1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta stock removal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dzeh, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzeh

dzeh Member

I've got a Beretta 687 SPIII that I would like to put a set of 682 wood on. I know the stock bolt requires a long hex wrench to remove the stock bolt. Are there any tricks to getting the stock off? Any tips on how tight to tighten the bolt with the nez stock? Also what size is the hex? Are there other sources for the wrench other than the $25 one that Midway sells? With shipping I just think that's alot of money for a single wrench. Also I wouldn't mind getting an extra set of those tiny nuts for the fore end hardware (round sort of serrated edge). Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

First let me warn you that you must be careful when changing stocks as it may require a shorter stock bolt. I learned the hard way and it can be an expensive mistake. I just stuck the new stock on and went to tighten the stock down but noticed it was pulling the stock into the receiver. I stoppped but had already done some damage. Thanks to Llano Bill's help I was able to get it fixed for under $200.00. I used a 1/4 inch rachet with a long extension but don't remember what size bit fits the bolt head. It was something like a t40 I think. Sorry I could be more help but please be careful while installing the stock bolt. Jackie B.

3. dzeh

dzeh Member

Isn't it an allen head type bolt? I would think you could tell if the bolt was the right length by dropping it down in the new stock and check to see if it protrudes through the stock the same distance as the old one?

4. skeezix

skeezix Member

The Beretta stock wrench is a 6 mm allen wrench. There are at least 2 different lengths of stock bolts. My 687 (1990 vintage) has a slotted head / hex head bolt rather than the allen head bolt. My 682 and DT10 both have the 6mm allen head. I tried ordering the allen head bolt for the 687 once upon a time, but it was not available (IIRC it is slighty longer than the bolt on the 682)

Coles would be the place to check, they have the Beretta allen tool for $15.40

John

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Sorry, Phil, but you're off by a millimeter. The Beretta bolt head takes a 6mm wrench. The Perazzi, Kreighoff and most other European guns take a 5 mm. You can't grind a 1/4" Allen wrench DOWN to 7mm; 7mm =.284", 1/4" =.250".

Ken Rucker....Speedbump Stockworks

6. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Ruck is right.

The bolt is a 6MM hex head bolt. I went down to the local Sears and bought a 6MM 3/8 drive socket with the hex wrench in the end. Cost $10...works great.

7. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

That's right. I was having a bad weekend. Actually was thinking about the weird stock bolt Browning uses in their guns. It actuallly is a 7mm x 1mm thread pitch. I had Richie at Silver Seitz make me up a bunch of allen head stocks bolts so I can use the hex head when fitting up Browning wood on new stocks. Saves lots of time rather than using the antiquated big screwdriver system---you know-- brings it into the 21st. century. Not such a pain in the aXX. Have a good one guys! Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 682 stock removal

beretta 686 stock removal

beretta 686 take off stock

beretta buttstock wrench
beretta stock removal tool
beretta stock tool
beretta stock wrench

how to remove a beretta 686 stock