1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta trigger problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cueguy, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy

cueguy Member

I have a 682 Gold E O/U. I can shoot either the bottom or the top barrel, but not both, so I cannot shoot doubles. I tried to remove the trigger, but only can get the small screw at the front of the trigger guard out. Any help????

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

To remove the trigger ypu must remove the stock.
    Remove the small and large screws at the front of the trigger gaurd.
    Remove the pin that holds the barrel selector in place and remove the screw under the selector.

The trigger needs to be cocked in order to remove it.
    Could be a broken inertia spring.

Shawn

3. tammike

tammike Member

It could be your shooting a load that is to light to set the second trigger.

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

More than likely its the Inertia spring. The spring is so tiny and looks like a boomerang with a circle coiled loop in the middle.

This happened to my friend's Beretta 686

5. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I had a 682 that did the same thing. It was the inertia spring.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

To get to the trigger group, you just need to remove the stock. I am sure the the stock bolt is metric, my 682 came with a stock wrench. You remove the recoil pad and insert the about 8 inch wrench into the bolt hole in the stock. No need to remove the trigger guard.

With snap caps in the gun, pull the trigger on one of the barrels, bounce the butt of the stock on the floor, pull the trigger again, does the 2nd barrel fire? If not what is broken is most likely the inertia lever spring. This spring is straight with a loop in the middle. When the inertia block moves back with the recoil of the gun firing; the lever springs forward switching the trigger to fire the 2nd barrel.

Jason

7. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I have had 4 inertia spings fail in the last two years on my 682 gold E. At Phillip Crenwelge's recommendation I agreed to convert it to a mechanical trigger for is a permanent fix. We shall see...

Doc

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

If you look at the above photo, just above the trigger you can see the end of several pins in the side plate that hold various parts in place - one of those holds the inertia spring in place...

From the look of the system it is the one directly above the middle of the trigger - first one to the right of the open hole.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cueman,

I don't know you so it is difficult for me to guess at your mechanical aptitude. To replace this spring you will need fairly good mechanical abilities. This particular repair to your Beretta is something you should learn because the inertia reset spring will break again - probably after about 15K rounds.

Here is a short course from my memory (might miss something)

After you get the butt stock off pull out one of the hammer strut and spring assemblies. (the hammer will need to be in the fired position to do this) Then push out the small pin that is slightly forward of the front of the trigger. This will allow you to pull out the inertia lever and reset spring. Now put a new IR spring in the inertia lever such that the tail of the spring forces the toungue of the reset lever up when you apply pressure to it. Run a tooth pick through the hole in the IR lever and spring to temporarily hold the spring in place for assembly. Trim the toothpick off flush with the sides of the IR lever. Put the IR lever and spring back in the gun making sure you get the tail of the IR spring into the small groove in the IR block (still in gun) Once you get things lined up, drive out the toothpick segment with the retaining pin and reinstall the hammer strut. You will understand the operation of these components by moving the inertia block back and forth.

There is nothing about this operation that requires much force - take your time and take photos along the way in case you get confused as to how things looked before you tore into them.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions if you get into this and feel overwhelmed.

Oh- the most important thing - you can get a new reset springs from Coles or Beretta USA. - buy a few of them because shipping and handling are more than the single part price.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Allem's converted my triggers to mechanical when they installed Roller Releases in the receiver, so I've never had one of those springs break. But my son's 687 is seven years old, still has inertia pull triggers and hasn't broken one, either.

I have two readers and one local friend whose 687s came with triggers that function like they have mechanical triggers. I don't know if they are flukes or if something isn't set up right in them.

Ed

11. cueguy

cueguy Member

I guess I should have said that Cole's changed the triggers from inertia to mechanical. Does that help?????

12. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If your action looks like the above action, it may still be the inertia lever spring. If Cole charged you less than $100 to convert your triggers to mechanical, they may have just tweaked it to act like mechanical triggers.

I have had most of my 68x actions tweaked to where just the falling of the hammer or pulling to the trigger resets the 2nd barrel.

If you action does not look like the above, you should send it back to Cole.

Jason

13. oz

oz Active Member

I guess you SHOULD have told us they are mechanical triggers. CALL COLE....oz

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I had ssome rough parts in the inertia block that I was able to clean up in place

other times the parts hang up on the stock

regards

15. cafowler

cafowler Member

Have you had the gun in for a Total Cleaning or any gunsmith in the trigger doing work just before this problem started?

There are two pieces that are very, very similar, and if they go back in the trigger assembly on the wrong sides the barrel selector will only allow one of the barrels to fire first. I had this happen after a fairly reputable smith did a complete cleaning for me. Took it to another "reputable" smith who started lamp blacking and filing on these pieces. He couldn't fix. I just happened to be at a US Open the following week where the Beretta semi and 2 factory smiths were. Told him the problem, and he knew exactly what it was, took him 4 minutes to pull stock & two pieces out, swap them, and walla, it worked fine. The pieces are on each side of the trigger, and look identical, but they're not, one's 2.5 RCH's thinner or something.

He said it's one of the most common problems guns get sent back to the factory for. Needless to say, gun hasn't been back to the smith that mucked it up in the first place again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

any problems with the barrel selector on the beretta 686

beretta 687 acts like a mechanical trigger
beretta 687s inertia spring problems
beretta bl-1 trigger problem
beretta trigger selector faults
beretta686 problems
berettta 686 onyx inertia trigger problem

replacing barrel selector on beretta