1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HDKING, Sep 22, 2013.

1. HDKING

HDKING TS Member

Im thinking its time to go back to a unsingle combo, i have been thinking about a 687 from Joel Etchen and would like some pros and cons about them ,would love a k 80 or perazzi but just dont shoot enough to justify the price

2. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

I shoot a 682 Gold combo. I cant afford a P gun or a k gun.

Pros: will grind every target you do your part to hit. Easy to clean. Ease to maintain. If in the event it hits the ground the pucker factor is not that of a 15000 dollar gun. lol

Cons: Not many to choose from other then it is a mildly mass produced gun. Not in the same catagory of affore mentioned guns. Its is lighter weight. I weighted mine down and am in the process of getting a recoil systen put on.

Personally This is a stepping stone combo for myself. It has given me 3 yards this year and kept me in AA class.

I shot around 5000 registered targets last year and the action is finally starting to loosen up. For the Money for a New gun you can not go wrong.

Brady Gies

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've owned nine Krieghoffs and when the itch for a new gun struck five years ago, I went with one of Joel's 687 SPII unsingle combos. I bought a top single combo from him for our son in 2005 and based upon how nice it is, I bought what I consider my last trap gun.

My only gripes are with the buttstock. The Monte carlo portion extends back so far that it can only be shortened a little before getting into the MC's slope, the pistol grip is too short for wide hands and the factory's oil wood finish is muddy and hides figure. The second two are easily remedied - a local stockmaker added a piece of buffalo horn to extend the grip on mine and refinished the wood in a nicer oil finish. A stockmaker could also reshape the comb if a really short stock is desired.

[​IMG]

The guns handle well, look more costly than they are, shoot soft and the Optima chokes pattern well. You'll likely find the Improved Modified tube will be your favorite - even though it will only have about .025" of constriction, it will really hammer targets. I do suggest buying Beretta's extended chokes for a little muzzle protection, if nothing else.

Ed

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Buy the Beretta become a big dog with it and get a Krieghoff for free.

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

What Big Dog's are shooting a Beretta except "you know who"
    and unfortunetly, he's no longer with us.

6. zzoom

zzoom Member

I shoot a Etchen 687 eell top single, liked it so well bought a combo this year to have as a back up and doubles gun. don't think there is a better mid range gun.

7. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Hard to go wrong with the 682/687's. I've burned up nine 8lb jugs of powder through a 682 Gold E without any mechanical issues at all. Easily 20000+ rounds.

8. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Average Ed..Could you give me the name of the stockmaker that refinished your Beretta? Look's like he did a fine job and would like to send him mine to refinish. Thanks.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I will but I will warn you that he doesn't offer the fastest turnaround times. His elderly mother lives with him and has a slew of medical problems that occupy a lot of his time right now.

Paul Altland at Timberland Stock Shop near Hanover, Pennsylvania - 717-637-4978. If he doesn't answer and you leave a message, which is common, don't expect a prompt response.

His prices are very reasonable and his work is very good. He has done well over a dozen of those Berettas since I mentioned him in Shotgun Sports Magazine and the only complaint I've heard is how long it took. Here's another angle of my stock.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of three of those 687 SPIIs before any refinishing. Mine is the one on the right and my son's older one with Beretta's former oil finish is in the middle.

[​IMG]

As I recall, Paul's charge to strip the stock and forend, recut the 30LPI EELL checkering and refinish both pieces was under or right around $200. He doesn't do metal work, however - our adjustable butts were done by another craftsman.

Ed

10. mikey357

mikey357 Active Member

Nice-lookin' refinish!