not dipped, painted or whatever. My grain on the exterior matches the interior of my forend and my grain carries through the butt stock. All you have to do is take off the butt pad it is that obvious. Pretty much a blind man could see it.

I tossed it around and mulled over the decission to buy the Urika 2 Std. Sptg. or the Urika 2 Gold Sptg. for two weeks. I went with the Urika 2 Std.. I feel the wood is nicer on mine and I didn't think the gold birds were all that. The gold birds didn't float my boat but are a nice touch if that's your bag.

I've been shooting skeet and wobble pretty regularly with it this summer in 95 deg. heat and my stock finish hasn't fallen off or ran down the side of my face. Just my experience and I'm more than satisfied with mine. I've encountered no cycling problems out of the box or now down the road with a 1000+ rounds through it.

Is the general feelings about the X-tra Wood "I didn't know it was contact paper when I bought it." I hear if you have one with the X-tra Wood that looks shabby that they will re-dip it for ya. So I heard.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They use a laser process that instills the grain all the way into the wood. It is not a film or a laminant like a lot of people believe. It cuts, sands and stains just like any other wood. Some think it's gawdy, some like how it looks.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1822.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Nothing wrong with that look to me. Looks great. I like it because it looks similar to my Sporting. I prefer that to contact paper, that ply-wood they stick on Remingtons or that poplar that Mossberg uses. They (Beretta) are using walnut.

6. samiam03

samiam03 Member

My 391 urika2 has the exact same grain patterns.

Sam

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I would think if you wanted a plastic stock you would get a synthetic. Alot of quality synthetic stuff out there to choose from. Actually the newer black Beretta synthetic they have on their Sporting version is pretty nice. A guy has been shooting skeet with one over the last few weeks. That must be a real kick in the a$$ to get home and find your stock to be only a piece of white pine with contact paper on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta x-tra grain

beretta x-tra wood logo on stock

beretta xtra grain

beretta xtra grain problems

is beretta xtra grain real wood

urika 2 xtra grain

what is beretta x-tra grain walnut
xta grain beretta