1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Tekneys rib flys off

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My rib on my Beretta 391 Tekneys flys off, there is clearance when the rib is properly installed between the rib and the reciever, is there a locking piece that needs to be depressed that holds the rib on? If so mine is missing.

The rib retainer has been beating against the reciever and has started cutting into the reciever, rib retainer is the long piece under the rib that secures the rib to the slotted posts, it appears to be a spring steel sliding lock.

It appears that the sliding retainer is riding up the reciever and and un-locks the rib as it slides back over reciever by recoil and the rib flys off.

I was told that Beretts has been replacing the barrels to correct the problem, but what about the damage it did to the reciever?

I feel that this is a poor design that needs some corrective action by Beretta,
    a manufacturing defect.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. chuckles

chuckles Member

Beretta is unsympathetic to the ongoing problems of the Teknys, however I could give you $200.00 and pay freight if you would like to get rid of it once and for all...

let me know...

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have heard of others also.

4. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I have had the rib come off on my wife's 391 several times, sometimes when the gun is broken down. I found that it was caused by the barrel being a little loose, which frees up the rib to move off the keyways on the barrel. The cure seems to be to just tighten (and check frequently) the cap on the gas tube that holds the barrel onto the receiver.

Ted K.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Gary... for God's sake man they were never meant to stay on ALL the time. you of all people should know this. Get with the program man! Jeff

6. doubles100

doubles100 TS Member

Beretta "customer service" is the pits. I had the same problem with my son's Golden Trap about 2 years ago. Called Beretta and they pretended like it was the first they had heard of the problem. Eventually just BOUGHT a fixed rib barrel. I personally know of two other 391s with the same issue. One Dad told Beretta to go to heck and just fixed it with Loctite.

7. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

One of the kids I help had one fly off we put a set screw in the top of the rib Just ahead of the front bead.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Man, I read this same thread 5 years ago!

ss

9. 7771

7771 Active Member

At kingsburg 3 years ago during the SCTP State shoot my freind was shooting and his rib flew off 4 times and finally i had to let him finish the shoot with my barrel off my 391. so this problem has been going on for a while.
    Best of luck, Tom

10. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

This was a big problem with the 391 Teknys when they first came out (thought this was resolved long ago). The ribs were not fitted very well to the reciever. I had one and the rib rattled all the time and took an upward slant were it met the reciever. The slant was due to the under side of the rib being to long were it mated to reciever. I removed the replacable rib and carefully , with a jewelers file , finished the job that Beretta started by filing maybe an 1/8" of material away so it would fit. The rib still rattled though and that bugged me. So I took it off again and put a drop of Loc-Tite on each rib post and re-installed.....problem fixed.

I can see if you don't fix this and fit it right that eventual it could wear into reciever and or fly off. If your not planning on ever swapping ribs out , (as I was) to Loc-Tite it permanently to its posts.

11. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Just bend the tang at the rear of the rib so that when installed it comes up against, and not over top, of the receiver. Problem solved. We have two - my wifes had your problem, mine did not. Upon inspection this is the difference I found in the ribs. Made her's match - never happened again.

Joe

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Just keep telling yourself...Berettas are much better than 1100s...and worth the extra money. Repeat 100 times. Then, again, 1100s might not cycle right out of the box. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.