1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta UGB25 Malfunction

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I have now put 8 - 10,000 rounds through my UGB and I like it a lot.

Yesterday I shot a 25 straight with it (which happens about once a week) using 3 dr. Federal Paper factory loads. (The point here is not that the Federal shells caused my problem, it's that I didn't - and never have - use reloads.) Later in the day I re-assembled the gun and noted that it would not lock up when I closed it.

It turns out that the the cross bolt (which acts a lot like the cross bolt in a SO3) was still sticking out on the side after the gun closes. This lets the barrel jump back up about 1/4 inch at the breach when I close it, which is both audible and very noticeable, so I'm sure it didn't happen while I was shooting.

If I press the cross bolt with my thumb, it slides home and the gun appears to stay locked, but I'm not willing to shoot it under these circumstances. A close visual inspection (without removing the trigger group) of the interior of the gun with a flashlight showed nothing obviously amiss, and a fairly thorough oiling didn't help either.

Before I start packing the gun up for shipping, has any UGB owner had this experience? Anyone know what the fix is? I have the sense this is fairly simple.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Bolsa Gunsmithing? My limited experience with them on my wife's Beretta 391 left me unimpressed. How about Cole - do they work on this gun or only 391's and the like? (They sure didn't want to work on my SO3.)

Thanks for any input or help.

Ted K.

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

try Duncan's in San Marcos.

dave

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Ted,

I had Bolsa do a tune up and inspection of a gun I was selling a couple of years ago. No problems. I went there because I was able to hand deliver the gun and didn't want to incur shipping charges. It appears to be a well equiped shop and the people were friendly and professional.

JON

4. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Federal paper shells have a habit of flaking off small pieces of paper from the mouth of the shell. On a break open gun, they can get under the ejectors and prevent lock-up. Might be the same on your gun. Jimmy Borum

5. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I actually had a good experience sending my UGB25 back to Beretta in Maryland for repairs. Down side was that I never trusted the reliability of the gun after that so I sold it. gyrine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta ugb25

beretta ugb25 problems

beretta ugb25 xcel trap problems